Slow down for dust!

Packmule

Most of the routes I run are mostly rural and I service a lot farmers and Amish people (Mennonites? I don't :censored2: know) and those ones are always pleasant but there's still more than plenty that just seem to be living out there because they can. Never had anyone whine about dust but in the winter there's people who will cry when I don't come or do an indirect delivery (if they cry about that it gets EC'd till spring).

I feel like rural addresses should be able to be classified as "agricultural" or "non-agricultural", that way the real farms aren't paying out the ass for shipping but everyone else can pay their own surcharge instead of sharing it with rest. Everyone has the right to live wherever they want but they shouldn't expect it to come with same conveniences of living in town.
That is precisely how I feel. And if the "choosers" actually paid what it costs to service them, how long would it take to see them having things routed to work locations and in-town family and friends???

Yes. Sort of like how the sun beating down on us on hot summer days is our problem. We chose the lifestyle. The idea of someone who lives off a gravel road complaining about dust is LOLtastic.

my bid route is super rural, gravel roads are the easiest way to make up time, never had anyone complain about dust not once, aside from on really hot dry days and it's a mutual complaint when I pull in their lane "it's dustier than hell today isn't it" or something like that, their actually kind of sympathetic when I open my bulkhead door and a plume of dust erupts I've gotten so many respirator jokes .

But if they were to ask me to slow down I'd say that as per ups policy I am to maintain the posted speed limit when possible and safe.

Yes. Sort of like how the sun beating down on us on hot summer days is our problem. We chose the lifestyle. The idea of someone who lives off a gravel road complaining about dust is LOLtastic.

my bid route is super rural, gravel roads are the easiest way to make up time, never had anyone complain about dust not once, aside from on really hot dry days and it's a mutual complaint when I pull in their lane "it's dustier than hell today isn't it" or something like that, their actually kind of sympathetic when I open my bulkhead door and a plume of dust erupts I've gotten so many respirator jokes .

But if they were to ask me to slow down I'd say that as per ups policy I am to maintain the posted speed limit when possible and safe.

oldngray

nowhere special

Gravel roads aren't bad unless they have washboards which can really suck.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I hear complaints about the dust all the time. Have to remind these people that I am, in fact, driving the posted speed limit, and that I have six very large tires on the road.

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to love the day after "grader day" on the back roads. You could really get the dust flying. Back then any package that had been with you more than an hour was covered with a quarter inch of dust and your hands were black as coal-----and you were constantly picking buggers-----fun times.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I used to love the day after "grader day" on the back roads. You could really get the dust flying. Back then any package that had been with you more than an hour was covered with a quarter inch of dust and your hands were black as coal-----and you were constantly picking buggers-----fun times.
They've been putting some kind of material on my dirt roads. It's black and lasts a lot longer than just a regular grading. A lot smoother too.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They aren't allowed to use old oil like they used to. Most alternatives are expensive so they mostly don't do anything for the dust.
Next time I see them putting it down I'll ask what it is. It almost looks like asphalt but it's not, because they're still gravel roads and it wears off eventually.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Believe it or not I kind of like that smell and skunks too,it reminds me of going upstate when I was a kid.
image.gif