Snow Day!!!!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Got to play phone tag today with the bosses while they were waiting for the big wigs to learn to be compassionate and actually make it safety first and give us the day off instead of having us attempting to deliver packages in 20"+ of fresh snow, on top of the 20" we got Saturday.

So my question, do we get paid for the day off since it was UPS decision not to work? I couldn't find it in my contract book and am allergic to the search button.

Thanks

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't think that applies here when i was willing to come in and do my job and my employer tells me not to come in. It was a question of sincerity, not of idiocy. having only ever had 3 days off in my 16.5 years, it's not a subject that comes up much, so i ask my brethren.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Got to play phone tag today with the bosses while they were waiting for the big wigs to learn to be compassionate and actually make it safety first and give us the day off instead of having us attempting to deliver packages in 20"+ of fresh snow, on top of the 20" we got Saturday.

So my question, do we get paid for the day off since it was UPS decision not to work? I couldn't find it in my contract book and am allergic to the search button.

Thanks

If UPS declares a snow emergency and calls you before you start your shift you do not get paid and must either burn a day or take a dead day. If you are on your way in or are already at work and they declare then you get paid for 8 and they will find something for you to to in the bldg.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If UPS declares a snow emergency and calls you before you start your shift you do not get paid and must either burn a day or take a dead day. If you are on your way in or are already at work and they declare then you get paid for 8 and they will find something for you to to in the bldg.
Wrong

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I get to prove Joe Union wrong!!!!

Upstate/West New York Supplement, Article 53, Section 4--Emergency Conditions

In cases where severe snowstorms, acts of God or other unforeseen catastrophes disrupt the operations of the Employer, the daily and weekly guarantees shall not apply provided the Employer notifies the employees in advance not to report to work. Where the Employer fails to notify the employees not to report, employees reporting for work shall receive their contractual guarantee.

Being right has never felt so good!!

705red

Browncafe Steward

In cases where severe snowstorms, acts of God or other unforeseen catastrophes disrupt the operations of the Employer, the daily and weekly guarantees shall not apply provided the Employer notifies the employees in advance not to report to work. Where the Employer fails to notify the employees not to report, employees reporting for work shall receive their contractual guarantee.

Who are you and what are you doing reading your contract?

MD Dan

This was not a fit of compassion. They realized that they would lose more money by running the operation than by shutting it down. The big question will be tomorrow when the roads are still drifting shut and the wind chills are in the single digits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are so right. Why still have a 1998 contract?

Read much? The contract clause I quoted is from our supplement of the 2008 NMA. I remember this clause as it came in to play during the Ice Storm of 1998. The clause was in the 1997 and 2002 supplements and is in the 2008 supplement to the NMA.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Once again, Wrong.
You fell into my trap.
The OP, Cementups, is from Harrisburg PA.
Therefore is governed by the Central Pa. Supplement, not your Upstate/West Ny supplement that you are quoting.
I only chimed in the first time so I could throw in the Caddy Shack quote, "you'll get nothing and like it".
I do know that here, in my area, the guarantee is off in the event of an "Act of God".
It happened last year.
So in summation, you are wrong to think you know from your own regional language.
We are all from different areas and subject to different regional and local supplements.
There are many self proclaimed know-it-alls who will give ill advised contract advice on this site.
Consult your local steward or BA for the correct answers, not me and certainly not Upstate.
Joe Union says in your face with your short lived victory.
Now yawn and go to bed.

Last edited by a moderator: