Skipping seniority and hiring FT off steets

Like many hubs, our hub has many on the seniority list waiting to bid a route, some have been cover driving for 8+ years. After peak, one of the seasonal drivers was hired as a FT driver and given a route that wasn't offered to anyone on the seniority list; how is this allowed? Someone with 2 months in can skip a list that has people on it waiting over ten years? It just seems as if favoritism has played a huge role, or this new driver has some relation with management.

Last edited:
What about the 6:1 hire ratio? Does that not apply when there's people waiting to go full time? Someone told me that that's the reason a new hire was able to go full time and skip everyone else.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

The only questionable thing I see is him having his own route. As long as 6 insiders were or are planned to be hired they can hire this guy.

I don't even believe 6 part-timers were able to go full time. At my hub let's say there's 52 routes, only 44 have FT Drivers, of the other 8 routes, 5 are only ran Tuesday - Thirsday, and 3 are full time routes that they use part-time cover drivers on instead of full timers to save money/grievances most likely. This new hire got hired full-time on one of those "open routes" that they didn't offer to anybody else.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

6 don't have to go first. They just have to plan on hiring 6 insiders by the end of the contract

T

Turdferguson

Like many hubs, our hub has many on the seniority list waiting to bid a route, some have been cover driving for 8+ years. After peak, one of the seasonal drivers was hired as a FT driver and given a route that wasn't offered to anyone on the seniority list; how is this allowed? Someone with 2 months in can skip a list that has people on it waiting over ten years? It just seems as if favoritism has played a huge role, or this new driver has some relation with management.
Was the route given to him a training route?

PT Car Washer

You say UPS gave him a route. Is the route permanently his or is he just covering the route because of short or long term disability by the bid driver? I have seen young guys running routes for years because the bid driver was off and the route could not be bid until the driver either retired or came back.

TheKid99

Not trying to derail the thread but...

If you bid on a ft driving spot, won the bid and became ineligible or disqualified do they email or call to let you know?

TheKid99

Trying to figure out why a guy with less seniority then me going to driving school monday and im still waiting.

Make no sense.