Smart pickups/SPORH

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by selfcancelsignal, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Anyone know if stop counts go up if customers decide to become smart pickups? I've been on 2 different bid routes in the last year where 3 or 4 customers decided to become smart pickups, & I swear they gave & now give me more stops. More of a detriment than a benefit for customers to go smart pickup if this is in fact the case!

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Smart pickups do not come off the log unless they have not processed any packages within an hour of their pickup time. I have 4 of them and my dispatch had not changed.

3. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

What Dave said. Your planned day includes the pickups so shouldn't affect the dispatch, however if they don't ship that day and it comes out of your board you don't get "credit" for the pickup and your actual day doesn't include credit for the stop as you didn't do it.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

I just found my Walmart Vision center pickup is being converted to a Smart P/U. They ship out something every day so this doesn't make sense to me.

5. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

It's probably a global change to save a little money. A Walmart Supercenter I used to do had a vision center that usually had about 2-3 envelopes going out every night, but 1 or 2 days a week they'd have nothing for me.

6. StopTheAct

StopTheAct Member

Your stops as re going to go up nomatter what...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

For those that care, ORION factors in miles for smart pickups, regardless if you go there or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Nope, thats the attitude UPS wants you to have.

Slow down, use the methods, take all breaks (paid and unpaid, you know you get 3 paid 10 minute breaks in the west right?) and you will win every time. If they are telling you to go help this driver or that driver you take your second lunch everyday till that :censored2: stops

9. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Thats so they can over how good their numbers look that day not realizing that the driver didn't have that pickup

Lasted edited by : Jun 25, 2015
  10. box_beeyotch

box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

It also doesn't take into count the pick ups you make when you deliver to the business. It projects miles based on driving from your last stop to that particular pick up at scheduled time.

11. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

True....but in my case at least it frequently has me picking them up before 9:00 AM or after 5:00PM. Yet another reason for me to ignore it.

12. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

If these customers go smart pickup and you get a few more stops how is that a detriment for the customer? They don't ship out on occasion and you don't go there to pickup, am I missing something?

13. By The Book

We already know you get a free pass on most things, just add this to the list,lol.

14. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

I dont get a "free pass" on anything.

I am being given conflicting instructions, and am doing the best I can to follow the ones that make the most sense.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

Free pass.

16. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

There's a route I cover that has a smart pick up that is also an authorized early pick up with a NLT 1800 commit.

Orion consistently has you break off at 1 in the afternoon for a round trip of 3 miles to go to this pick up even though it won't cancel till 1700. Also there is a 1700 regular pick up the next street over. Needless to say, everyone is about 6 miles under plan on that route

17. Yeah, after re reading the post, the detriment isn't to the customer, it's to me. Haha.

18. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yep. Been happening for years.

19. By The Book

Just giving you a hard time, as most of their Orion metrics don't seem to be effective on your route.

20. By The Book

Thought so, sounds like they are averaging out the amount of smart pickups and adding in delivery stops to keep the stops per car metric up.