Slow down for dust!

Packmule

Once again I got sqwaked at by a rural homeowner for driving too fast past his house and kicking up dust on the gravel road. I was at about 15 mph.

Started me thinking about how states like mine with extremely high rural miles, are a financial drain on more populated states that carry us. Nowadays, probably 80 % of the country stops I deliver are not farm and ranch enterprises, which we all need out there, it's people who are simply choosing to live out there, but how no idea how much it really costs to service them.

In reality there are millions of city dwellers, paying exorbitant shipping rates, so these rurals can get manageable fees, riding on the coattails of farmers. And now they want to drive those costs even higher by demanding we crawl down the road simple for reasons of dust control.

Well, shouldn't that be regarded as their problem? Get your road sprayed, pave it, or move! But stop sniveling about dust when you are already getting a service everyone else pays for!
Am I wrong here?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Once again I got sqwaked at by a rural homeowner for driving too fast past his house and kicking up dust on the gravel road. I was at about 15 mph.

Started me thinking about how states like mine with extremely high rural miles, are a financial drain on more populated states that carry us. Nowadays, probably 80 % of the country stops I deliver are not farm and ranch enterprises, which we all need out there, it's people who are simply choosing to live out there, but how no idea how much it really costs to service them.

In reality there are millions of city dwellers, paying exorbitant shipping rates, so these rurals can get manageable fees, riding on the coattails of farmers. And now they want to drive those costs even higher by demanding we crawl down the road simple for reasons of dust control.

Well, shouldn't that be regarded as their problem? Get your road sprayed, pave it, or move! But stop sniveling about dust when you are already getting a service everyone else pays for!
Am I wrong here?
Most of the routes I run are mostly rural and I service a lot farmers and Amish people (Mennonites? I don't :censored2: know) and those ones are always pleasant but there's still more than plenty that just seem to be living out there because they can. Never had anyone whine about dust but in the winter there's people who will cry when I don't come or do an indirect delivery (if they cry about that it gets EC'd till spring).

I feel like rural addresses should be able to be classified as "agricultural" or "non-agricultural", that way the real farms aren't paying out the ass for shipping but everyone else can pay their own surcharge instead of sharing it with rest. Everyone has the right to live wherever they want but they shouldn't expect it to come with same conveniences of living in town.

Hump dump and roll

I just tell them I'll try and remember that for next time. Then next time comes and they complain again; tell them I forgot and I'll remember next time. They eventually get the point. sometimes consignees forget that they are the little fish the business transaction and their complaints usually fall on deaf ears.

oldngray

nowhere special
Those relocated city people will also complain to the county about why aren't their gravel roads out in the middle of BFEgypt paved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Am I wrong here?

Yes.

We tack on a rural surcharge to the residential surcharge for folks who live out in the middle of nowhere.

Obey the posted speed limit(s) and let your center team deal with any concerns.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
There is an area near here where those people moved next to a pig farm. And now want to pig farm gone of course. Pigs are way worse than cows but they were there first.

I delivered to a neighborhood behind a pig farm. I don't know how these people would buy a house that close.
The stench in the summer almost makes ME want to puke, let alone live there all the time.

Box Ox

Yes. Sort of like how the sun beating down on us on hot summer days is our problem. We chose the lifestyle. The idea of someone who lives off a gravel road complaining about dust is LOLtastic.