Snow wreaks havoc...

rushfan

Yep..Global Warming. I'm glad UPS is helping the so called climate crisis by printing such "green" calendars, and using bicycles again.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
In eastern Washington, north Idaho and parts of Montana had record snow fall in a 24 hour period. Spokane, Washington had two feet in 24 hours and other outlying areas had much more than that. Many of the residential streets are closed.To top that off it was cold as hell all week. Sun. they calling for another big storm. UPS people rise to the top when the going gets tuff. We know that this is our time of year to shine and do the best we can to get christmas to the people. I think most people understand what we are going threw when it is a major delima for them just to get a gallon of milk and they have a four wheel drive. Main thing is to be safe and get home to your family evey day.

sano

Sorry it’s such a long post but I guess I had a lot to bitch about L I’m sure that everyone will think we’re all being big babies here and I totally agree. I’m just amazed by the madness of it all and thought I’d share.
Great post. Maybe it is that after this week of peak I am not too emotional stable, but I really had to laugh at your post. We didn't even have significant weather issues here in Ohio and it was pretty crazy. I cant imagine what a storm would have done to us.
Hope the last 3 days of peak are easy on you guys.

Last edited:
Thanks sano, that's cool. I have to laugh about it too. Yesterday, our saturday air day turned out pretty interesting. We were supposed to preload for several hours and then go out to deliver our air. It was such a mess that they called in ft drivers to do the air and had us preload for 11 1/2 hours! I never realized how sweet it is to have a definite finish time (driver start time). It just kept going and going and going! When one of our paackage cars was completely full, top to bottom brickload with no walkway at all, they would pull it out and put a new one in. There were empty package cars in every available space in our parking lot. We had tow trucks delivering us package cars and those huge brown trailer trucks all day. There wasn't any room for the actual trailers on our property so they were leaving the trailers in the middle of the street! It was insane. I know one thing for sure, I never in my life want to prelaod for 11 hours straight ever again. I think we're pretty much caught up now though, so yay!

Our little center brings back 100-200 stops a day once the snow falls. The only reason Seattle shuts down in the snow is because of poor city management. It's the same snow that the rest of the country gets.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Well it went from bad to worse. There is 9" of snow on the ground, and now we are getting freezing rain. There is an inch of ice on top of the snow. The city I live in does not own a snowplow. The county I live in owns 2 of them and they hit the main highways only. The best that the road crews around here are able to do is to drop gravel on top of the snow on a few of the hilly spots.

I went outside to shovel snow off of my walkway, the first time in several years that it has even been necessary. It is an effort to even walk around without falling. Every surface is coated with solid ice. I cannot even begin to wrap my head around what work will be like tomorrow or how it will even be possible to function in a package car.

Of course, we may not have much new volume. I-84 thru the Columbia River gorge is closed. 18, 6 and 26 over to the coast are all closed. Chains or traction tires are required on all roads and streets, for those who even want to try driving.

Snow events here usually consist of a couple of inches that melt in a day or two. Everything gets white and pretty, the kids get a day off from school, and a handful of my rural customers have to wait an extra day to get their packages. No big deal. This, however, is a freaking disaster.:whiteflag:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sober, please don't take this the wrong (I'm sure you won't). Don't panic. Just do what you can and don't push the rest. It's not worth it. It'll probably take an extra week to get caught up, but at least everyone will be healthy happy and alive.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilligaf detroit area had 91e/m/c i dont want to even start with the 10:15 start and the air meet and all the roads that where not passable--more snow --god helps on monday
We have friends and family in Coldwater and surrounding areas.

bubrub

fourrrrrrrrr
Great fishing area(Coldwater), i am 35 miles west of detroit.Pleeeeeeeeeease send come of that nice weather up here.thank you for the word of encouragement --to be safe and everyone will get there goodies soon just maybe not right on time(out of our control):wink2:--god bless

Mike Hawk

God I hate snow, came in to the preload on Friday to see piles of leakers from the local sort(I am the responder), and 2 hours worth of the local sorts work left for us. That and 4 trailers we rolled from the day before along with a trailer of EC stuff, plus the air the day before, we didn't even send it out. On wed one of my drivers broke his chains, and the city he delivers to forgot to cover their sand trucks so they are frozen, he rolled half his route, nothing he could do. All sorts only have the bare minimum staffing, and with the snow and "sick" calls we are all short people and screwing each other.

But really guys, remember you could be the guy stuck as a bicycle helper in a foot of snow on the sidewalk getting hosed by a snowplow while trying to stay upright on a crappy steel hardtail wal-mart bike. Could be worse I guess, and looking at the weather report it will be.

I'mTheMan

Our little center brings back 100-200 stops a day once the snow falls. The only reason Seattle shuts down in the snow is because of poor city management. It's the same snow that the rest of the country gets.

I agree and I have seen it. Even airport like BFI, PDX, and other airport across the country are going thru severe weather times with heavy snow and ice makes it such delayed flight times departures. UPS will have no choice but to upgrades them and get it there in time before Christmas date.

Yep..Global Warming. I'm glad UPS is helping the so called climate crisis by printing such "green" calendars, and using bicycles again.

Come'on. Global Warming? It's just Winter weather doing it's thing.

sano said:
We didn't even have significant weather issues here in Ohio and it was pretty crazy. I cant imagine what a storm would have done to us.

I wouldn't speak so quickly. The windchill is in the negative (friend) right now and it's so windy! I'm concerned we might get screwed the last couple days of peak. Not to mention we have to work Friday. :(

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
So far, we're closing in on 30 inches over here in Spokane. Absolutely shatters any records we've had before. We were unable to deliver 17000 packages on Thursday. We got a record 21 inches over night last Thursday. Then we just got like 8 inches today. They expect another 5-8 inches on Wednesday. Then it's going to be an ice battle cause they expect rain and snow mix this coming weekend. I can't wait to see the sheer amount of flooding when this stuff finally melts. GLOBAL WARMING MY LEFT FOOT!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I don't know Red. I am in central Ill on a rural route that covers about 200 miles and 130 stops this time of year. I grew up in the area I deliver and know a lot about the people on my route so I was able to get all but 2 pkgs delivered Friday getting to what I could and calling a lot of people to work out other ways to get them their pkgs.

My point is will it really ruin their xmas if I don't get my pkg car up their ice covered hill to get them their pkg they waited till 2 days before xmas to order?

I am a 20 year driver and I have been on a slope in a sliding pkg car with no way to stop it. It isn't worth it to be a hero. That 1 box isn't what xmas is all about is it?

Im not dealing with any ice, just about a foot of snow and lazy people that do not shovel driveways or walkways. We (helper and myself) did not mind dealing with the driveways or walkways to get it delivered. Obviously we were not able to make up time driving because of the bad roads but we finished.

If its a present for a child it could ruin xmas, especially if its from santa. I have 3 kids and my wife ordered alot on line and while we got most of them some are back ordered and are suppose to be here before xmas. So maybe the customer did order in plenty of time and just waiting. Any ways dont endanger your self, just do the best you can with what you have!