Snow Day!!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
21 years driving and never had a day called off. Went in at 10 once and was pulled off of the road mid afternoon a few times but never stayed home. I have no problem with no work, no pay.

Dustyroads

In the central states the guarantee is 8 hours if you are worked, 6 hours show up if you are sent home without working. I think it differs with different supplements. No pay if they contact you before you show up.

rod

Retired 22 years
You should all realize by now that the rules change not from region to region but from center to center. It all depends on how gullible the employees are to what their fearless leadrs are telling them. If it isn't specificlly in your contract book you ain't getting paid for an "act of God"

705red

Browncafe Steward
You should all realize by now that the rules change not from region to region but from center to center. It all depends on how gullible the employees are to what their fearless leadrs are telling them. If it isn't specificlly in your contract book you ain't getting paid for an "act of God"

Its snowing what are we to do? It happens and usually not as bad as some parts are getting it. I personally would enjoy the day, yet we have employees that need to work everyday. Now just for sake of argument, if your contract does not have a clause like Upstates, would it not be safe to say that you are entitled to your 40 hour guarantee?

If there is no language addressing what happens due to bad weather, you could probably push the issue to get paid. But many people have complained that UPS does not do the right thing in certain situations like snow storms, I am one of them. Usually when it snows and we work the kids are a sleep when we get home, and all we see while working are parents playing with their kids in the snow, making snow men, angels, snow ball fights. Enjoy the rare storm and spend quailty time with the family.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Upstate hasn't replied in a while. I sense he's working on some clever trap for Bubble. Maybe not this thread, maybe not this week, but I sense another healthy round in the making.....

ddomino

In the central states the guarantee is 8 hours if you are worked, 6 hours show up if you are sent home without working. I think it differs with different supplements. No pay if they contact you before you show up.

What if you go in, work 2 hours, then they say go out in truck or go home, your choice? We will see next friday as 9 of about 80 drivers in a mega-center made it in yesterday, but only 3 decided to take the truck out. Management said "your choice".

metrophillyslub

hey domino... we must have been in same bldg yeaterday! i thought about taking the truck out but changed my mind and left.. awkward situation as usual. no one could say we were shut down ..

tieguy

Banned
Well we finally got our street cleaned up this week after a week of driving through snow. Huge front end loader came up and got us cleaned. There is so much snow laying around he ended up dropping the snow in peoples front yards. What a sight. Something about a front end loader of that size in your front yard that reminds me of a tyranisaurus rex right out of the movies. I have mounds of snow that are easily 5 to 6 feet high. High walled cattle chutes everywhere. I anticipate a lot of accidents in the area. there are walls of snow everywhere along the sides of roads. Makes it difficult for people in convential sedan style cars to see around them.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Well we finally got our street cleaned up this week after a week of driving through snow. Huge front end loader came up and got us cleaned. There is so much snow laying around he ended up dropping the snow in peoples front yards. What a sight. Something about a front end loader of that size in your front yard that reminds me of a tyranisaurus rex right out of the movies. I have mounds of snow that are easily 5 to 6 feet high. High walled cattle chutes everywhere. I anticipate a lot of accidents in the area. there are walls of snow everywhere along the sides of roads. Makes it difficult for people in convential sedan style cars to see around them.
Yup, still a mess down here too, though I think you guys got a little bit more up your way especially on Wednesday. There were quite a few front end loaders out on my route yesterday slowly getting the roads open, but I still brought back close to a hundred pieces. The word is that Monday we're gonna be putting on helpers and reg temps to try and get the backlog cleaned up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Friday was the first day since the storm(s) that we got all of our NDA on time.

Jones, they may need to give you helpers for both Monday and Tuesday as Monday is a holiday.

NHDRVR

We have been dodging bullets up here for about a month now. The past few winters were pretty nasty but nothing like you have in your area.