Snow in the South

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yeah, we know, your snow is greater, whiter, purer, wetter, softer, prettier, etc.

When cities get snow that don't ordinarily have snow, it's very crippling.

djkre8r

I was notified at 2:50 am that we were "suspending operations for today". Was suppose to report at 4:30am. (Rome, GA center).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They say that 4 times a season! Why don't they prepare???

Normally we might get some snow or ice once or twice a year around here. The terrain around here is called "rolling hills". That simply isn't enough to spend a lot of money on snow removal equipment. They will put a plow on DOT trucks to keep the main highways open and throw a little de-icer on the bridges. We don't have snow plows all over the place, meaning no neighbors that can plow the neighborhood clear. I still can't get through on the phone to my Center, it turns out they texted out to drivers about six this morning that the top half of the state is closed down. UPS.com has a list posted of closed states and zip codes. I don't do cell texting, and none of my management team has answered their cell phones yet.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They say that 4 times a season! Why don't they prepare???

Return on Investment. No reason to spend all that money when it only affects travel 2 -4 days a year.
Did I mention our taxes are much lower in Georgia than Taxachusetts?
Massachusetts probably spends more on snow/ice remediation in one year than Georgia has in the last 100 years.
Roll with the flow and enjoy the divine intervention.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I understand. Don't worry, I'm on my way to plow you guys out!

Thats what I was hoping, there will be plenty of cold Sammys waiting on you when you get here! Swing by and pick up Big too, I doubt he went to work today either.

wkmac

djkre8r and Scratch,

Tomorrow will be even more interesting because we'll get freezing rain all day today and the temps won't go above 32, maybe not even until the end of the week and more possible preceipt on Wednesday. Talked with my sup. early morning and then again within the last hour and tomorrow may in fact be iffy but we'll see.

Enjoy the day and by all means be safe!

Got a text at 0315 from my sup. saying that we were not working out in west Ga. The way it looks out here I seriously doubt we are working tomorrow.

over9five

Staff member
That storms supposed to be here Wednesday. 37% of the snow will fall in the early predawn AM, the rest during the day.

wkmac

That storms supposed to be here Wednesday. 37% of the snow will fall in the early predawn AM, the rest during the day.

If the low moves across south Georgia, north Florida, into the Atlantic and up the eastern seaboard, you got a Nor'easter coming and that could spell big trouble!