Slapped in the face by UPS

tieguy

Banned
Please educate yourself before you post something. The total laid off from DFW and CAE is 8. At least 60 are going to hit the street. The senior mechanics arent the first to go the junior ones are. In case you didnt know how senority works.

in regards to the seniority issue thats what he said too. Did you read his post?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Both UPS and FedEx have been out-sourcing various aircraft "checks" for years. These are non-union shops that typically are staffed by recent A&P grads trying to get experience. There have been a number of incidents attributed to such companies. Anyone remember a ValuJet DC-9 plunging into the Everglades a few years ago? It's all about saving money and not about the quality of the work. That's why they don't let their own highly-trained people do the job. Let some newbie fresh out of trade school do it for less than half the cost.

The particular company I'm familiar with starts it's people at around $14.00 per hour with minimal benefits, and I see FedEx and UPS aircraft flying-in all the time. The major airlines also use this facility as well.

Let's see. If UPS stopped out-sourcing this type of work, it wouldn't have to lay-off any mechanics. Hmmmm.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that crash due to improperly marked hazardous material and not a matinance issue?

I'm positive that the oxygen generators that caused the crash were improperly marked by a contract-maintenance facility, which was subsequently closed after the ValuJet accident. That would make it a maintenance issue in my book because a properly trained (union) mechanic wouldn't have made the same fatal mistake. That's the difference between a trained and experienced professional and someone making 14 or 15 bucks an hour.

tieguy

Banned
I'm positive that the oxygen generators that caused the crash were improperly marked by a contract-maintenance facility, which was subsequently closed after the ValuJet accident. That would make it a maintenance issue in my book because a properly trained (union) mechanic wouldn't have made the same fatal mistake. That's the difference between a trained and experienced professional and someone making 14 or 15 bucks an hour.

I think you're partially correct. A properly trained mechanic would not have done so. The fact the mechanic belongs to a union would not give him this knowledge. the training would.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you're partially correct. A properly trained mechanic would not have done so. The fact the mechanic belongs to a union would not give him this knowledge. the training would.

Agreed. Let me re-phrase it. A union mechanic, who is more likely to have been properly trained, would be less likely to commit such an error. The fact that the mechanic belongs to a union makes it more likely that the proper training would have been undertaken and applied by said mechanic.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Umm the AK airlines flight, maybe a decade ago?

Alaska Flight 261 crashed due to insufficient jackscrew lubrication, which was largely the fault of Alaska's extended service intervals, which ignored the manufacturer's (MD Douglas) recommendations. In other words, Alaska tried to cheap-out on maintenance procedures by lengthening the lubrication timeframe for the jackscrew. This would be the fault of the airline, and not the mechanics. Everyone on that plane died because Alaska tried to save some money.

This is one reason why I no longer fly Alaska Airlines. Since this incident, they've contracted-out all of their ground services to a third party provider. Result? Numerous aircraft strikes and a December incident where ground workers pumped de-icer into the cabin of a jet in Seattle.

This is what happens when airlines go the cheap route instead of doing it by the book with qualified workers. Don't fly Alaska if you can help it. They used to be a quality airline. That's no longer the case.

drewed

Shankman
Well to be fair almost all airlines have incidents every year, whether it be GSE hitting an aircraft, engine failures, landing gear malfunctions.

tieguy

Banned
So we are now up to three threads and I'm not sure we have accomplished anything. What is it the mechanics are asking for that UPS is refusing to agree to.

Johney

MONEY AND BENNIES AND PENSION! duh Tie, is that so hard to figure out ;)

oh and I think we're closer to 5 or 6 threads lol
Uh, isn't it a thread 3 pages long with 55 post's?:knockedout: Not 100% sure on my forum ediqate(sp?) but I think that's how it goes.

drewed

Shankman
No everytime theres a hiccup in negitiations or something pops to mind one of the AMTs starts a completely new thread, so theres this one and 5 or so others.

ups767mech

No everytime theres a hiccup in negitiations or something pops to mind one of the AMTs starts a completely new thread, so theres this one and 5 or so others.

So now we can't start multiple threads? I didnt know that was one of the rules. Noone forces you to click on the threads started by AMT's anyway.
Feel free to move on to something else you know everything about.:peaceful:

drewed

Shankman
No I enjoy them mech, i think the point tie was trying to make was we have serval threads on this subject matter, it would be better served if we had just one to focus on so nothing is missed :0

705red

Browncafe Steward
And you reply to every thread that has ever been posted! With or without of any knowledge of the thread!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And you reply to every thread that has ever been posted! With or without of any knowledge of the thread!

He's in training to be either a supervisor or a steward ... just hasn't decided yet.
Or he could just say screw it all and move to Upstate NY. :bigsmile2: