Smith's Letter to All Express Employees

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
During our last meeting with the director, someone asked why top-out times were so long. His answer was that it gave us "something to shoot for" in terms of our career progression and had nothing to do with the company saving millions. When I pointed out that UPS not only makes far more than we do, but that they top out in 3 years, there was an embarassing silence. His next response was the standard gibberish about following PSP and how FedEx didn't need a union because we were SO happy, and one of the Top 100 Companies to work for and on and on. After about 2 minutes of this BS, I simply asked why we werent simply allowed to vote non-RLA style so "we could just be done with this". Then I quickly added, "It isn't because you're afraid we'd actually vote for a union, is it? By this point, the mood in the room was pretty ugly, so the MD got an "emergency" call on his cell phone and had to rush out of the room to take it. He never came back. Later that day, one of my buddies called me to say that he had seen the senior manager duck into an office and make the call that the MD had to take. They are scared.

bbsam

Staff member
So Mr. The Mayor wants to be a General? If you want this fight, gird up your loins and do it. Yeah, the company's gonna play hard ball and some people will lose their jobs unfairly. But if there is the tidal wave of discontent as you and others suggest, then it takes only leadership. Or would you rather risk others on the front lines? Let them be the canon fodder? Very Neo-Connish of you.

quadro

Now, I'm going to call B.S. Can you name one other company besides Fedex that has over 100,000 employees classified under the railway labor act?? You and Fred can take your percentages and shove them up your you know what because in most cases there are only a couple thousand workers that have to be organized at once under the railway labor act.
Just to reiterate, I never said it was easy. I was simply commenting on a director not having an answer to a simple question. However, to answer your questions, while FedEx may have one of the largest workforces I don't think it is over 100,000 employees that would end up covered under the RLA. I think there are more than a couple thousand workers at places like UAL and AMR and SWA. They seem to have organized ok or am I mistaken?

quadro

Under the RLA there has to be a vote by everyone. Why not let all employees have a vote under the RLA, out in the open, let's see if the majority of employees are content and not in need of gov't intervention.
No there doesn't. That's not what the law currently allows.

quadro

O.k., so I call A.H. on your B.S. First, you obviously were not even in the meeting so I don't see how you can see yourself trying to pull someone's card if you have no premise to go off of. Second, you don't know me other than from this site or what type of person I am. I tell it straight. Like it or not, you will know where you stand. Third, my reasoning for saying that he didn't know what to say or even have a response is because we all know that Fed Ex is strongly anti-union. I just think that I shocked everyone in the room (and him) by having the stones enough to ask our D.D. face to face about such a "delicate" subject.
It's not even that shocking of a question. It's pretty basic in fact. Q. "why won't FedEx allow us to unionize under our current labor practice". A. "you can unionize under our current labor practice. The RLA requires 50%+1 of all eligible voters to vote for representation." Asked and answered. Now I realize that is a management answer but that's who you were talking to so I would expect to hear it from the director.

Next, I know that (as well as I am sure he knows) that we could go union under the current labor laws. However, as others have stated here, that would be just short of the 2nd coming. You know (or should know) as well as I do that any employee just mentioning the word union has had tremendous negative ramifications. Employees in the past who have made mention were quarantined, placed on suspension, terminated, or had there lives made so miserable that they left the organization.
What I know is that I have discussions about unions all the time with my manager and senior manager. I haven't been quarantined, suspended, terminated, or had my life made miserable. And it's not because I agree with them. I put them on the spot to ensure they are being honest with me. I want them to justify to me why I shouldn't vote for a union. Never had a problem.

FedEx courier

What I know is that I have discussions about unions all the time with my manager and senior manager. I haven't been quarantined, suspended, terminated, or had my life made miserable. And it's not because I agree with them. I put them on the spot to ensure they are being honest with me. I want them to justify to me why I shouldn't vote for a union. Never had a problem.

So How do they justify that decision? Why don't you enlighten everyone.

quadro

Oh cool, I get to call B.S.! The NLRA allows for local elections, the RLA doesn't. Again, if the company has nothing to worry about why keep the RLA designation? Why fight so hard?
That's not what you originally said. You said "Under the RLA there has to be a vote by everyone". RLA elections are nationwide but not everyone has to vote. You are free to vote or not vote.

quadro

It's nothing that hasn't already been said here by people who don't want a union. I just want to make sure they are being honest with their responses not only to me but to my coworkers. I personally don't think a union is for me but I absolutely respect that my best friend working next to me might have an opposite view. I want to make sure the managers aren't misrepresenting anything so as to unduly influence my friend's decision. But those conversations have never lead to anything like that which you suggest.

FedEx courier

And it's not because I agree with them. I put them on the spot to ensure they are being honest with me. I want them to justify to me why I shouldn't vote for a union. Never had a problem.

I was just wondering what they tell you and the reasons they say it isn't good for you. I don't really understand how having an agreement with your employer that has consequence if they or you do not keep your end of the agreement can be a bad thing.

"It's nothing that hasn't already been said here by people who don't want a union."
I'm trying to be objective but I really haven't heard any clear reason on this site why an employee would not benefit from having bargaining power in their job.

" I want them to justify to me why I shouldn't vote for a union." So do they justify that for you and if so what are the reasons.

FedEx courier

"And it's not because I agree with them"

I would say the reason you probably haven't had a problem is because you do agree with them. Just a hunch though.

vantexan

That's not what you originally said. You said "Under the RLA there has to be a vote by everyone". RLA elections are nationwide but not everyone has to vote. You are free to vote or not vote.

You are correct but it's more about I should've been clearer. Didn't mean every individual, just all locations at once as opposed to each individual location having it's own vote. Still, why fight to keep the RLA designation if the majority of employees are against unionizing?

Broke

Just to reiterate, I never said it was easy. I was simply commenting on a director not having an answer to a simple question. However, to answer your questions, while FedEx may have one of the largest workforces I don't think it is over 100,000 employees that would end up covered under the RLA. I think there are more than a couple thousand workers at places like UAL and AMR and SWA. They seem to have organized ok or am I mistaken?
There are around 79,000 express delivery drivers, so when you ass mechanics, csa's, sorters, and handlers then i'm pretty sure there will be over 100,000 total.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You put them "on the spot" to "ensure they were being honest with you"? Never, ever, trust a manager. The more I read from you, the more I wonder how much common sense God gave you. You certainly haven't picked-up any along the way.

FedEx courier

Well he or she is saying that they put them "on the spot", but it seems to me that is just talk. Quadro doesn't choose to say how he puts them on the spot or what all those great points they give him about hourlies not needing a union are. It's obvious quadro is here to enhance the illusion that employees can freely discuss such issues without any repercussions. It's like FedEx saying that they aren't anti-union in anyway yet in the past Fred S has openly stated he will never recognize one there.

I wonder what they do tell Quadro about the discrepancy is his/her pay compared to UPS driver doing the same job. What do they tell him/her about the reason that he has to pay for his benefits.

The Mayor

[
What I know is that I have discussions about unions all the time with my manager and senior manager. I haven't been quarantined, suspended, terminated, or had my life made miserable. And it's not because I agree with them. I put them on the spot to ensure they are being honest with me. I want them to justify to me why I shouldn't vote for a union. Never had a problem.[/QUOTE]

Well then, I am happy for you and would love to know what state, and or city you work it...I'm guessing Orlando, FL. I think its called "Fantasy Land" or is it "Make Believe World?" :happy2:

"The Magic Kingdom" is already spoken for I think..........

The Mayor

During our last meeting with the director, someone asked why top-out times were so long. His answer was that it gave us "something to shoot for" in terms of our career progression and had nothing to do with the company saving millions. When I pointed out that UPS not only makes far more than we do, but that they top out in 3 years, there was an embarassing silence. His next response was the standard gibberish about following PSP and how FedEx didn't need a union because we were SO happy, and one of the Top 100 Companies to work for and on and on. After about 2 minutes of this BS, I simply asked why we werent simply allowed to vote non-RLA style so "we could just be done with this". Then I quickly added, "It isn't because you're afraid we'd actually vote for a union, is it? By this point, the mood in the room was pretty ugly, so the MD got an "emergency" call on his cell phone and had to rush out of the room to take it. He never came back. Later that day, one of my buddies called me to say that he had seen the senior manager duck into an office and make the call that the MD had to take. They are scared.

Congratulations! You made the list too!!!!!!!!!

The Mayor

So Mr. The Mayor wants to be a General? If you want this fight, gird up your loins and do it. Yeah, the company's gonna play hard ball and some people will lose their jobs unfairly. But if there is the tidal wave of discontent as you and others suggest, then it takes only leadership. Or would you rather risk others on the front lines? Let them be the canon fodder? Very Neo-Connish of you.

Well, right now I would consider myself a Sergeant. But, hopefully after the legislation gets passed, I would love to move up and get promoted to Lieutenant. You know, they will need stewards, reps, etc... Who knows?

The Mayor

There are around 79,000 express delivery drivers, so when you ass mechanics, csa's, sorters, and handlers then i'm pretty sure there will be over 100,000 total.

Actually: FYI, there are approximately 275,000 employees that work for Fed Ex Corp. Of which, 164,000 work for the Express division.