Snow in the South

lovemyupser

In North Alabama where we live the snow fall was around 11 inches. We are lucky to get any snow. For some reason each year that my husband has been a driver the first week of vacation he picks is when we have bad weather. We are less than a 10 minute drive to the center and it was odd driving by and seeing all the package cars still sitting there and a couple feeder trucks sitting there that came in over night. We don't have the equipment to plow the snow away. When I was driving around town I saw pickup trucks with plows on the front with Ohio plates. It looks like our city called someone to try to keep the roads clear. I understand why UPS didn't work today, when 99% of companies shut down because of snow why go deliver packages. If UPS works tomorrow I feel sorry for the guys and gals. I just looked at the list and it looks like the same amount of companies are closed tomorrow.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes we go out in that, looks like we had a reprieve, but we will get hit by this and the lake erie snow machine. Its very hard if you dont have the equipment to clear it. Or are not use to it. I am forever have lived in the snow belt. I moved but the belts waist has gotten larger, and Im in it again. I hate it, I just close my eyes and go.
I think they made a good decision as it puts too many people at risk. While I have every faith that my brothers and sisters could figure it out, It is the general public which makes it more dangerous.
Tomorrow or the next is a new day. Enjoy this day or two off, it will get done eventually. They are just pkgs, My fellow drivers are more important than that.
Ps thats why you see the trucks from Ohio there, they are just being opportunistic, they are headed home. They just wanted to see the "south".

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
After watching video of Atlanta on weather.com, I guess Corporate will forgive any EC's I have Wednesday when we get our paltry 3 inches.:happy-very:

UPSGUY72

Who else is being force to drive on the unsafe roads to go to work???

If you can't hang with the big dogs stay on the porch. Nothing worse than people that can't drive to start with trying to drive in the snow. I live in the northeast and it is amazing how many people can't drive in the snow whether or not they have 4 wheel drive. Just slow down and stop riding the your brake pedal and you'll be fine.

the south dont usually get snow so you guys for example in atlanta only have 20 salt spreaders for the whole city thats why the south is having so much problem with snow that here in NYC we would laugh at tommorow we will be getting 9 to 14 inchs of snow

Big Babooba

If you can't hang with the big dogs stay on the porch. Nothing worse than people that can't drive to start with trying to drive in the snow. I live in the northeast and it is amazing how many people can't drive in the snow whether or not they have 4 wheel drive. Just slow down and stop riding the your brake pedal and you'll be fine.
Cut them some slack. The storm they got down south is not normal for them. They don't have the equipment to handle what they got. I was reading an article today published by the AP. It said that Atlanta has 8 snow plows, not 800 but 8. That's like trying to bail out the Titanic with a thimble as it sank.

Did you work January 3rd?

UPSGUY72

Cut them some slack. The storm they got down south is not normal for them. They don't have the equipment to handle what they got. I was reading an article today published by the AP. It said that Atlanta has 8 snow plows, not 800 but 8. That's like trying to bail out the Titanic with a thimble as it sank.

Did you work January 3rd?

Ok I'll cut them a little slack.

No but I was 5 miles into my 54 miles trek to work when my SUP called and said worked was cancelled due to EC. Anyways Wed isn't looking to good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

the south dont usually get snow so you guys for example in atlanta only have 20 salt spreaders for the whole city thats why the south is having so much problem with snow that here in NYC we would laugh at tommorow we will be getting 9 to 14 inchs of snow

Yeah, you guys did such a bang up job with the blizzard...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Center just sent out a text saying we are shut down again. They were going to try to start us at 10AM, but the roads look worse to me. I tried, but still couldn't get out of my street this morning.

klein

Für Meno :)
My Center just sent out a text saying we are shut down again. They were going to try to start us at 10AM, but the roads look worse to me. I tried, but still couldn't get out of my street this morning.

Sounds like a lot of OT comming up in the next few days ! Good way to make money, forget working regular hrs, work the OT ones !
Be like another peak season for ya !

djkre8r

Just got a text stating we will try to start preload at 6am on 1/12 (2 hours later than normal). Should be interesting! Guess I better carry some Browns and look forward to a long day.

rod

Retired 22 years

I wonder if they even cracked a smile when they said "safety is our first priority".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Shoveled out a two foot width path down our 650 foot driveway (took 2 1/2 hrs and a couple blisters).
Hopefully be able to make it to work tomorrow. Interstates are the problem with all the jack-knifed tractor trailers blocking the lanes.
Sand trucks and snowplows can't clear the roadways for all the stalled cars and tractor-trailers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Scratch, I used to own a Colorado and I had to put weight in the pickup bed each winter. I noticed you didn't or I couldn't see any weight in the back of yours. You would be amazed the difference in traction on snow and ice with some junk in the trunk.

evilleace

Scratch, I used to own a Colorado and I had to put weight in the pickup bed each winter. I noticed you didn't or I couldn't see any weight in the back of yours. You would be amazed the difference in traction on snow and ice with some junk in the trunk.

Yup Upstates right I drive a rear wheel drive s10 and put 300 pounds in the back during the winter tires still spin in first gear but stopping is much better and so is turning.

What happened to the colorado upstate?