Sleep Apnea and treatments

MassWineGuy

I snore and am pretty sure that I have sleep apnea, but I've not been tested. I dread just thinking about a CPAP machine, but maybe it would help. Has anyone had success using a mouth insert?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone had success using a mouth insert?

I saw my regular doc Monday and I finally got to see a pulmonary doctor Tuesday, they both said that the mouth inserts seldom work. An advantage of the C-PAP machine is that it has a moisturizer system that keeps your mouth and throat from drying out. Since my last sleep study was so long ago, I am getting a new one done on October 19th. Its looking like I will go the C-PAP route at this time. I am just tired of feeling exhausted all the time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Time for an update on my condition. On October 19, I had my first sleep study done. I had my second one done Saturday night hooked up to a C-PAP machine, I went to my pulmonary doctor today for the results. During that first sleep study, I actually stopped breathing 60 times during the night. So I am diagnosed as having severe sleep apnea. The second study was done to measure the correct air pressure to keep my air passageways open. So I had the doctor write the order so that insurance would pay for the C-PAP machine. I'm off this week and I want to get used to sleeping with it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I started using it a week ago. I feel more alert now and I seem to have a little more energy. I definitely feel different in some ways. I'm still trying to get used to it, sometimes the hose or mask will wake me up. I'm hoping that I will be able to come off my high blood pressure medicine like my wife did.

Last edited:

gingerkat

Scratch, glad you're feeling a little better. From what I've heard it's just a matter of time before you get used to it. Best of luck and sleep hard!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I was diagnosed with mod. to severe sleep apnea about 3 yrs. ago.
Was put on C-pap. Agree with whoever said it seems that the apnea doctors want you on C-pap and "nothing else will work" according to them. (b'c keeping you on a prescription for the rest of your life pays their bills).

I hate it! If I wear it all night or, none at all, I feel exactly the same the next day.

Problem is, as a DOT driver, you have to wear it. After every yearly physical, I have to go to my apnea Dr. and get him to sign off on the memory card in my machine that shows how often and how long I've worn it for the past 30 days. I feel like a prisoner.

I think the C-pap machine is causing physiological problems with me and anxiety about going to sleep. I also think the humidifier causes problems with my sinuses. I'm looking at surgery next year to remove my uvula and poss. tonsils.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had the surgery done 15 years ago and it only changed the sound of my snoring according to my wife. I refused to use the C-PAP machine after that, I am stubborn. After having some good friends, my doctor, and my brother tell me about how much better they felt using one, I changed my mind. I am feeling much better now. Instead of getting up exhausted and sore, I'm just sore now. I am wide awake around 5:30 AM now, and for the first time in my life I can sleep on my back now. Before I preferred to sleep on my side. I am definitely more alert all day now, I'm getting used to it.

gingerkat

Well it's time for me to go in for another sleep study. I'm tired of waking every up every few hours all night long. Psychological insomnia maybe, but I feel like crap every day and I NEED uninterrupted sleep at some point!!!!

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I have been on a C-Pap for 6 years. Tried to used the supplies longer then I should have because of the extra out of pocket expense. Have been using Americare for supplies for over a year. They only except what the Teamcare pays. Brand new machine and supplies every 3 months with no cost to me. I have 5 tanks, hose, and nose pillows that I change out every 2 days. To clean, soak in 1/4cup of white vinegar with hot water for 15 minutes. Air dry. Keep it clean to reduce sinus infection.

MassWineGuy

I have serious sleep apnea but there’s absolutely, positively no way I’m wearing a CPAP. It’s not like I feel exhausted all the time or close to it. I’m not DOT, my route’s largely on a major, busy highway, so bring it on!

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I have serious sleep apnea but there’s absolutely, positively no way I’m wearing a CPAP. It’s not like I feel exhausted all the time or close to it. I’m not DOT, my route’s largely on a major, busy highway, so bring it on!
It’s insane to think people can sleep hooked up to that mask like a Chinese MiG pilot all night.

Commercial Inside Release

Medicare abuse gone wrong...
It all started in the 90s, when corporations found out they could manipulate the medicare system and use lobbyists to get rich pushing medical equipment.

Remember how they pushed a scooter chair for everyone on Medicare, "...at no cost to you!"
When they finally got pushback, they just switched to stair/chair lifts, then walk in tubs, then knee & ankle braces.

As the gravy train ran it's course, and they slowly got shut down on each one of those products... They changed tactics to DOT drivers, since they can leverage federal law & the medical community to force you to wear a CPAP.

It is all medical fraud, ripping off America, and with governmental blessings.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is in Australia, I hope it works and gets approved over here. Sleep Apnea is caused by your tongue relaxing when you fall asleep and your windpipe is blocked off so you wake up over a hundred times a night. I'm on a C-Pap machine, I had to be compliant if I wanted my DOT card when I was working. The quack doctors at the company's clinic started measuring necks during DOT exams a few years back so you have to get a sleep study done before they will sign a DOT card. I'm sure it will be lobbied against by the medical device companies. Hopefully Big Pharma will out bribe them.