Skilled job.

BrownNinjaz

I am a loader.. is it possible to take a test to do a skilled job? I've been working for a week and I already do 300 per hour , plus the volume was slow. I don't know how the skilled thingy work..
^_^

Ask for the zip code packet to study so you can learn the sort. You will earn a extra buck an hour once you qualify and it's better on your back than loading.

UPSBluRdg03

Ask your belt sup or your full time manager. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Most of all treat the packages like each one belongs too you.

Sanchez

yeah i am in the same position as my boy above. i've been here a 2 months and i'm ready to move up. screw goin by seniority i'm redy for another job i'm also a very good worker. how do i get a better job?

UPSGUY72

yeah i am in the same position as my boy above. i've been here a 2 months and i'm ready to move up. screw goin by seniority i'm redy for another job i'm also a very good worker. how do i get a better job?

Your in the union so get use to going by SENORITY if not go find a other job. I sure there are other people with more senority than you that want a better job too so just get in line and wait like everyone else.

1000RR

You get a better job by seniority, if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. I just passed my test and got my dollar raise. Where I am at you have to take a pickoff test. It goes by seniority, and when you pass you qualify and get the $1 raise. They allow 5 qualified people per dock, so if you are 6th then you have to wait for one of the other 5 to move to a different dock, job, etc. But it is all done by seniority, don't care how hard you work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lugo is your son? So is it true that he still lives in your basement?

Sanchise, you need to wait your turn like everyone else here on this forum has.

As far as getting a better job, I suggest you work on your writing skills.

BrownNinjaz

They said I am a very good worker. My training told his manager that I was a very good worker like if I have been there for 10 years. I told a management or what ever that if it's possible to do a skilled job because loading is easy. That's what I told him and he laugh and said that they had a meeting that I was a very good worker .. that I smile all day... even if there's a lot of package coming toward me.. I still smile. ^_^. I think I want to do sorting because I am trying to take care of my back. Also, will there be a problem if they let me leave earlier? Like 4 or 4 and a half hour if sorting? They do let me leave earlier when loading.

I only misloaded once.. the supervisor was looking for the missing one in the trailer. Other than that, I am a good worker, but I know they don't like it if i misload. I was confused because I was loading like 3 trucks.. He kept moving me.. it was horrible. ^_^;; I just want to stay in one place.

Nimnim

The Nim
They said I am a very good worker. My training told his manager that I was a very good worker like if I have been there for 10 years. I told a management or what ever that if it's possible to do a skilled job because loading is easy. That's what I told him and he laugh and said that they had a meeting that I was a very good worker .. that I smile all day... even if there's a lot of package coming toward me.. I still smile. ^_^. I think I want to do sorting because I am trying to take care of my back. Also, will there be a problem if they let me leave earlier? Like 4 or 4 and a half hour if sorting? They do let me leave earlier when loading.

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself. If you do become a sorter you're likely to have little issue with leaving earlier than you do loading as the unload feeds the sort, and the sort sends to the load. So unload and sort finish before the load does, sometimes by a pretty fair margin.

BrownNinjaz

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself. If you do become a sorter you're likely to have little issue with leaving earlier than you do loading as the unload feeds the sort, and the sort sends to the load. So unload and sort finish before the load does, sometimes by a pretty fair margin.
I love math. I am OK with numbers. I am going to let them know that I want to do sorting. I will ask them for the zip code paper and study it and do the test. Is it hard? :)

BrownNinjaz

Let them know what position you want. Like unloader, sorter, or loader. In their meeting they will be like.. this guy wants to be a ..... he is a good worker.

Notcool

I love these new guys come to load for a few months and want to sort. :funny: I have been loading for five years and no sort position has been open to me. I got my dollar along time ago but don't count on changing jobs for a good while. Although it depends on your hub.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The day sort , sort aisle, is easy to learn.

No, you can't decide when you go home. During Thanksgiving/Christmas they will want you to stay until the work is done, often 6-7 hours.

The day sort was running 11am- 6pm last year during Christmas. No one goes home. I was working 1pm- 4am during Christmas last year. Two 60-70 hour weeks.