SMALLER HUBS VS. LARGER ONES

browner89

Very small center here, maybe 30k max volume on local sort, 30-40 routes. Nicest and most understanding management probably in all of UPS based on what you read here. We're definitely not the norm if you believe everything you read on this forum.

Before I started working I'd always browse here and got worried that I was making a huge mistake, glad that everywhere isn't the same.

Management still tries to screw you over on occasion but that WILL happen everywhere because certain levels of management have bonuses tied into looking better, I believe, and looking better involves sometimes screwing PTers. Though generally around here if you inform them just once that you won't take that :censored2:, they won't try again. Any hint of knowing how to play the game and they'll look for someone who doesn't know it's a game yet.

I also think that my managements approach makes things run smoother, when there is a general sense of trust and respect between management/hourlies the job just gets done much smoother.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've worked in both a hub and a tiny extended center (less than 40 routes) as a package handler and as a driver in the extended center. I have friends in the hub. We have supervisors that have also worked in both. The sups love our small center. Even now even though we've become more union minded lately.

The various things that others have mentioned that distinguishes hubs from extended centers is subjective to the areas we all work in. For example someone mentioned smaller buildings getting lighter dispatches. Well, my little center usually has one of the highest stops per car in the state. Big whigs seldomly step foot in the outlying buildings though. That is probably true everywhere.

Here an extended center is the place to be if you want to go full time driving faster. The trade off is, in certain locals, that you are likely never going into feeders because the hubs have everyone else locked out and are also doing their work. And your chances of moving into a 22.3 are about on par with going into feeders. And most of the smaller buildings only have a preload and reload shift. Many hubs have noonday shifts too.

Based on my experience I'd say it's usually better to work in a hub. There's more choices as far as jobs and shifts go.

ibleedbrown

in my experience.... same :censored2: different building. all depends on who is running things, some center managers/full time building managers/on cars can act like nazis others can be very cool.

imo small buildings = less hours and combo job/driving opportunities for part timers. w the new contract we can bid on jobs within district so that was a godsend!