Sleep medication for drivers

av8torntn

Is there a list of prohibited drugs for being medically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV)?
Section 391.41(b)(12) states: A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug. Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a CMV. This exception does not apply to methadone.
Medical Examiners are required to give careful consideration to the effects of medications on a driver’s ability to operate a CMV safely before rendering the driver qualified.

This is from the DOT website. A company is also allowed to ban additional substances but strictly from the DOT point of view it sounds like a doctor can give you an exception.

Is there a list of prohibited drugs for being medically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV)?
Section 391.41(b)(12) states: A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug. Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a CMV. This exception does not apply to methadone.
Medical Examiners are required to give careful consideration to the effects of medications on a driver’s ability to operate a CMV safely before rendering the driver qualified.

This is from the DOT website. A company is also allowed to ban additional substances but strictly from the DOT point of view it sounds like a doctor can give you an exception.
This all seems like a lot of trouble. Go to a shrink figure out you issues maybe take some time off. Step away and get some help. If you need a sleep aid( other than rubbing one out ) there are some real mental health issues that need to be addressed.

over9five

Staff member
This all seems like a lot of trouble. Go to a shrink figure out you issues maybe take some time off. Step away and get some help. If you need a sleep aid( other than rubbing one out ) there are some real mental health issues that need to be addressed.

I don't think this is the kind of advice Cheryl was envisioning when she created Brown Cafe.
Maaaaaybe we could steer away from that for a while.....

I don't think this is the kind of advice Cheryl was envisioning when she created Brown Cafe.
Just trying to help. I watch a lot of Dr. Oz and I hate to see anyone hooked on prescription drugs on any kind of drugs. Also sometimes when you allow yourself to make light of things enough you become more easy going. Letting it roll of your back like the late great Satchel Paige is the way to go in my book. Life is a joke most of the time and if you can do it in my experance it is a way to go for some who have those deep inner demons. The first half of my life was my anyone who knows my story a horrible ordeal. That's over and I'm rolling now and making jokes all the way. I don't take drugs or perscriptions. I like my beer on Friday and saturday but have no problem stopping and I'm sleeping at night. So maybe my methods have some merit. God bless

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I works for me!!!
The wonders of holistic medicines.

satellitedriver

Was it just mine or do drivers use their helpers to take a break from physical work? It made me annoyed when he used me to walk while sitting around in the truck doing nothing.

That's it? That's less than mile a day.
You seem to get annoyed easily.:raspberry-tounge:

That's it? That's less than mile a day.
It is an average.
Now to the math lesson.
52 divided into 125 = 2.40 -(miles)
You can not even do simple math.
In my 25yrs, I only had a helper for 2 peaks, back in the early 1990's.

You only worked through one peak.
I am willing to bet a weeks paycheck that you did not deliver, in your entire peak experience, the amount of pkgs I handle every month of the year.
Not to mention-(but I will)-, that I did have to drive 50,000 miles last year.
Your observations and complaints fall on deaf ears.