Smoking in package cars

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I am guilty of being a smoker. I don't share my tractor,but I clean it thoroughly weekly. I go above & beyond when I go on vaca for the cover driver .Clorox wipes,glade,hell I even Amoral the dash and ceilings. When I was in pkg I was often told how clean my car was.. Some guys are just slobs,smokers and sunflower seed eaters. Depends on how your mother brought you up!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is now illegal in Oregon to smoke in a company vehicle and the company has been vigorously enforcing the rule. I am glad, although I do feel sorry for the feeder drivers who smoke since they cant just pull over any time they want.

I do think that the current campaign being waged against smokers has gone far enough. I dont smoke and I hate the smell, but we are supposed to live in a free country and smokers have become a convenient minority to target for additional tax revenue since they lack the votes to protect themselves.

There is also a new law here in Oregon that even prohibits smoking in bars and taverns. All the bars around here have set up outdoor canopies or covered areas where the smokers have to go. It doesnt affect me either way since I dont smoke or go to bars, but there is an element of the Big Brother "nanny state" mentality that I find a bit disturbing. At some point I think you have to let adults make choices for themselves and I think it should be up to the tavern owner to decide for himself whether or not he wants to allow smoking in his establishment.

As usual I agree with most aspects of your post and thought process.
I would like to expound on one aspect of your thought process though.
While it is true that we live in a "free country", I believe that this term is sometimes thrown around loosely.
I believe that this so called "freedom" should be, and is the case of smoking, limited when it affects the "freedom" of others.
In this case it's the freedom to be able to breath clean air and work in a clean, carcinogen free environment.
Freedom is only in it's pure form as long as that freedom doesn't infringe on the liberties of another.
So if a smoker needs to go outside or to a designated area, so be it.
Perhaps that's the way it should have always been.
It could even be viewed as a common courtesy, much as other courtesies are considered common place when we omit foul smells.
Does a person have the right to smoke?
I say not unconditionally.

TheKid

Thats nothing. Wait til you get one that has been driven by a sunflower seed chewing, tobacco spitting, peeing in a pop bottle driver.

Sorry . . . . I am guilty of two of those habits. And whereas you can't do seeds and chew . . . well you do the math.

over9five

Staff member
There is also a new law here in Oregon that even prohibits smoking in bars and taverns. All the bars around here have set up outdoor canopies or covered areas where the smokers have to go. It doesnt affect me either way since I dont smoke or go to bars, but there is an element of the Big Brother "nanny state" mentality that I find a bit disturbing. At some point I think you have to let adults make choices for themselves and I think it should be up to the tavern owner to decide for himself whether or not he wants to allow smoking in his establishment.

I totally agree that business owners should be the ones to decide if smoking is allowed in their establishments. I think most bars/taverns would probably be able to stay in business. Restaurants, in this day and age I think, would quickly go out of business if they allowed smoking. As a non-smoker I would take my business to a non-smoking restaurant. I don't think restaurants could survive catering to smokers.

Let the market decide!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In this case it's the freedom to be able to breath clean air and work in a clean, carcinogen free environment.
Freedom is only in it's pure form as long as that freedom doesn't infringe on the liberties of another.
So if a smoker needs to go outside or to a designated area, so be it.
Perhaps that's the way it should have always been.
It could even be viewed as a common courtesy, much as other courtesies are considered common place when we omit foul smells.
Does a person have the right to smoke?
I say not unconditionally.

I agree that, generally speaking, smoking should be prohibited indoors in public facilities. My right to breathe clean air trumps another persons right to smoke.
I just feel that bars and taverns ought to be the lone exception to that rule since they are places where smoking has long been customary.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect to be able to go to a mall or a theater or a shopping center, or to eat in a restaraunt or to use mass transit without having to breathe secondhand smoke. I dont know that it is reasonable to have that same expectation in a tavern.

tieguy

Banned
we have had the same driver for years who was a non-smoker. we then had one who smoked. We knew he smoked because every package he delivered reeked of cigerette smoke.

I'm a former smoker and don't mind the cover driver who smokes in my car when I'm out. If they want to smoke than so be it. The job is hard enough. I'm not going to complain if they want a smoke.

CRASH501

I drove the same package car for 4 years and my routine is simple, after I stop complete my last stop, I light a cigar for the ride back to the center. Never had a complaint by anyone who covered my route. Other than that I kept my truck clean, did my inside windows twice a week cleaned the backup ,monitor, dash ect........ after all we do spend 10 hours a day in and out of there on average.

MobileBA

"Thats nothing. Wait til you get one that has been driven by a sunflower seed chewing, tobacco spitting, peeing in a pop bottle driver." I know this driver he's a feeder driver. An interesting fact is that our Canadian truck driver friends have holes in their seat so they can poop in a bucket. You know if the wheels aren't rollin you ain't makin any money!

packageguy

Don't spend that much time in truck, and if I do, I have a spray sometimes cherry, pineapple, don't matter I smelled worse. That's why you carry a spray.

trickpony1

I don't think febreze works.
We had one feeder driver who couldn't make it from the gate to the 200 pad without a cigarette. Very heavy smoker, at least one, maybe two packs a day.
He thought all he had to do was spritz a little here, a little there, and a little more over there and everything would be alright.
What he doesn't understand is the smoke stench gets in the fabric, in the insulation under the floor mat and, especially, in the ductwork for the heat/air. The stench would hit you when you opened the door to the tractor.
It made some drivers sick when they had to drive his truck.
Kinda sad.

leastbest

LeastBest
I usually take August off and a few years back a guy who works out had my truck. He's eat tuna for lunch and tossed the empty cans behind the dash. Came back to work and it was brutal.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

bigblu 2 you

if there is a no tobacco rule in our buildings{ups property},then why not vehicles?{ups property}.we are pulled out of service for eating a sandwich or holding a phone to your ear while driving but not lighting up and smoking .we had a driver that spit red man chewing tobacco down the side of his truck.it would bake on the side in the summer and took the car washers extra effort to clean.