Smith's Letter to All Express Employees

quadro

There are around 79,000 express delivery drivers, so when you ass mechanics, csa's, sorters, and handlers then i'm pretty sure there will be over 100,000 total.
Not that it makes much difference but I think you'll find there are only about half that many express delivery drivers. Somewhere in the 40-45000 range.

quadro

You put them "on the spot" to "ensure they were being honest with you"? Never, ever, trust a manager. The more I read from you, the more I wonder how much common sense God gave you. You certainly haven't picked-up any along the way.
When all else fails, attack the poster. Are you really that incapable of believing that not everyone is a sheep? You want everyone to take what you say as Gospel and follow your lead but as soon as someone posts an opposing viewpoint, you have little to no respect for it. Trust is earned not given and I've met some managers who I wouldn't trust and some that I'd trust with my life. Not everyone is out to get you. It might be hard for you to believe but some managers are actually good people.

And it's not that hard to ask a question that you already know the answer to in order to see if a manager is being truthful. Although that concept seems to be over the heads of a few around here.

bbsam

Staff member
So, quadro. I gotta ask. Just what is it that you did to finally incur the wrath of the Fedex Underground Freedom Fighters for a More Perfect Express and Elimination of Ground Movement around here? Seemed at one time they hung on your every word. Honestly though, I do enjoy reading your texts even when I don't agree...which I seem to remember being most of the time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When all else fails, attack the poster. Are you really that incapable of believing that not everyone is a sheep? You want everyone to take what you say as Gospel and follow your lead but as soon as someone posts an opposing viewpoint, you have little to no respect for it. Trust is earned not given and I've met some managers who I wouldn't trust and some that I'd trust with my life. Not everyone is out to get you. It might be hard for you to believe but some managers are actually good people.

And it's not that hard to ask a question that you already know the answer to in order to see if a manager is being truthful. Although that concept seems to be over the heads of a few around here.

The concept that seems to be over your head is that FedEx has a planned strategy to keep unions out and eliminate anyone who supports them. No, not everyone is out to get you, and there are actually some managers who covertly support unionization. The trouble is, they have to toe the company line, so even if they see nothing wrong with a union, if they don't report you for distributing literature or talking openly about the positive aspects of a union in a workgroup meeting, then their butt is on the line.

The whole thing comes straight from the top of the company and it's been that way for a very long time. You're free to disagree with me anytime you want, but if I disagree back it's not a personal attack, it's just me disagreeing with you. And no, I don't think you have much common sense if you cannot see what FedEx is all about. Trusting a manager will usually get you fired because if it comes down to an issue between you and them, guess who's going to prevail most of the time? I've seen couriers confide something to an ops manager, and then have it revealed the very next day. There are 3 I trust, all of whom I've known for over 20 years, and feel the same way I do about the company. They do what they have to in order to play the game, but they don't like the direction FedEx has been heading in either. One is a VP, one is an MD, and one is a senior. What does that tell you about this company when highly-placed mangment isn't onboard with the program? All 3 want Smith gone, and would like to see new leadership that is more progressive.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So, quadro. I gotta ask. Just what is it that you did to finally incur the wrath of the Fedex Underground Freedom Fighters for a More Perfect Express and Elimination of Ground Movement around here? Seemed at one time they hung on your every word. Honestly though, I do enjoy reading your texts even when I don't agree...which I seem to remember being most of the time.

Is there a problem with disagreeing about something? I generally disgree with you, but have learned a great deal from our "debates". Even if we are diametrically opposed, something is still gained from the exchange.

quadro

Not really sure. Can only assume that because I don't always agree with them I am a de facto part of the Evil Empire. It's funny how it's not ok to "blindly follow" unless you are blindly following the FUFFMPEEGM. I always keep in mind that the nature of this particular forum lends itself to the pro-union crowd. Personally, I don't care if someone is pro- or anti-union. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and I respect that.

FedEx courier

Quadro doesn't choose to say how he puts them on the spot or what all those great points they give him about hourlies not needing a union are.

So what are the major points then. What do they tell you that has you convinced that employees don't need a union. Again just curious. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think it was you that stated before that if FedEx changed some things they might be successful in keeping it out if the classification does change. Any insider info if there are plans of change in the works?

FedEx courier

Is there a Ground Movement around here? Seems like you're a one man army in reference to that.

quadro

So what are the major points then. What do they tell you that has you convinced that employees don't need a union. Again just curious. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think it was you that stated before that if FedEx changed some things they might be successful in keeping it out if the classification does change. Any insider info if there are plans of change in the works?
They don't tell me anything that has me convinced employees don't need a union. What has me convinced is my own research. I don't think it was me that said that about changing some things. If it was, point me to the post so I can see what I was talking about.
My point was simply that whatever a manager tells me, they are likely to tell other employees. As long as what they tell me is the truth, whether I agree with it or not, I know the chances are they are being honest with other employees.
As I've said before, for me it simply comes down to not willing to give up what I have for what I might or might not get. And as you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

FedEx courier

They don't tell me anything that has me convinced employees don't need a union. What has me convinced is my own research. I don't think it was me that said that about changing some things. If it was, point me to the post so I can see what I was talking about.
My point was simply that whatever a manager tells me, they are likely to tell other employees. As long as what they tell me is the truth, whether I agree with it or not, I know the chances are they are being honest with other employees.
As I've said before, for me it simply comes down to not willing to give up what I have for what I might or might not get. And as you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I did get you confused with someone else about the "changing things" issue. Sorry about that. Just saying I don't really understand what you think you are going to lose with this please elaborate.

FedEx courier

No. Re-read carefully. Take your time. Sound out the big words. You can do it.
You crack me up everytime buddy. What I really meant was you are the only one defending Ground around here. You labeling the movement "Fedex Underground Freedom Fighters for a More Perfect Express and Elimination of Ground Movement" implies that everyone is totally against you. Does the world feel like it's after you a lot bbsam. You are in fact the one man Ground army around here. Don't hear anyone defending the business model. I just like how you lumped yourself in with your broad stereotype of the typical Express driver.

quadro

I did get you confused with someone else about the "changing things" issue. Sorry about that. Just saying I don't really understand what you think you are going to lose with this please elaborate.
No need to apologize, honest mistake.

That's just it. I don't know what I will get with a union contract. I might get higher $$/hour or I might not. I might get cheaper/better benefits or I might not. Etc, etc. I've been around a long time (20+ years) and worked at almost a dozen different locations and my personal experience isn't what some around here characterize as the norm for Express. I've seen far more pro-employee decisions than I've seen pro-company decisions. For example, poor performance that I would have fired someone for but the employee is still here. Employees getting hurt and not only being welcomed back but given their route back.

I am not that naive to think that bad decision or mistakes are never made. They happen and will continue to happen. There's no guarantee that a union contract would solve that issue. Union members don't always get what they want either.

I have simply evaluated what I have, what I've seen, what I've read, and what I've heard. For me, that means that I believe a union is not for me. I could be completely wrong and be better off with a union but that's not a gamble I'm personally willing to take.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No need to apologize, honest mistake.

That's just it. I don't know what I will get with a union contract. I might get higher $$/hour or I might not. I might get cheaper/better benefits or I might not. Etc, etc. I've been around a long time (20+ years) and worked at almost a dozen different locations and my personal experience isn't what some around here characterize as the norm for Express. I've seen far more pro-employee decisions than I've seen pro-company decisions. For example, poor performance that I would have fired someone for but the employee is still here. Employees getting hurt and not only being welcomed back but given their route back.

I am not that naive to think that bad decision or mistakes are never made. They happen and will continue to happen. There's no guarantee that a union contract would solve that issue. Union members don't always get what they want either.

I have simply evaluated what I have, what I've seen, what I've read, and what I've heard. For me, that means that I believe a union is not for me. I could be completely wrong and be better off with a union but that's not a gamble I'm personally willing to take.

Do you know what a union will give you? A chance at a better life, that's all. No guarantees. But the way things are right now, you have zero chance of improving your lot in life, at least as far as FedEx goes. Did you read your little retirement planner that came in the mail this week? What an effing joke. It's chock-full of inaccurate information, especially that pie-chart on page 5 that categorizes the PPA as a "pension plan", when it is not. When will you ever figure-out that FedEx does not have your best interests at heart....ever.

quadro

Do you know what a union will give you? A chance at a better life, that's all. No guarantees.
Wouldn't that be an oxymoron? If there are no guarantees, how do you know that a union will give me a chance at a better life? How do you know my life isn't good now? How do you know that what the union will give me will be better than what I have now?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wouldn't that be an oxymoron? If there are no guarantees, how do you know that a union will give me a chance at a better life? How do you know my life isn't good now? How do you know that what the union will give me will be better than what I have now?

Bahhhhh, or is it Bleeaattt? If you're just hunky-dory with the status quo, then good for you. Right now, you've got absolutely no bargaining power against Smith, which is exactly what he wants. We could go union and Fred could lock us out, or more likely, he would be forced to let some of the moths out of his wallet. So far, he's walked all over us at every opportunity, which is OK with you. Wouldn't you like to put a stop to it? Probably not.

FedEx courier

Unions promote mediocrity and dislike independent thinkers. Quadro is certainly not medicore and is more than able to think for himself.
Does FedEx promote independent thinking in a courier? Do they want an independent thinker. Who cares if he's an independent thinker, if he's an hourly and employee and will get better benefits/money/job security of course he would benefit from it.