Size of retro check

onestoptogo

I did a quick calculation using past paycheck info on UPSers...

I made about $60,000 working as a driver since August 1, 2013 at $32.29 per hr.

So $60,000 X $.70 divided by $32.29 = $1,301 gross Retro check

So about the same as a mythical 40 hour paycheck (40 x 32.29=$1292)

When I first looked at your equation I did not believe it was correct. After plugging in a few numbers it is indeed correct. It makes the work of figuring the regular hours and overtime hours trivial. The proportion: (Current rate divided by Total Pay) equals (Retro raise divided by Retro amount) is not intuitive to me, but it works. Euler would be proud!

Sent using BrownCafe App

30yearstolife

When I first looked at your equation I did not believe it was correct. After plugging in a few numbers it is indeed correct. It makes the work of figuring the regular hours and overtime hours trivial. The proportion: (Current rate divided by Total Pay) equals (Retro raise divided by Retro amount) is not intuitive to me, but it works. Euler would be proud!
Sent using BrownCafe App

Thanks to you, upschuck and brownslave for confirming the validity of the equation.
I will phrase the equation another way to make it seem more intuitively palatable...

UPSMAN made $60,000 in combined overtime and straight time pay since August 1 at a base rate of $32.29 per hour.
How much combined overtime and straight time pay would he have made at a base rate of $.70 per hour?

There is no need to do the tedious work of figuring out exact amount of straight time and overtime worked since this is already reflected in the total earnings and will be reflected in the back pay using a simple formula:
$32.29 = $.70
$60,000 = $1,301

or

Hourly straight rate ******** $.70 rate_________
Total wages since August 1 ***Retro check amount

or

plug in your numbers...

TOTAL INCOME AFTER AUGUST multiplied by .7 divided by straight time hourly wage = Retro check amount

Of course the formula would have to be modified if you were in progression, and would not work for pay gained from grievances, workers comp or disability pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

30yearstolife

^ except I think its multiplied, and just consider the overtime a bonus and a surprise when you see it on the check.
Nope, the overtime (and double time for Holiday pay) is indeed already reflected in the equation because you enter your total pay (including overtime, double time, and straight time) since August 1.

TOTAL INCOME AFTER AUGUST multiplied by .7 divided by hourly wage = Retro check amount

30yearstolife

30yearstolife said:
TOTAL INCOME AFTER AUGUST multiplied by .7 divided by strait time hourly wage = Retro check amount

What about overtime hours?

Overtime hours are included in the equation since you are entering total income into the equation. There is no need go through the hassle of figuring out how many overtime hours you worked using this simple method. You can view your pay history back to August 1 on UPSers

Bottom rung

That's because the raise for top-scalers is 70 cents. The raise for a second year driver is 1.25.
You still should have gotten your yearly progression raise. I don't believe you'll get the wage increases of the new contract while keeping three year progression.

upschuck

Suppose there were a difference between your calculation and the gross on your check? Would you grieve for the difference or write it off as an error on your part?
Depends on how much it is. 20¢ no $20 yes, Not really sure where cut off is. I doubt you would have to grieve, though, just give them documentation, and they would pay. My management team would.

oldngray

nowhere special
common-core-math-problem.jpg