So, A Free, Open and Voluntary Society Can't Work

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You couldn't pay me to be on Facebook!!

You wouldn't like facebook---here on BC you only have a few members who call you out on the "facts" that you post---on facebook you would have nearly a billion members who would see you for who you truly are and would have a field day with you and your closed-minded opinions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The biggest thing is....anybody in the world can find you and there are people who don't want to be found.

As a member of facebook you determine the amount of information that you want everyone to see. Yes, people can find you, but all that they would see is your homepage, which is called the wall and would normally just have your name, location and your picture.

moreluck

golden ticket member
As a member of facebook you determine the amount of information that you want everyone to see. Yes, people can find you, but all that they would see is your homepage, which is called the wall and would normally just have your name, location and your picture.
Well, location IS everything if you don't want to be found.

diesel96

KMac...The Facebook Corporation sets up the rules of engagement, shares it's profits among a few ... tries to supply a level playing field for your social networking to grow ... submitting privacy to authority when deemed necessary ... I see know difference between a Corporate Society and a Democratic Society rigged by the influence of big money, not truly ruled by the people, for the people... :peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

KMac...The Facebook Corporation sets up the rules of engagement, shares it's profits among a few ... tries to supply a level playing field for your social networking to grow ... submitting privacy to authority when deemed necessary ... I see know difference between a Corporate Society and a Democratic Society rigged by the influence of big money, not truly ruled by the people, for the people... :peaceful:

Do you see any of this changing when facebook has their IPO and has to share it's profits among the many?

diesel96

Do you see any of this changing when facebook has their IPO and has to share it's profits among the many?

The point was not really targeted against FB, but rather a comparison to a Democratic Society or a FB Corporately financed Open Society, both are control by monied interest ... As far as FB "Has to share"... Nobody put a gun to their head to cash in ... The initial holder of shares will make out like bandits bailing out on golden parachutes, while the minions like you and me can purchase little pee-ons of "fair market" (over-priced) FB Shares and feel important... Back to square one, "Trickle Down" scraps... Meanwhile, us pee-ons still subsiding the rich, playing by rules of a few ...

Just_another_day_at_work

Facebook is the best thing ever after the TV. CIA can monitor 1/5 of the world population what we think, what are the trends. Corporations can get your info (nothing for free) to bombard you with ads which are designed for certain categories, just like the google ads. That's why I love adblock plus all this crap is voided.
If you unfriend someone on FB and does that, you already made a mistake by "friending" that person. :D

wkmac

Good to see you around. Hope all is well in the D World!
:peaceful: Back at ya!

BTW: Your comments on corp. structure is founded. But what I see more than that are the people themselves who in a voluntary world are creating a whole other place where people are in some cases transacting business. In others, they share knowledge and information and still in others they learn something either about themselves or other people from other ideals or cultures. Looking at it just at the level of the people themselves, this spontaneous order is a community, the best of what a community can be. The platform on which this happened may have come from a kind of top down process but the foundation that brought the spontaneous order into play was always there and will always be there. The question is, do we have the courage to let it out or are we going to let someone else invoke fear and we just stick our heads back in the sand? The absolute worst thing to happen is when we actually begin to talk with one another and that's when it gets dangerous for them.

I'll leave this conversation with 2 items to ponder.

430002_10100529710996801_9033653_52013046_525235206_n.jpg

and

"When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence." ~ Gary Lloyd
430002_10100529710996801_9033653_52013046_525235206_n.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I signed up for facebook last year, and immediately recognizing the privacy aspects as well as other obvious downfalls, it was best to delete the account. Turns out to be the best thing I ever did online!