Situation about misloads.

laffter

We have a new (few months) full time sup in preload. I happen to be on one of the belts she reigns over. To put it kindly, she is a bossy, power hungry buddy*. She was hired into her position off the street and knows nothing about anything when it comes to loading. Pretty typical, I know.

This morning my pt time sup advised us that she will be writing up anyone who gets even one misload. By misload, I am referring to a package being on the wrong truck (not just loaded improperly). Whether it's a straight misload, a bad PAL, "off-sync", whatever.

Personally, I feel like this isn't going to get anywhere. It's probably just a scare tactic. But, if she proceeds with this... I have a few questions.

Can people legitimately be written up (warning letter?) for misloads? Can they be fired if misloads continue? If I am issued a warning or whatever it would be, for a misload, and asked to sign something, should I refuse to sign? I don't know what the contract states about any of this.

upschick95

Talk to your shop steward, I have not loaded in years however they tried that then too. They can do whatever they want, its up to you and all of us to show them they can't. I personaly R.T.S. everything, and file a grevence if you are given a warreing letter. I would always use "you cant prove I was the one that misloaded that package" because they can't when it comes to misloads.

laffter

She treatened you, slow way down to make sure you don't have any.

That is the plan, if I find out that she is seriously doing this. I guess I will find out tomorrow. I'm sure there will be misloads on her belts.

I can follow their methods. I can compare the addresses on labels/PALs. I can check, double check, and triple check every package I put into every car. Then I'll see how they feel when my drivers can't leave until way after 9am... and when my slide is backing up to the belt every moment of the day. Yeah, I can do that, all to avoid occasional misloads.

But I would still like to know about what I asked in the first post. If I am approached by her tomorrow regarding a misload, I'd like to already know how to respond.

DS

Fenderbender
She treatened you, slow way down to make sure you don't have any.
:wink2:
DS likes this .
Yes you can be fired for it if they don't like you.
(sad but true)
Try to focus on quality not quantity.
Question everything.Make it their problem.
Try to find the good qualities the buddyh has
and compliment her.Remember,her job is being
threatened daily to squeeze water from a stone,
so just smile and do your best.
You are not alone.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
come in every day on time and just load everything in sequence as best you can, while moving with a sense of urgency

if queried, say you are doing the above to the best of your ability

there is literally nothing more anyone in preload can ask of you

laffter

Try to find the good qualities the buddyh has
and compliment her.Remember,her job is being
threatened daily to squeeze water from a stone,

I can't quite tell if the first part of this is a joke.

I can almost guarantee that the entire thing was her idea. No sup has threatened to do this while I've worked there. But then again, I don't know what I don't know.

come in every day on time and just load everything in sequence as best you can, while moving with a sense of urgency

if queried, say you are doing the above to the best of your ability

there is literally nothing more anyone in preload can ask of you

In the time I've worked here, I've never missed a day and only shown up late one time... because I woke up to a flat tire and it was pouring down rain. Even then I only came in 5-10min late... soaked. My sup at the time seemed to praise me for coming in rather than scold me about being late.

Drivers are always pleased with my work, and some of them even go out of their way to deliver a misload if it is within their area, so that it doesn't get counted against me. Management KNOWS that I "bust my ass". I don't recall any of them ever questioning my efforts.

So the issue becomes that... if this vile woman does what she says she is going to do, she will be messing with those who should be considered assets to the center, along with those who don't really care, or don't try. Again, I don't see how this is anyone's idea but hers. I doubt the shift manager wants to see their entire operation full of new hires. They'd have more misloads per day than packages.

Anyway, I think my question was answered. Although nobody stated specific contract words. Maybe I'll ask my steward about it today when I speak to him on another matter.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

sounds like u are scared

"Scared" and "concerned" are two different things. The OP sounds "concerned" which means he takes pride in his work.

To the OP---continue to do the job the way that you are doing it now. Do not slow down--this will only serve to piss off the drivers.

Indecisi0n

"Scared" and "concerned" are two different things. The OP sounds "concerned" which means he takes pride in his work.

To the OP---continue to do the job the way that you are doing it now. Do not slow down--this will only serve to piss off the drivers.

How does it piss off drivers?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Preloaders here are being written up for misloads. The number of misloads that triggers the write-up changes with the wind. Make sure you write a rebuttal grievance for EVERY write-up. "Best of your ability" are words to live by.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It pisses off selfish drivers who don't understand how the inside works.

My start time is 0930 (0900 on Monday). It is very hard to get the NDA off when the preload is wrapped---it would be nearly impossible if my loader decided to "slow down".

This has been covered before but I will recap just for you: You don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em.

I couldn't care less how the inside works---load the car so that I can go do my job. It's that simple.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Then, why not get mad at management. They are the ones not starting either shift early enough. The preloader is doing his best. As I said before, and shall recap for those incapable of understanding, selfish drivers who don't understand how the inside works.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then, why not get mad at management. They are the ones not starting either shift early enough. The preloader is doing his best. As I said before, and shall recap for those incapable of understanding, selfish drivers who don't understand how the inside works.

I don't care about the inside one bit. Put the packages on the car so I can get the hell out of the building on time.

Indecisi0n

Upstates true colors shine trough yet again. Preload works hard and I respect those guys for the slave labor they give. If my loader needs an extra 15 mins then so be it. Who am I to yell at the loader or tell him to hurry up? I just take what air I can't deliver and give it to an air driver.