Singled out for having long hair.

Wimlore

Hey fellas, I got an issue. So someone give me a tissue!

Really though, I need this tissue to have on it the dress code standards. I work in the northwest, in Washington state.

All I am looking for is a copy of the dress code. I've searched this forum, google, contract, and my building and no one can reproduce this.

No need to read on unless you just want to hear the story... Really, I just need to vent (What driver doesn't?).

I have long hair that I keep in a pony tail. I keep it tucked up under my hat whilst I do my air-shuttle route. I will also keep it tucked under my collar, inside my shirt. When I stop for breaks, or go on lunch, or return to the building I let my pony tail down, outside the collar.

Here is what happened: I stopped at the Building to drop off my reds. I went to the bathroom, and let my pony tail down. I walked by my On-Car Sup whom has always complained about my hair but has never had any evidence to support his complaints and has continuously harassed me about needing to have it "up" while I am out on road, despite the fact that we are always INSIDE the building when he addresses this. He says nothing to me this time because I have called him on this before. Instead he asks one of the part-time supervisors to tell me to put my hair under my hat.

The supervisor then walks by a part-time employee whom is on the clock, with his hair DOWN and NOT in a pony tail or contained in any fashion (he's a metal head), AND also walks by TWO females whom are also on the clock, and NEVER have their their hair tied back (safety issue?) and says to me right in front of all of them: "You need to have your hair under your hat, always." This is the first time this supervisor has said anything about my hair in the entire 10 years I have worked with him.

When I return from the Airport I find a female driver, with her pony tail down and below her collar, walk right by the same On-Car Supervisor and he says nothing about it, and wishes her a good evening. I call him out in front of everyone that he has singled me out and that I found his handed-off request to be completely sexist and a form of harassment. His only argument was, and I quote: "Well, she's a woman...". I tell him to bother me while I am on road, follow me if he has to, and gain evidence to support his need for sexist micromanagement otherwise I will report it as harassment.

No where in my building is a dress-code form posted, and I feel this supervisor has it out for me because he simply does not like "hippies."

If anyone has a copy of the dress code I would love to gain one as well. I know this is a "small" issue but I do my absolute best to be a stellar employee and find this kind of nit-picking completely unprofessional.

I also can not find anything in the Contract (NATIONAL MASTER PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT and WESTERN REGION and J.C. 28 RIDER). My next step is to contact the union directly about this, should it go any further.

Hope you enjoyed all that. I know you guys will set me straight.

And no. I will never cut my hair. I will do my job 100% and give it an extra 150% because I love 'most' of my co-workers and enjoy being a team player. But never, ever, will I cut my hair to suit some one else's preference. Under a hat? Sure. But I would really like to see other employees treated equally, that's all. Thanks for reading.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its the old double standard thing--------Photog can fill you in on how that works. Personally I've always thought it was the guys who shave their heads were the weird ones. Good luck on you problem.

upschuck

Evidently, hair guidelines don't apply to air drivers. When she was a reg driver, she kept her hair up, but now she wears it down

oldngray

nowhere special
thai-girlfriend.jpg