Singled out for having long hair.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Then, how come the appearance standards are on UPSers.com? If they varied from region to region, (which they do not) then UPSers would need to have multiple sets of standards for every different part of the country.

Just because certain areas don't ENFORCE the standards, it doesn't mean they are different. I've gone to work with almost a full beard, and as long as you avoid the right people, you're fine.
UPSers.c0m does vary region to region.

ski or die

Ski or Die
So I went through this same thing back in the 70's. I was union clerical. Constantly being harassed, even though my hair only came down to about the bottom of my ears and over my collar. They wanted it above the ears and above the collar. Threatened with discharge several times. I went to the union, which absolutely refused to back me. So, finally I contacted EEOC which had to notify UPS promptly of the complaint. They backed off immediately but constantly tried to persuade me to drop the issue. I knew if I did, with the way union failed to stand up for me, the company would try to nail me on anything possible. Stood my ground. EEOC determined that if women were permitted to wear their hair anyway they wanted, men should have equal rights. Friends that I had that worked for other UPS facilities around the U.S. said that management was notified of the decision immediately across the U.S. I still have my papers from this decision. At the time they did force the women drivers to wear their hair up under their hats so they could force drivers also. But one driver I knew had hair almost half way down his back and he would wear a wig everyday without any problems. If UPS has this dress code as shown in the previous post, discriminating between sexes on how they wear and length of hair it is a violation of the agreement with EEOC. Probably wouldn't look to good in the courts with their previous agreement with the EEOC.

Wimlore

Well guys & gals I really appreciate all of your opinions and thank all of you for taking the time to read my little issue. I look back on it now and can't help laughing. Some people have no choice in what they do, and here I am flipping out because one person has a tiff with how I look while doing a job I love. I figure: if I have been there for a decade and the only problem they can find with me is the length of my hair, I must be doing alright. Hope everyone has had an awesome weekend so far!

Thanks again, buddies!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
So I went through this same thing back in the 70's. I was union clerical. Constantly being harassed, even though my hair only came down to about the bottom of my ears and over my collar. They wanted it above the ears and above the collar. Threatened with discharge several times. I went to the union, which absolutely refused to back me. So, finally I contacted EEOC which had to notify UPS promptly of the complaint. They backed off immediately but constantly tried to persuade me to drop the issue. I knew if I did, with the way union failed to stand up for me, the company would try to nail me on anything possible. Stood my ground. EEOC determined that if women were permitted to wear their hair anyway they wanted, men should have equal rights. Friends that I had that worked for other UPS facilities around the U.S. said that management was notified of the decision immediately across the U.S. I still have my papers from this decision. At the time they did force the women drivers to wear their hair up under their hats so they could force drivers also. But one driver I knew had hair almost half way down his back and he would wear a wig everyday without any problems. If UPS has this dress code as shown in the previous post, discriminating between sexes on how they wear and length of hair it is a violation of the agreement with EEOC. Probably wouldn't look to good in the courts with their previous agreement with the EEOC.
The irony is after all that effort you are probably bald now.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
If your hair is put up under a hat where I am they don't give you much grief. But they do have a right to an appearance standard. Keeping your hair tucked is great. Just do it every day. Don't let it down for any reason in public while on the clock. In the back of the truck with all doors shut, fine. If the guy keeps messing with you start grieving everything that qualifies. That usually either shuts them up or gets them replaced.