So I guess no word is good?

I think that would be a positive thing. Reminds me of a time prior to 1999 when management focused on making educated decisions. You can't tell me that there was a drastic difference between then and now?
I feel you brother, some of are management can't break them selves out of a wet paper bag. If it goes back to what it was things could be better.

Word around my hub is that the silence is a bad thing, not a good thing. The union trying to conceal how much we're getting screwed because they don't want us all to stop paying dues. I'm not sure I believe this line of thinking, but with the union maintaining this lack of disclosure, what can I do but not stand in the way of people who want to parrot these thoughts? If the union heads want me to feel secure they should say something concretely good for me, not just "hang in there."
As for my own speculation, it seems clear to me that part-timers are the last priority, yet again, despite the fact that because of the lack of FT job creation, we PTers are now a quite large population. I expect my pay to not go up more than a few cents, I expect a copay and a deductible, and I expect that there will still be no FT job open for me until I've got 15 years under my belt, just as forecasted in my building previously.
I put forward, with others, at my local the "PT pay should be bumped quite a bit to match inflation" proposal. It seemed politically appropriate, because if we suddenly get expensive then the company has very little reason to not open more FT slots. If we aren't dirt cheap anymore then there's no reason to keep so many of us and so few FTers. But our local board pretty solidly told us to our faces that this proposal was not in the union's interest. Which is funny because our finance guy said that at the podium and I would expect him to salivate at the idea of PT dues jumping up so many digits in his financial statements.

I'm not waiting ten more years to go FT, when things will magically get better for me. If my benefits get ruined then I'm out. Can you tell how irritated I am by the lack of news?
Who ever told you that the union is scared that we might stop paying union dues is is smoking rock. First off it come's out of your check, second the only way that would work is if we all walked out with out the union's say and that will never happen!

stink219

Word around my hub is that the silence is a bad thing, not a good thing. The union trying to conceal how much we're getting screwed because they don't want us all to stop paying dues. I'm not sure I believe this line of thinking, but with the union maintaining this lack of disclosure, what can I do but not stand in the way of people who want to parrot these thoughts? If the union heads want me to feel secure they should say something concretely good for me, not just "hang in there."
As for my own speculation, it seems clear to me that part-timers are the last priority, yet again, despite the fact that because of the lack of FT job creation, we PTers are now a quite large population. I expect my pay to not go up more than a few cents, I expect a copay and a deductible, and I expect that there will still be no FT job open for me until I've got 15 years under my belt, just as forecasted in my building previously.
I put forward, with others, at my local the "PT pay should be bumped quite a bit to match inflation" proposal. It seemed politically appropriate, because if we suddenly get expensive then the company has very little reason to not open more FT slots. If we aren't dirt cheap anymore then there's no reason to keep so many of us and so few FTers. But our local board pretty solidly told us to our faces that this proposal was not in the union's interest. Which is funny because our finance guy said that at the podium and I would expect him to salivate at the idea of PT dues jumping up so many digits in his financial statements.

I'm not waiting ten more years to go FT, when things will magically get better for me. If my benefits get ruined then I'm out. Can you tell how irritated I am by the lack of news?
Maybe the lack of disclosure is due to the fact that most articles are not finalized. We obviously know how "speculation" can run around. It's everywhere. Why don't you wait a couple more month before you get irritated?

S

serenity now

Maybe the lack of disclosure is due to the fact that most articles are not finalized. We obviously know how "speculation" can run around. It's everywhere. Why don't you wait a couple more month before you get irritated?

excellent point * (worry) is like paying interest on money you haven't yet borrowed

stink219

(worry) is like paying interest on money you haven't yet borrowed
I like that! Lol!!!! I love the saying,"Anticipation of death is worse than death itself."
It holds true especially come contract time. You can speculate us to make millions this contract, you can also speculate that UPS will close down forever. Until a tentative is reached, it's all speculation.

Returntosender

Perhaps the upstate agreement is only for upstates local rider? Upstates ups management pcm was worded to suggest a national handshake agreement happened.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
No I'm out of 294 Albany. I think he( upstate)is way upstate. Out of plattsburgh I believe. Meno too. I just wonder what is in store for us now. Last 3 contracts 294 was first in the nation to finish talks with company. Feel another. Screw job!

upsman68

Our business agent was at our bdlg yesterday and said the healthcare is a smoke screen. Now the company wants to extend peak season through January. I don't like this. They would probably try to block out those weeks of vacation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our business agent was at our bdlg yesterday and said the healthcare is a smoke screen. Now the company wants to extend peak season through January. I don't like this. They would probably try to block out those weeks of vacation.

...as they should...e-commerce has changed the way that we do business and our contract should reflect those changes...

stink219

They want to extend it to the first 2 weeks in January. As long as they allow take 2 weeks off the front in October I'd be ok with that. Remember, 2 weeks for 2 weeks!!