Smith's Letter to All Express Employees

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
bbsam, Mr FedEx and others---please know that jalnar does not represent the views of most UPSers (or anyone with half a brain).

He may not know how to spell, but his basic point has merit. We do very similar work, and the relative pay is quite unequal. However, joining isn't going to be "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

The Mayor

He may not know how to spell, but his basic point has merit. We do very similar work, and the relative pay is quite unequal. However, joining isn't going to be "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

I completely agree. Don't know if anyone else saw the article about UPS hiring an anticipated 25,000 new drivers over the next 5 years due to, "the baby boomer generation retiring and those with attrition, and senior employees over 30 years of company time served." The article then went on to state that, " the average UPS worker earns up to $74,000 per year." Now, I don't know if this is true, average or what. But, we here at Fed Ex are paid by different market levels. For example, a full time courier in let's say market level H made $57,000 last year (hint, hint). That is a $17,000 difference! That is totally outrageous! Its great that UPS pays what their workers should actually earn. It is a terrible travisty that we at Express are being bent over the barrel so bad. To all the haters and pom pom wearers, tell me you wouldn't like to make an additional $17 grand per year and I'll call you a liar to your face. What a effing joke. Classic example of how uncle Fred friend's us...

vantexan

I completely agree. Don't know if anyone else saw the article about UPS hiring an anticipated 25,000 new drivers over the next 5 years due to, "the baby boomer generation retiring and those with attrition, and senior employees over 30 years of company time served." The article then went on to state that, " the average UPS worker earns up to $74,000 per year." Now, I don't know if this is true, average or what. But, we here at Fed Ex are paid by different market levels. For example, a full time courier in let's say market level H made $57,000 last year (hint, hint). That is a $17,000 difference! That is totally outrageous! Its great that UPS pays what their workers should actually earn. It is a terrible travisty that we at Express are being bent over the barrel so bad. To all the haters and pom pom wearers, tell me you wouldn't like to make an additional $17 grand per year and I'll call you a liar to your face. What a effing joke. Classic example of how uncle Fred friend's us...

I'd be tickled to death to make $57k! On lowest payscale, best year ever was 2007, made $48k working 6 days most weeks. With that huge 34 cent raise in March I'm up to $17.09hr after 11 years. Figured that if we still had old raise system in place where raise equaled review score(for example 6.5 review equaled 6.5% raise) I'd be close to if not over $20hr. That raise system wasn't as good as when we topped out after a relative few years, but sure was better than what we've got now.

That being said, even with a union I doubt we'll ever see $74k a year or the great benefits UPS drivers enjoy. I expect all hell to break loose just as soon as Obama signs that bill into law(if it ever gets to him). It'll be fantastic if we get it, but don't bet the farm on it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
lol as a ups airdriver i make 22.05 a hour and it only takes 2 years to get to that.

Yep, and when FedEx or Fred S make a public comparison between UPS and FedEx they compare UPS air drivers with FedEx couriers. They don't use package car drivers. Just another way they lie and mislead the public about what's really going on at FedEx. Fred has frequently been quoted as saying that FedEx drivers actually make more than UPS drivers, but he fails to mention the distinction I just made above. Fred also doesn't mention that it takes about 20 years to get to top wage. It's difficult to ascertain what an "average" Fedex courier makes because there are multiple market levels and pay scales, another major scam. In many markets, a new courier starts at around $15.00 per hour. It might take them 12-15 years to break $20.00 per hour, another fact that Fred would prefer you not know.

vantexan

Yep, and when FedEx or Fred S make a public comparison between UPS and FedEx they compare UPS air drivers with FedEx couriers. They don't use package car drivers. Just another way they lie and mislead the public about what's really going on at FedEx. Fred has frequently been quoted as saying that FedEx drivers actually make more than UPS drivers, but he fails to mention the distinction I just made above. Fred also doesn't mention that it takes about 20 years to get to top wage. It's difficult to ascertain what an "average" Fedex courier makes because there are multiple market levels and pay scales, another major scam. In many markets, a new courier starts at around $15.00 per hour. It might take them 12-15 years to break $20.00 per hour, another fact that Fred would prefer you not know.

Not certain after this last raise if they raised starting pay, but on lowest "B" payscale it was $13.76hr. I started 11 years ago at $10.85hr. Frustrating after 11 years that I'm closer to starting pay than to top-out.

Broke

Not certain after this last raise if they raised starting pay, but on lowest "B" payscale it was $13.76hr. I started 11 years ago at $10.85hr. Frustrating after 11 years that I'm closer to starting pay than to top-out.
I started out almost 8 years ago at $12.59 an hour and I'm currently at 15.60 an hour. I'm too closer to start out pay than top out pay. Top out pay at my location is $21.06. This is so ridiculous and I'm suprised Fedex has gotten away with this madness for so long. I feel like **** every week when I get that little paycheck that I bust my ass for. Then we get beaten over the head week in and week out about how great of a company we work for. Hell, I've never made $36,000 a year with this company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I started out almost 8 years ago at $12.59 an hour and I'm currently at 15.60 an hour. I'm too closer to start out pay than top out pay. Top out pay at my location is $21.06. This is so ridiculous and I'm suprised Fedex has gotten away with this madness for so long. I feel like **** every week when I get that little paycheck that I bust my ass for. Then we get beaten over the head week in and week out about how great of a company we work for. Hell, I've never made $36,000 a year with this company.

You are a perfect example of why Fred S wants to keep his RLA special deal. It has nothing to do with service, the customer, or the US economy. It's all about the money, and as long as Smith can pay most of his people about half that of a UPS package car driver, he'll be happy. This is the core issue. By keeping the Teamsters out, Fred still has his underpaid wage slaves directly beneath his foot.

vantexan

Reminds me of when I worked on the Mexican border in incredibly bad conditions. They worked me like a dog for less than $13hr. One day struck up conversation with a truck driver at a truck stop, curious as to what he made. $65k a year. When I told him I made $27k the year before and probably wouldn't break $35k that year, he was stunned. He thought FedEx couriers made great money. I've heard that so many times over the years. FedEx has been very good with the propaganda. I bet alot of business people, when they hear that couriers might be given the right to unionize, probably wonder why we would need to since we do so well.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Reminds me of when I worked on the Mexican border in incredibly bad conditions. They worked me like a dog for less than $13hr. One day struck up conversation with a truck driver at a truck stop, curious as to what he made. $65k a year. When I told him I made $27k the year before and probably wouldn't break $35k that year, he was stunned. He thought FedEx couriers made great money. I've heard that so many times over the years. FedEx has been very good with the propaganda. I bet alot of business people, when they hear that couriers might be given the right to unionize, probably wonder why we would need to since we do so well.

Great point. The general public does think we make UPS-type money, which is a long way from the truth. The FedEx propaganda machine is incredibly effective at convincing the rest of the world that this is a great company, which it certainly is not. I wonder how much they pay every year to make the "Top 100" and "Most-Admired" lists? These two items are big contributing factors that help keep the big lie alive and well.

Our MD paid us a visit this week and he was so upbeat about our "great" company that everyone knew something was up. They are trying very hard right now to convince us that we should be happy about all the wonderful things they've done for (to) us. Lots of posters, pep talks, and HR reps visiting stations with MD's to gauge the general attitude of employees, which isn't very good. When "Mr Happy" finished his cheerleading, he asked us to provide examples of "what FedEx has done for you". Nobody said a word. Then he asked if anyone was unhappy about anything. Again, zero response. People are learning, and the lights are finally going on for most folks. Silence no longer means agreement.