sneaky!

• Thread starter dont want to be known
  • Start date

UPS Lifer

UTR and Sober get the point. It`s not that they are following a driver,which is common,it`s that they are using a fellow hourly and especially a steward to witness for them. They tried this at the Cach several years ago and the steward told them to pound sand.

This may be a catch 22. If the steward agrees to go out and observe other employees, they are now placed in a position to witness any behavior out on the route. They may not actually discipline the driver but they are there as a witness. A precarious position to be in.... wouldn't you agree?

However, from a union standpoint, they actually witness what happened and can better defend the employee if the employee is disciplined and this goes to a panel hearing.

Tell me what the difference is between the manager, steward and employee meeting in the office for discipline or meeting out on area? Either way, the steward is there to make sure the contract is not violated.

If the steward is misled from the manager about the purpose of the ride-along then I would have a real problem with that. This is a practice that is in nobody's interest.

I think you always have to remember that supervisors and managers are going to go out and observe employees. This will not change. If you do something wrong that warrants discipline you better be prepared to suffer the consequence for your actions. No matter what side of the ball you are on.

I think any union steward would offer this same type of advice to any employee who knowingly breaks the contract or acts in an unsafe manner especially if those actions could cause harm or injury to others.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here's a good one. I was the subject of an OAO On Area (Observation) today. Here I am zipping along US1, headed north to my first resi stop. I was looking at my diad while driving with the bulkhead door opened. Failed to signal twice. Parked on the wrong side of the street. Got out of the driver side door with the pkg. Cut across the grass. Back to pkg car the same way, did I mention I left the keys in the ignition, no hazard lights on and the bulkhead door was still opened? When I got back to the car the District safety guy was there and pointed out all my failures. He asked me my name, which I gave him, and said he'd report it to my supes. Turns out he reported it this all the way up to my District Manager. When I returned to building, my on road supe told me what had happened and showed me a picture of my car on the wrong side of the street. Said I'd probably get a warning letter for this. Goes to show, we're not all perfect, eh?

Forgot to mention the $10 tip I got today, WooHoo!!!

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here's a good one. I was the subject of an OAO On Area (Observation) today. Here I am zipping along US1, headed north to my first resi stop. I was looking at my diad while driving with the bulkhead door opened. Failed to signal twice. Parked on the wrong side of the street. Got out of the driver side door with the pkg. Cut across the grass. Back to pkg car the same way, did I mention I left the keys in the ignition, no hazard lights on and the bulkhead door was still opened? When I got back to the car the District safety guy was there and pointed out all my failures. He asked me my name, which I gave him, and said he'd report it to my supes. Turns out he reported it this all the way up to my District Manager. When I returned to building, my on road supe told me what had happened and showed me a picture of my car on the wrong side of the street. Said I'd probably get a warning letter for this. Goes to show, we're not all perfect, eh?

Forgot to mention the $10 tip I got today, WooHoo!!!

Update: Got yelled at by my District manager via my dispatch supe, Case Closed. Needless to say, I was the Method Man today and punched out at 20:00.

SuperSup

You should be happy about this; the only time UPS can hold you accountable is when at least 2 management people observe you. Anytime it is a management person and an hourly, the policy states that it is for informational purposes only.