Snow ='s no missed Pkgs

8Years2Go

Am I the only one that notices this. It seem that everytime it snows, it doesn't matter if it's a dusting or 12 inches, you will revceive a text message "Sheet all missed packages Emergency Condition." Management is just using this as a free pass to look good on paper. Anymore, looking good on paper seems to be more important then doing the job right.

Am I the only one that notices this. It seem that everytime it snows, it doesn't matter if it's a dusting or 12 inches, you will revceive a text message "Sheet all missed packages Emergency Condition." Management is just using this as a free pass to look good on paper. Anymore, looking good on paper seems to be more important then doing the job right.

Then deliver them. I had one EC today. A narrow icy driveway about a mile long with three houses on it. If someone was coming down and I would have had to stop I would have been screwed. Have you ever tried to start uphill on ice but ended up going backwards? Or for that matter, started with some speed, but halfway up started going backwards. Maybe you would feel better if they said "sheet all undeliverable packages emergency conditions" It's just a play with words.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are also advised to sheet all undeliverable pkgs as EC. Most of the drivers make every effort to get every package delivered but we do have a few who tend to confuse EC with "I just don't feel like going down that road today".

some1else

Banned
i think the OP problem is he has to "adjust to changing conditions" and drive slower, walk slower etc. so he cant finish his route; and managment instructs him to sheet his las ~30 stops as EC regardless of what the road in that neighborhood looks like. like the OP stated if he doesnt even have time to go look at the street that is missed not ec.

barnyard

KTM rider
This is an area where it seems we could easily add routes to adjust for the added time that it may take to really get the job done. I believe that the public gives us a pass when we get big snow and blowing and all that. Management is taking advantage of that pass and not adjusting the routes for the conditions. Economically, it is a good decision. Morally???? probably not.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
This happen to me on the last snow storm, it was a afternoon snow storm so I del all the hard stops early and I had 20 easy stops left and then at 1800 I receive a message to sheet what's left as EC, and head back to the center. O well you just can't win, I can remember sometimes it would be snowing so bad I couldn't believe they still had us out there del. We bitch if they do and bitch if they don't.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You as a driver do have the right if it is that unsafe to bring the truck back in. Just make sure you tell them it is unsafe to continue. I have only doen so 1 time about 3 years ago. We got hit with 14 inches of snow in about 6 hours, staretd about 6 am adn by noon the trucks were getting stuck and businesses had gone home. I called in and was told to continue on until we where directed to come in. I said I was bringing it in due to safety.

6 drievrs had accidents that day because of the snow, we filed on the accidents being chargeable and won it at panel.

Dustyroads

I had 10 ECDs on Friday. We had a real heavy, wet snow, 4 or 5 inches, and when you drove on it, it squished the water out and instantly turned to ice. On my third stop, in a very remote area, I was driving up a single lane road that hadn't been plowed, and came over one hill to find a 53 foot cattle truck stuck ahead, no place to turn around. Once I got stopped, I could not go forward again. The tractors trying to extract the cattle truck were spinning their wheels. I backed almost a half mile down a horribly slick hill, you couldn't leave it in reverse as it built up too much speed, you couldn't put on the brakes, it would slide the truck off toward the ditch. It was a tricky ride.

I thought it was pretty good to only have 10 ECDs. If I were given equipment that handled better in the snow and slick conditions instead of the poorly designed and engineered new p500s, I'm sure I would have had a better success rate and a safer day.

I had 10 ECDs on Friday. We had a real heavy, wet snow, 4 or 5 inches, and when you drove on it, it squished the water out and instantly turned to ice. On my third stop, in a very remote area, I was driving up a single lane road that hadn't been plowed, and came over one hill to find a 53 foot cattle truck stuck ahead, no place to turn around. Once I got stopped, I could not go forward again. The tractors trying to extract the cattle truck were spinning their wheels. I backed almost a half mile down a horribly slick hill, you couldn't leave it in reverse as it built up too much speed, you couldn't put on the brakes, it would slide the truck off toward the ditch. It was a tricky ride.

I thought it was pretty good to only have 10 ECDs. If I were given equipment that handled better in the snow and slick conditions instead of the poorly designed and engineered new p500s, I'm sure I would have had a better success rate and a safer day.

Sound like you did the right thing. We use a lot of automatic 700s and 1000s now. I found that putting the car in neutral helps the vehicle come to a controlled stop. Sometime just putting one of those automatics in gear will swing the ass end sideways.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sound like you did the right thing. We use a lot of automatic 700s and 1000s now. I found that putting the car in neutral helps the vehicle come to a controlled stop. Sometime just putting one of those automatics in gear will swing the ass end sideways.
In my automatic, every single stop it wants to slide the front end to the right. I am guessing thats from the transmission still pulling, and the direction the motor turns? I dont like the ABS at all. I much prefer manual in snow, on ice it dont matter. Your going in the ditch. I have always just put it in neutral to avoid this situation. Last eve was horrible, and we now have 30 inches at my house. Im glad its Saturday as I would not be able to get there today. Have not seen a plow yet.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If I'm reading the original post correctly, they are talking about EC packages that would be sheeted as missed had it not been a snow day.
Misloads for example, are sheeted this way in our building on snow days.
When I questioned it, I was given the flimsy explanation that had it not been a snow day we could have reconciled it.
I can't imagine anybody that has done the job, questions the validity of the EC disposition in some instances.
It's the liberties taken by management using EC to falsify some numbers that this thread was intended to discuss.

Dustyroads

I understood that Bubble, I should have been clearer, in saying that I don't think anyone should second guess a driver's decision to use ECD, asserting that the driver, "just didn't want to go down the road today". Having driven over 200 miles a day for 31 years, on slick, often unplowed roads, I speak with some experience. It's like on Christmas eve, during the worst blizzard the area had experienced in over 50 years, I called a few customers, explaining the weather situation, seeing if I could leave some of the very rural deliveries in one of the little towns with a close relative. I called this one guy, I had a box of cattle ear tags for him, and he said, "oh, i think the road is passable". I couldn't help laughing, I had been on the Interstate until they closed it, and then I had gotten off onto dirt roads with 6 inches of blowing snow, trying to make it to one of my little towns. After some discussion we decided I could leave it at his uncle's.

My point is, almost any road is passable if that is the only stop that I have to go to during a snowstorm. Additionally, some drivers abilities and experience make them less able to drive safely in very slick circumstances. Some drivers don't want to take unnecessary chances. As Clint would say, a man needs to know his limitations.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm not sure you do understand my point Dusty.
You and others continue to go off on tangents about when the driver decides to sheet a package as emergency conditions.
While the stories are entertaining and a good read in some cases, I didn't think they were parallel to the original topic.
I understood this thread to be about management using EC as a cover up tool to hide service failures that were not weather related.
Service failures such as late air and misloads would be examples.
Maybe I took this from the original post and that wasn't their intent, but that was the point I was making.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't like getting stuck and I don't take any chances. If I have any doubts about going down a road, I don't go. I always let my center team know how many I'm going to be bringing back and always ask "How do you want me to sheet these? ECD, missed, not ready, what?" I really don't care how they get sheeted, it's their company and their decision.

beatndown

beatndown
Its only a box boss....tell management that...NOBODYS AMAZON ORDER IS WORTH GETTING STUCK FOR OR AN ACCIDENT! If they dont like the "numbers " change them...

8Years2Go

If I'm reading the original post correctly, they are talking about EC packages that would be sheeted as missed had it not been a snow day.
Misloads for example, are sheeted this way in our building on snow days.
When I questioned it, I was given the flimsy explanation that had it not been a snow day we could have reconciled it.
I can't imagine anybody that has done the job, questions the validity of the EC disposition in some instances.
It's the liberties taken by management using EC to falsify some numbers that this thread was intended to discuss.
Thanks Bubblehead, that is exactly what I'm talking about. As a matter of fact I did deliver the misload I had on my car Friday.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It's like on Christmas eve, during the worst blizzard the area had experienced in over 50 years, I called a few customers, explaining the weather situation, seeing if I could leave some of the very rural deliveries in one of the little towns with a close relative. I called this one guy, I had a box of cattle ear tags for him, and he said, "oh, i think the road is passable".

My point is, almost any road is passable if that is the only stop that I have to go to during a snowstorm. Additionally, some drivers abilities and experience make them less able to drive safely in very slick circumstances. Some drivers don't want to take unnecessary chances. As Clint would say, a man needs to know his limitations.
Yes I love the customers all tucked inside warm and dry, who want to tell you its OK. Yes any road is passable if its your last stop or your house, or if you know its something actually important to health, etc. You can make it to anywhere most likely one time, but when you have multiples left, some just have to get delivered tomorrow, its another day.

Thanks Bubblehead, that is exactly what I'm talking about. As a matter of fact I did deliver the misload I had on my car Friday.
If you're handle is correct (adjusting for time on here) you are hardly a rookie. YES, management may well be using EC improperly on some of those packages. If you could get to the stops and don't try, they should not be ECs( I think we can agree on that). However, if they are setting a time for all drivers to head back to the center based on road conditions, anything not delivered are indeed EC. Now, if they said, we can used EC today so we are cutting a route and ECing those pkgs, they are manipulating the numbers. It is my understanding that ECs are counted as send agains...with mitigating factors.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I guess the question would be is it right to sheet packages at the end of the day EC. They are sheeted EC because you did not have time to finish the route. Would you have finished the route if you were not slowed down the whole day by the snow? If you answer yes to this than I think EC was the right way to sheet the packages. Because they where missed due to the strom. Now if you were over dispatched and would not have finished the day, than nmissed is how they should be sheeted.