Smart pickups

Cementups

Box Monkey
Why aren't all pickups smart pickups? It would be so much easier and much less time consuming if we didn't have to stop at stops just to find out they didn't have any outgoing parcels.

mrbrownstone

Well what about the pickups that still use the book with just a barcode that isn't computer generated? Or the business that will occasionally use the "slips"?

Smart pickups are only good for the businesses that use the worldship program correct? Or at least generate labels through their UPS account such as on UPS MyChoice.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why aren't all pickups smart pickups? It would be so much easier and much less time consuming if we didn't have to stop at stops just to find out they didn't have any outgoing parcels.
I've ran into the other way around. A label is created so it tells me to go pick up.

Well they dropped it off at the ups store so I drove there for no reason even with a smart pickup.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
There's a business on my route that is a smart pickup but for some reason it cancels the pickup even when they have stuff shipping out. It's the most annoying thing and now I end up stopping there everyday just to make sure I don't leave them hanging. And when they do have stuff I don't know where to enter their packages. Our center tells us to never use unscheduled pickup so I just pick them up without scanning them.

Box Ox

There's a business on my route that is a smart pickup but for some reason it cancels the pickup even when they have stuff shipping out. It's the most annoying thing and now I end up stopping there everyday just to make sure I don't leave them hanging. And when they do have stuff I don't know where to enter their packages. Our center tells us to never use unscheduled pickup so I just pick them up without scanning them.

You've let your management team know, right? Is it a technical issue or the business not doing what it needs to do? If it's the latter, a note from your center manager to the business should make clear how smart pickups work.

BrownTexas

That needs to be addressed. Every time it is cancelled they aren't getting charged or getting charged less. You are solely responsible if ups goes belly up. I will blame u. Lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think Smart Pickups are the best thing since sliced bread; however, it does take some to train the customers. One example on my area is the Walmart Vision Center. They are a smart pickup which means I don't stop when the pickup drops out of my board; however, they will call the center to say that I missed their pickup when all they having going out are prepaid returns.

I have converted 3 of my pickups to Smart Pickups, which dropped their weekly pickup charge from $20 to $10. They have all adjusted quite well to the change.

Smart Pickups are designed for the occasional shipper and as such not all shippers will qualify.

Smart Pickups are a god send on rural routes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are cancelling the pickup to save $$. You are enabling this behavior by stopping every day. You should only stop when the pickup is in your board.

S

selfcancelsignal

1 of the best things about smart pickups is they have to be figured in for oh Ryan. They say they drop out an hour before the customers pick up time. I've noticed of late, it's been more like 45 minutes. This is the part they need to continue to tweak. Somewhere between 15 & 30 mins. seems about right. I've converted several customers to smart pick ups & have a few I'll try again on in the next few months.

As for the books, get with the times people! So stupid to have to carry that shizz around & turn it in at night when you get in. 1 of our routes has 10ish pickups on it & I bet at least 6 of them still use the book. Convert! Oh, & a couple of these book pickups are smart pickups. How the heck does that work?!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The program is the customer's choice.
UPS incents them by reducing weekly P/U charge to $10.

If and when driver's understand it better ... it may become a Feature of Service.

ArcherUTR

Some pickups may have important RS or ARS packages that need to be returned. They expect these to go out as a part of their daily pick up, but would not generate a smart pick up.

Should be an easy software fix, but good luck with that.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
Text your oms to send you a pickup for that stop every day otherwise you are not getting credit for making the stop. Also do not use special and scan them you get no credit for the packages you pick up by doing that.