Slow helpers. Not my problem?

OptimusPrime

They have sent me two guys. One in his late 40's, the other guy was 55. Have not heard a single peep from management in terms of our production or hours. (I don't take them into my apartments, but I seriously don't think anyone would care. I made that call.) Assume I should just enjoy chilling in the truck, digging and sorting, while they deliver? Have repeatedly sent message in regards to how long they should stay on the clock. Only response was "as long as you need them".

Hell, got back today, and my on car asked how it went. Before I could begin explaining the scenario, he said "Oh, it was you and X and there. He's slow but least he tries." I guess just enjoy the ride?

Cementups

Box Monkey
"as long as you need them" is never a response in our building. They used to tell me in my old route to keep my helper 3 hours and the next day they would say, "why did you keep your helper 5 hours after we told you 3?" I said, "Oh, I thought that was a minimum. My bad." Never heard another word about it and kept him 5 hours daily from there on out.

BrownArmy

I don't take them into my apartments, but I seriously don't think anyone would care.

Like you, I don't take the helpers into my apartment. I also cannot think of a single person who would care if I did, except maybe my wife.

How many apartments do you have?

seamoose213

Sorry to hear about the slow helpers OP. I just got on as a helper at the end of last week, and my driver and I have been a killer team so far. It's my 4th day riding, I've learned to use two versions of the DIAD skillfully (we weren't taught at orientation whatsoever), organize & sort the entire truck by myself if need be, and deliver both safely & efficiently. I know most of that is just pure common sense, but I am happy to know my help is probably appreciated by my teammate!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Don't worry about it, these guys are making 1/4 of what top pay drivers are, cut them some slack and treat them unlike what management treats us at times, human.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Don't worry about it, these guys are making 1/4 of what top pay drivers are, cut them some slack and treat them unlike what management treats us at times, human.

+1

Theres a big difference between $31 an hour slow and $9.50 an hour slow.

barnyard

KTM rider
My helper has no interest in learning the diad. None. I work around that. Yesterday, she was on car for a bit less than 4 hours and probably saved me a little over 2 hours of delivery time that would have been OT.

gingerkat

For you guys saying that us helpers are to be treated with respected and like humans...thank you. I can't even put into words what that means.

Barnyard, I wonder why she doesn't want to learn the diad? It's kinda cool when you feel like you're starting to understand things.

undies

I always buy my helpers lunch, everyday. It's a small gesture of thanks in my eyes. When we make as much as we do...we should be able to spare the $6 for a combo meal.

gingerkat

I always buy my helpers lunch, everyday. It's a small gesture of thanks in my eyes. When we make as much as we do...we should be able to spare the $6 for a combo meal.

OMG - since my meltdown on Monday, my driver bought me lunch, but told me it was my turn yesterday. So I bought him lunch. Oh well there goes my whole check - lol

J

jibbs

I'm thinking he said it jokingly and gingerkat took the bait. No shame in it, though, I probably would've grabbed him a McDouble, small fries and small cup of water if he asked, too.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always looked at getting a helper as a gift from above. I treated my helpers with respect, bought them a burger and made sure they had the proper clothes for the cold weather. That said I also let them do MOST of the running and I stayed in the truck and sorted , kept the DIADs up to date and STAYED WARM. Peak was my favorite time of year. Management seldom brought up "production numbers" and for the most part left you alone to make some sort of order with your blown out truck. I never paid any attention if they told me I could only have a helper fot X amount of hours. Once I had them they were mine until I felt comfortable that I could get off the rest of my stuff at a reasonable hour.

OptimusPrime

I have zero problems with the helpers. They are doing what they do. I was asking more about catching flack from management. Basically saying I should have realized they were slow and not used them.

barnyard

KTM rider
Barnyard, I wonder why she doesn't want to learn the diad? It's kinda cool when you feel like you're starting to understand things.

Because she does not want to wear cheaters, so she has a hard time seeing the board and the addresses. Plus, she pointed out, "I do this for a couple of weeks a year, I will give you effort, but I will not learn that stupid thing."

I can live with that.

cino321

Because she does not want to wear cheaters, so she has a hard time seeing the board and the addresses. Plus, she pointed out, "I do this for a couple of weeks a year, I will give you effort, but I will not learn that stupid thing."

I can live with that.

What are cheaters? (serious)