Snow!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've only been with UPS a short time just under 5 years. The only time we shut down was for 2 days for hurricane sandy and that was last minute the morning of. Never for the snow, and I doubt with their mentality especially during peak that will ever change.
We only got one day for Sandy....and haven't shut down for snow since the 90's.

box_beeyotch

We only got one day for Sandy....and haven't shut down for snow since the 90's.

My area wasn't hit as bad as new jersey was. We probably could have worked. The second day was more a clean up than anything. I was a helper after the 2 days and working local sort at the time. It was the most screwed up day of work I have experienced yet.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our center was never shut down for snow or cold weather in the 30 years I worked and we had some big time storms over the years. If Minneapolis got our feeders through we went out. There were probably 2 days over the 30 years that they couldn't get through because the State Patrol had totally shut the roads down leading north.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The reports of 6' were exaggerated---official totals were 60" or less in areas to the south of Buffalo. The city itself escaped the brunt of the storm.

Lake effect snow is not like a typical snowstorm. It could be snowing 3-5"/hour in one location and just be cloudy 5 miles away. The plume of snow shifts depending on how the wind is blowing off the open water.

Would anyone who lives in Buffalo actually admit that they were from Buffalo? :)
My niece goes to college in Buffalo, she said in the city not to bad, A friend lives 2 miles outside of Pemberton and got two inches. In fact there was 6 foot in places, 120 miles of I90 shut down 7 dead, mostly from heart attacks, and tonight they expect 2 to 3 more feet.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember a yr in the seventies, my Dad and I worked at the same place, and we lived in PA, on Lake Erie, and just had to go to work that day. That work ethic thing. We were driving down rt 5, and the snow was like an 8 ft wall, plowed with one lane. We were in a 64 dodge dart, and I said what happens if someone comes the other way??????? He said dont worry no one is going to work today, or anywhere. Loved that guy. And I felt safe with my Daddy. But wtf, lets stay home like everyone else. Didnt want to hear it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have friends,that were supposed to leave for New York,For a wine ...long get away weekend. Doesn't look good,for them!
Once you get there and got a motel, you got a long weekend. But problem is hotels only have enough food left for 2 days I heard this am, so that is now probably down to 1 day. And its only a 20 miles stretch thats totally snowed in.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I can't wrap my head around the idea of having seven feet of snow and I grew up in the Ohio snow belt. We would get a foot maybe two but seven is just insane.

DorkHead

Buffalo hub has been closed for 2 days and won`t be open tomorrow.
Oh, and by the way, Syracuse is Central NY, not Western NY, but they do get quite a bit of lake effect snow from Lake Ontario.

[quote="Shift Inhibit, post: 1454629, member: 515482]UPS is pissed that they can't control the weather...They want to control eveything[/quote]
They know,they cant control the weather....yet!....In the mean time,they need a better plan....jmho.

P.s. My sup is the best!!!