So. Cal feeder drivers getting canned.

Overpaid Union Thug

Only 45 minutes?

I have been on jobs that had 2 to 3 hours of paid coffee time.

The nature of the beast in feeders. The center loads need to get to the hubs to make the night sort. The driver then waits until sort down to pull the center loads back to the center.

Some hub to hub jobs are the same way.

UPS got tired of paying drivers to sleep for 2 or 3 hours, so they started making some of them shift at the hubs to fill that down time, but not all.

A half hour meal plus another hour paid nap is not uncommon.

A sup was training a new driver on his production ride covering a vacation job. They got to the hub and the trainee asked the sup what they are going to do until the pull time 3 hours later.

The sup said, "I don't care if you read a book or go for a walk, but I am going to sleep for a couple of hours. You're welcome to do the same."
I've seen the naps feeder drivers take. But the coffee break I'm referring to doesn't take place at a time where a feeder driver would be in limbo . There is no need to wait. Simply adjusting the guy's start time would eliminate the unnecessary coffee break. Do I care? Nope. But it does trip me out how I show up on a report for too much idle time every time I clean up my load after lunch and have even been questioned about it but a feeder driver can take a three hour nap with no word said.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Usually twice a year here Atlanta puts a moratorium on our rental tractors so Monday's, Tuesday's, & Wednesday's we start rolling tractors. This means you clock in and your assigned tractor (tractors are double utilized) is not available. So we get to wait in the "truckers lounge" (conference room or breakroom) until one comes available. Longest I have waited was 3 hours. To make matters worse, some of our tractors can go to California, some can't; some can make the haul to Las Vegas, some can't. All tractors are not the same here because of CARB requirements and fueling needs like LNG. Eventually Atlanta capitulates and we get rentals and more tractors ordered. If they were smart they would have all of our tractors CA legal. Other than that we sit around waiting for loads to be done but that's about it.

Turnarounds have delays due to poor planning between dispatch, usually at the origin. Some drivers compound that by not taking personal time but that isn't always the cure-all it seems to be. If you want a load back by a certain time and want me to be ready to turn & burn you might not want me to go on meal because that means I'm not moving for an hour. I can always push the 30 minutes to the last possible moment if necessary to save your service commitment but if you want give & take don't harass me about TA time when it goes in my favor.

Feeders only has two speeds: slow and stop.
Boy I need to get into the feeder department.
Nope. Stay your ass in the hub.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I've seen the naps feeder drivers take. But the coffee break I'm referring to doesn't take place at a time where a feeder driver would be in limbo . There is no need to wait. Simply adjusting the guy's start time would eliminate the unnecessary coffee break. Do I care? Nope. But it does trip me out how I show up on a report for too much idle time every time I clean up my load after lunch and have even been questioned about it but a feeder driver can take a three hour nap with no word said.

I see that all the time too.

They want to fire a driver for taking an extra 2 minutes on his break but don't say a word to some of these guys that sit in the break room for half an hour on the clock after they start work when their loads are ready in the yard.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Here we have a dedicated Feeder car washer but he sucks so even if you park it close to where he is washing he will skip yours. Not that what he does is much more than a rinse.

People reading these threads should remember that without the extra time the hub has no cushion if they run late & Feeders have no cushion if there is a breakdown (on property or on road) or traffic condition causing a delay or detour. One guy getting some extra time is better that thousands of late packages and a whole sort standing around or a plane sitting on the tarmac. More than once I have stood on the accelerator for 5 hours to make up for an equal amount of breakdown just so I could make an air pull time and maintain my HOS. There is a lot more give and take in Feeders and so more teamwork and cooperation.

35years

Gravy route
If these feeder drivers were deliberately wasting time, it is stealing time. I know not every minute of their day is filled and there are unavoidable wait times. But speeding or giving time at one point does not justify purposely stealing time at another time. We all hustle to make commits and give and take, but do not steal time. If they were waiting on loads, and UPS is saying they needed to be off the clock, that is another story. When it all shakes out I hope someone updates us on what was actually going on.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Countless times we stood at the belt waiting for either a late feeder or a late plane. A few times they'd send us all out to to a ridiculous 5/10 stops instead. All that accomplished was to waste some fuel and guarantee a crap parking place at 10Am when we came back. If we had a lounge we'd sure as hell have used it.
You have delays in the shipping business that can't be helped. It's easy money that no one really enjoys getting, knowing you're going to be late all freaking day.