Skills developed as a driver.

ups1990

Being a driver has taught me, as well as others to be efficient, to make decisions on the fly, the ability to not panic under stressful conditions. There are probably many more not mentioned.

The point is this. We take our work ethic when accomplishing an activity or chore. When mowing my lawn, it takes me half the time as my neighbor takes him. A painting project is finished in one weekend, while it would take someone else two. If we help a relative or friend move, no question that we'll work at a faster pace as them. It's not that were trying to outwork anyone, but this has become, well for me, my nature.

I, can't help it to feel like it must be done fast and right.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's funny you should mention this 1990. Yes, I agree, I do the same. I have a minor problem with doing this though. When I am doing anything with hubby, anything that requires walking, I have to make myself slow down. It literally takes a conscience effort to do it. He has very bad knees (about time for surgery, bad) and cannot even attemp the kind of pace that we do. Any wrong move on his part and he can end up on the ground at the very least or worse.

SmithBarney

Yeah the walking pace, gets me every time.

If I'm in the mall with my wife, she just gives up..
and the airport.. forget about it.... I'm long gone.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not to mention, shopping in loops. This is how we plan our day, because we're not skipping around, crossing major streets and shopping out of order.:happy2:

diesel96

Being a driver has taught me, as well as others to be efficient, to make decisions on the fly, the ability to not panic under stressful conditions. There are probably many more not mentioned.

The point is this. We take our work ethic when accomplishing an activity or chore. When mowing my lawn, it takes me half the time as my neighbor takes him. A painting project is finished in one weekend, while it would take someone else two. If we help a relative or friend move, no question that we'll work at a faster pace as them. It's not that were trying to outwork anyone, but this has become, well for me, my nature.

I, can't help it to feel like it must be done fast and right.

"Re: Skills developed as a driver.".....Yes...but not as a lover....you better slow it down in the bedroom son....

retired2000

yeah, i usher at ballgames and hockey games and i found that i need to slow down. i have since gotten over that as i have been gone from big brown for awhile now.

fethrs

2 cents here. I am not even a driver, though I did Early a/m, air and Sat air for a few years. I still use some of the seeing habits like aim high in steering, get the big pic, leave myself an out, etc. I find myself doing things quickly like I did when I was a pre-loader too, it has carried on to this day and it helps. I move and lift things carefully so I don't hurt myself too and if I need help I ask for it... sounds funky but it works. My hubby used to call me a macha (like macho) girl but I just said no, I work at UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I helped my daughter and what's his name move to North Carolina from Albany, NY, and I was assigned the task of organizing the load in the U-Haul. We made it there with only one damage (I blamed the loader) but it was one of the smoothest moves either had taken part in.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"I helped my daughter and what's his name move to North Carolina from Albany, NY.."

Upstate......this is definitely a dad's statement and it's one of my favorites from you. :happy-very:

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I thought that we were listing skills that we have or can do flawlesslly. Well you know those empty pepsi bottles. Yup, haven't gotten any on my shoes or the floor in over a year...... lol

Getting out of the car is a big one for me as well. Now not only do I leave her behind but my son as well. I guess I really need to pay atteintion, he is only 3months...

SmithBarney

Ability to put a 50lb box on the front porch without making a sound.
and somehow ring the bell and get back to the truck before the customer opens the door.

Ability to hit the brakes just right to get your boxes to slide forward on the shelves, so you don't have to go in as far.

Never has been the ability to open doors with 1 finger ever been so useful. as when your hands are full.

And for those lucky enough to have a route that requires multiple stops loaded on a handcart, the ability to stack them stop for stop... regardless of package size.

and of course the ability to navigate the tightest of situations with said handcart/4-wheeler

browniehound

This is a great thread. I agree that UPS has helped with the above physical tasks. The driving job has taught me something far better.

My social skills have improved. I am now the master of small talk when I didn't say a word to strangers before UPS. Also, I have absolute control over my anger now. I don't get angry at work but I did when I first started. I now expect the customer to say something stupid and I just brush it off. Maybe I'll patronize their ignorance (stupidity?) and act like what they're saying is original or something I care about, lol.