So did I do the right thing?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, you crack me up!
full.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You did good, Sober. You did your job under very trying circumstances. Your center manager should thank you profusely, but we both know he/she won't.

As long as my paycheck clears on Friday, I dont need any thanks. And my center manager has apparently chosen to disregard the Telematics data instead of nagging and harassing me about it. Thats good enough for me! :happy-very:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You did good, Sober. You did your job under very trying circumstances. Your center manager should thank you profusely, but we both know he/she won't.

I agree. He did the right thing but . . . we all know management doesn't always look at it that way

When I was a new driver and before we had straps installed for hand carts mine busted the bulkhead door off the tracks. I fortunately was close enough to the center to swap trucks so I did not have to make the same decision.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree. He did the right thing but . . . we all know management doesn't always look at it that way

When I was a new driver and before we had straps installed for hand carts mine busted the bulkhead door off the tracks. I fortunately was close enough to the center to swap trucks so I did not have to make the same decision.
Straps? What franchise are you in that they installed straps for the handcart? You would think that this would blaze along throughout UPS, quicker than telematics.

UPS Lifer

Nice job, Sober. You did what any professional driver would do.

Common sense always prevails. You would never lose your job using common sense. I am very proud of what you did. You took care of your customers and any manager or supervisor who would take issue with that will get what they deserve in the long run.
:cheers:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Common sense always prevails. You would never lose your job using common sense. I am very proud of what you did. You took care of your customers and any manager or supervisor who would take issue with that will get what they deserve in the long run.
:cheers:
I agree Lifer, but the problem is the length of time the "long run" takes.:wink2:

Leftinbuilding

UPS doesn't always encourage resourcefulness. I remember reading many years ago, about a Fed Ex driver who rented a helicopter to complete a delivery to a very remote mountain top. The company praised him for his ingenuity. Can you imagine UPS's response to that same scenario? They would have management lined up from here to Atlanta waiting for a piece of that driver.

upssup

you did the right thing. I would be Ok with this if a driver called in and said he had to do this to finish out the day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Straps? What franchise are you in that they installed straps for the handcart? You would think that this would blaze along throughout UPS, quicker than telematics.

Steve, he is talking about the brown restraining strap inside the PC. Mine is right behind the bulkhead door in the 4000 section.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
UPS doesn't always encourage resourcefulness. I remember reading many years ago, about a Fed Ex driver who rented a helicopter to complete a delivery to a very remote mountain top. The company praised him for his ingenuity. Can you imagine UPS's response to that same scenario? They would have management lined up from here to Atlanta waiting for a piece of that driver.
That's because they're an airline and have all sorts of things that fly at their disposal.:wink2:

Steve, he is talking about the brown restraining strap inside the PC. Mine is right behind the bulkhead door in the 4000 section.
Negative! Like I said, must be a franchise thing. I have been driving an 800 and a TP60 for years and have just been given a "new" (to me) 1200 instead. Neither of these have these straps, nor are wired for telematics. It is kind of weird to have power steering, automatic and a lower step after all these years. Oh, I almost forgot. Hey sober, I finally have a 3 point seat belt and cannot lean from my driver seat and place my face against the windshield.:happy2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've had this same situation. The only thing I did different was not informing mgmnt. As far as straps for the hand cart, I have several lenghts of bungies in my PC.

upssup

The hand cart bungies are available for most of the package car models. Buy your mechanic a soda and ask him nicely and he will more than likely be able to help you out.

soberups

The hand cart bungies are available for most of the package car models. Buy your mechanic a soda and ask him nicely and he will more than likely be able to help you out.

We dont even need to ask. We use the black rubber bungee cords to install and tighten snow chains in the winter. There is a box of them in the shop that are pretty much free for the taking. They work great for securing handcarts or rolls of DR bags. I also use them for dealing with the oversized "flat' packages that might be 5 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 4 inches thick. They wont fit on a shelf or a wheel well, and if you lay them flat on the floor you will be tripping over them all day. So I stand them upright, pull a bungee cord tight across them, and hook each end of the cord over the lip of the shelf. This keeps them off of the floor and out of my way.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
how many here have ever been told to leave the key in the ignition,,truck running all day, due to a dead battery?

browniehound

They are not going to fire a 20+ yr driver with an excellent record who tried to do the right thing. The locks are not a pretrip item. I have to assume that the BH door was open when Sober started his day--he probably put his personal items in, glanced at his load, shook his head, closed the door and drove to his first stop. When he discovered the lock was seized, he called to try to get it either fixed or drilled out and was told no. He then weighed his options and chose the same one that I would have.

I would have done the same thing and dealt with the discipline the next day if I were to get any...

upssup

I was once told by someone who worked alot of years for UPS before I did. As long as the decision you make keeps the packages moving you made the right decision. I do not know that holds the truth that it maybe did 10 years ago, but it has not failed me yet.

soberups

I was once told by someone who worked alot of years for UPS before I did. As long as the decision you make keeps the packages moving you made the right decision. I do not know that holds the truth that it maybe did 10 years ago, but it has not failed me yet.

That is only true until something goes wrong, at that point the need to make service becomes irrelevant and you will be disciplined for failing to follw proper procedures.