Smith Steps In it With Ground

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know this has been mentioned already, but I think the new FedEx push for increased safety and professionalism over at Ground proves once and for all that Ground personnel are EMPLOYEES. As always, the issue is the degree to which FedEx, the corporation, exerts control over both contractors and their drivers. This latest move is proof positive that FedEx does consider these people employees and holds them to an employee level of compliance.

One of my first steps will be to send letters to the AG's of every state that is currently suing FedEx over Ground, and fill them in if they aren't already aware of what is going on. Just more bit of evidence that will help tip the scales against Mr. Smith, who apparently thinks he's bulletproof these days. The arrogance of this man appalls me, and with this latest move he has stepped in it up to his knees. I can hardly wait until it reaches his neck and he has to head to the sporting goods shop for a snorkel.

Fred was once a pretty good guy, but that's a long time ago, and it's about time he started playing by the same rules everyone else has to follow.

FedExer267

I know this has been mentioned already, but I think the new FedEx push for increased safety and professionalism over at Ground proves once and for all that Ground personnel are EMPLOYEES. As always, the issue is the degree to which FedEx, the corporation, exerts control over both contractors and their drivers. This latest move is proof positive that FedEx does consider these people employees and holds them to an employee level of compliance.

One of my first steps will be to send letters to the AG's of every state that is currently suing FedEx over Ground, and fill them in if they aren't already aware of what is going on. Just more bit of evidence that will help tip the scales against Mr. Smith, who apparently thinks he's bulletproof these days. The arrogance of this man appalls me, and with this latest move he has stepped in it up to his knees. I can hardly wait until it reaches his neck and he has to head to the sporting goods shop for a snorkel.

Fred was once a pretty good guy, but that's a long time ago, and it's about time he started playing by the same rules everyone else has to follow.
I couldn,t agree with you more MRFEDEX the bottomline comes down to what we have been saying all along we are employees just screwed out of the benefits that goes with being a employee.
I can understand the need for FEDEX to say something when it comes down to DUI'S, and reckless driving but parking tickets and fix it tickets are you kidding me and now we will get suspensions for 6 hours of service violations of up to 12 months. I have heard that alot of contractors want out now because they aren't running their own business just paying the costs of running FEDEX's business.
What happens when drivers start falling off like flies and they cant service the areas they have Contracts get pulled and they are left holding the bag. I like the idea of writing letters to the AG's of every state basically it comes down to FEDEX believing they can get away with anything.
If you want to treat us like employees, monitor us like employees, and penalize us like employees then you need to pay us like them too and allow us the same benefits you offer to your employees.
If you are a Independent Contractor you should be allowed to run your business with out the outside interferance as long as the contracts are getting serviced.
I have said it before FEDEX is saving millions on the whole independent contractor scheme and if they are going to want to run the show they need to recognize the frontline at ground and treat us like employees.
It will be intresting to see how this all plays out.

bbsam

Staff member
Before you end up looking too silly, signing the contract is completely voluntary. And yes, there are many who didn't sign it (all Home Delivery contractors in Peoria, Il). Personally, I want the money and am willing to spread it around with the drivers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Before you end up looking too silly, signing the contract is completely voluntary. And yes, there are many who didn't sign it (all Home Delivery contractors in Peoria, Il). Personally, I want the money and am willing to spread it around with the drivers.

"Voluntary" with a gun at your head? That's the FedEx way, at least over here at Express. Either do it willingly on a volunteer basis, or we'll make your life very bad for you. Just another way to exert more control from the corporate level. Hiding behind verbiage doesn't change the intent of FedEx management to change things to their liking.

bbsam

Staff member
"Voluntary" with a gun at your head? That's the FedEx way, at least over here at Express. Either do it willingly on a volunteer basis, or we'll make your life very bad for you. Just another way to exert more control from the corporate level. Hiding behind verbiage doesn't change the intent of FedEx management to change things to their liking.
More carrot than stick. Come June, settlement increases will probably be in the area that they want people to improve in, namely accident and claim reduction. It's really now a matter of price negotiation. That is, "OK what we want isn't worth it to you for x dollars, so how about y (in such a case where y>x)". Same way they killed the union when, for a short time it existed in RPS. Settlement increases for all the contractor except the unionized terminals. Their contract can't be terminated because without signing the adendum, the contractor isn't in violation of any article of the contract. Besides, individual contract termination is a long, messy, drawn out slug-fest. Could you imagine what would happen if the company tried to terminate the contracts on a whole terminal?

And really, MrFedex, don't we all want to change things to our liking? Let's not act like they are some kind of Evil Empire here. They are talking about incentives to get contractors to solve a problem that you and I have both agreed exists at ground. And in doing so they've remained true to the business model with risk/reward.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
More carrot than stick. Come June, settlement increases will probably be in the area that they want people to improve in, namely accident and claim reduction. It's really now a matter of price negotiation. That is, "OK what we want isn't worth it to you for x dollars, so how about y (in such a case where y>x)". Same way they killed the union when, for a short time it existed in RPS. Settlement increases for all the contractor except the unionized terminals. Their contract can't be terminated because without signing the adendum, the contractor isn't in violation of any article of the contract. Besides, individual contract termination is a long, messy, drawn out slug-fest. Could you imagine what would happen if the company tried to terminate the contracts on a whole terminal?

And really, MrFedex, don't we all want to change things to our liking? Let's not act like they are some kind of Evil Empire here. They are talking about incentives to get contractors to solve a problem that you and I have both agreed exists at ground. And in doing so they've remained true to the business model with risk/reward.

I agree with you that they're on target with trying to improve the professionalism over at Ground, but obviously disagree as to how FedEx is approaching it. You can call it incentivism, risk/reward....whatever you like. IMO, the fact remains that they exert a lot of control already and just added another layer of "rules" from Memphis. The business model is to control Ground, but try to step away from any of the costs and liabilities of running it. That's always been the plan. Those that don't choose to go along will be dealt with. That's the FedEx way. Just ask any of us who work for Express.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree with you that they're on target with trying to improve the professionalism over at Ground, but obviously disagree as to how FedEx is approaching it. You can call it incentivism, risk/reward....whatever you like. IMO, the fact remains that they exert a lot of control already and just added another layer of "rules" from Memphis. The business model is to control Ground, but try to step away from any of the costs and liabilities of running it. That's always been the plan. Those that don't choose to go along will be dealt with. That's the FedEx way. Just ask any of us who work for Express.
Obviously we see things differently. You from the outside me from the inside. I'm still looking for someone at our terminal to sell out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Obviously we see things differently. You from the outside me from the inside. I'm still looking for someone at our terminal to sell out.

Yes, I'm on the outside, but isn't intent a legal concept that applies in this case? FedEx is dangling the carrot, but you must follow their agenda in order to get the payout. Again, FedEx is simultaneously attempting to exert a greater degree of control over drivers while skirting the fringes of the so-called contractor relationship. More control, yet they are trying to appear as if they are on the sidelines. Let's see if they get away with it.

Do you accept on a contractor-by-contractor basis or by terminals?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, I'm on the outside, but isn't intent a legal concept that applies in this case? FedEx is dangling the carrot, but you must follow their agenda in order to get the payout. Again, FedEx is simultaneously attempting to exert a greater degree of control over drivers while skirting the fringes of the so-called contractor relationship. More control, yet they are trying to appear as if they are on the sidelines. Let's see if they get away with it.

Do you accept on a contractor-by-contractor basis or by terminals?
Contractor by contractor. More control or better results?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Contractor by contractor. More control or better results?

Both. More control and better results. We just got the memo at Express today detailing the realignment of Home Delivery and Ground along with the safety push for Ground drivers. I haven't had a chance to review it closely, but as first glance, it looks like a thorough reorganization effort is in the works. I'll look at it in detail when I get the chance, but it sure looks like a corporate mandated attempt to increase the control of Memphis over the operation.

Washu234

Both. More control and better results. We just got the memo at Express today detailing the realignment of Home Delivery and Ground along with the safety push for Ground drivers. I haven't had a chance to review it closely, but as first glance, it looks like a thorough reorganization effort is in the works. I'll look at it in detail when I get the chance, but it sure looks like a corporate mandated attempt to increase the control of Memphis over the operation.

FINALLY! Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect for my underpaid brothers in Green, but this whole mess is confusing as hell for the customer.

I have a stack of about 15 Ground packages sitting at every one of my drop boxes. I tote them out once a week - sure wish the customer knew what 'No Ground Packages Accepted Here" meant.

bbsam

Staff member
FINALLY! Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect for my underpaid brothers in Green, but this whole mess is confusing as hell for the customer.

I have a stack of about 15 Ground packages sitting at every one of my drop boxes. I tote them out once a week - sure wish the customer knew what 'No Ground Packages Accepted Here" meant.
Maybe you could contact sales and have a sceduled ground pickup there?

Washu234

Believe me when I say I've tried that before (but through dispatch). I don't want FedEx to fail, but this issue is a very tiring one. You must have a lot better of a two way with sales then we do at my station.

Sales doesn't even want to talk to couriers. Our Leed Coordinator and Manager talk to sales for us. When we're doing good we hear from the Leed Coordinator. When we're doing bad - manager. When we have to react to the bad manager makes the call.

Sales is so disconnect from the actual job that they often make promises we can't keep.

purplesky

Believe me when I say I've tried that before (but through dispatch). I don't want FedEx to fail, but this issue is a very tiring one. You must have a lot better of a two way with sales then we do at my station.

Sales doesn't even want to talk to couriers. Our Leed Coordinator and Manager talk to sales for us. When we're doing good we hear from the Leed Coordinator. When we're doing bad - manager. When we have to react to the bad manager makes the call.

Sales is so disconnect from the actual job that they often make promises we can't keep.

I have had alot of my customers complain to me alot lately about FDX ground for some reason. Its almost like ground has hit a wall on service or something. The guy that owns the route in my area owns 5 routes and the attitude of his $600 a week drivers is pretty weak. Another guy owns 11 routes. I cannot believe that FDX ground gets away with paying all these drivers no overtime. They are not contractors at all. They own nothing. I have yet to meet a FDX ground driver that is happy with their status at FDX. They all say to me atleast you guys at UPS get overtime. Why has the media not picked up on this story? It really effects alot of people. Is it because FDX spends so much on advertising?

bbsam

Staff member
I think you aren't understanding the contractor model very well. Fedex wants multiple route owners so they put in the EPP (Enhanced Primary Plus) incentive to make multiple route ownership more appealing/profitable. Now they want contractors to put in place safe driving programs with their drivers and put out the ECCS (not sure what the letters stand for) in order to get that done. I believe that Fedex falls in the guidelines of a contractor model with both. They can't tell contractors how to get to the results they are after, but they can set the benchmarks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had to laugh on Friday when I saw a FedEx Ground package properly DRd with a delivery notice filled out and placed on the package. I can certainly understand the importance of a delivery notice if you release the pkg in an alternate location but the pkg, which I think was a book, was leaning against the entry door within a foyer with the notice on the pkg. If I were the consignee my first thought would be that there was another package released in a different location because, as we all know, most consignees don't bother to read the notice, especially hand written notes.

bbsam

Staff member
I had to laugh on Friday when I saw a FedEx Ground package properly DRd with a delivery notice filled out and placed on the package. I can certainly understand the importance of a delivery notice if you release the pkg in an alternate location but the pkg, which I think was a book, was leaning against the entry door within a foyer with the notice on the pkg. If I were the consignee my first thought would be that there was another package released in a different location because, as we all know, most consignees don't bother to read the notice, especially hand written notes.
Yep. Goofy isn't it. Company sets standard that notice left at all resi's, therefore contractors and drivers leave notices. Now to leave the intelligently is another matter. Baby steps. Am beginning baselining with my drivers tomorrow to start getting standards up. We've gotten sloppy in alot of areas.

bbsam

Staff member

You are right. In fact I thought sales spent all their time at Express. I guess that's not the case? I don't know where they are.

You could talk to the contractor in the area. It's easy money. He could just enter the pick-up as an unscheduled one.