So I quit UPS a couple weeks ago...

Newguy123

Pretty much said I was done destroying my body for $8.50 an hour inside the hub and fully understood that when I left, that was it, I was done with UPS (again fine by me). Fast forward two weeks, and I get a call from the HR manager saying he wants me to come in to "talk" about getting re-hired (the hell?). I thought once you quit UPS you were forever blacklisted? I can only think of two reasons why they would do this;

1. They reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally liked me (this is not likely as I wasn't with them for very long).

2. They are having a hell of a time keeping employees that are willing to destroy their bodies for $8.50 an hour.

Like a maroon, I am actually considering taking it back...STOP ME NOW!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Ya you for sure can get rehired.
The starting pay, definitely tough to swallow that bitter pill. And the wait for insurance to kick in now, that's just as bad. I had to pay out for health insurance for many years. Not having to pay that every month is huge for me. I'm one greatful guy.

The 8.50 an hour is a minimum. If everyone wouldn't work for this they would have to pay more an hour. They just keep finding people go will do it.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
The 8.50 an hour is a minimum. If everyone wouldn't work for this they would have to pay more an hour. They just keep finding people go will do it.

Ya, I here that. But when combined with the cost of a family plan health policy, that quite substantial.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you need the insurance you should stay, if not go flip burgers for more money and less hassle. You can also destroy your body there shoving 2500 calories into your gullet in one meal, least you'll enjoy it more.

instantK

id go back and get it, its really not that physically hard, did it for 6 years and the economoy seems like it's going to get bad again....

bl04a

I started at $8.50/hr 19 years ago. I felt like walking away many times. I stuck it out, now I have great healthcare and I make almost $32.00 / hr. It beats you up but it ends up being worth it.

OptimusPrime

I started at $8.50/hr 19 years ago. I felt like walking away many times. I stuck it out, now I have great healthcare and I make almost $32.00 / hr. It beats you up but it ends up being worth it.

Not really. $8.50 19 years ago was damn good. Hell, it was pretty nice, plus the $1 bump for sorting when I did it in 2001. Now a days, it's borderline insulting. You can go a lot of places, get the same or better pay, get more hours, and more than likely work in the AC doing much much less work.

And even once promoted it's not all roses. Rotted in the hub 10 years. Sure I make a decent wage per hour,and get 40+ OT a week, but now that I have gone FT, the way the progression works, I won't get a raise for 3 years. $20 something an hour seems alright now, but after 2+ years, it's gonna seem kinda paltry, with inflation and all.

Buck Fifty

It was 8 an hour 19 years ago.

correct, it was 8.00 and hour. Thats when i started. I came for the insurance which came at 3,6,9 months back then. gotta wait a year now.

Flip a coin, cause thats what it is, a coin toss. Live by it and dont look back. Ps: If ya need the insurance, go 2 out of 3 !

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Pretty much said I was done destroying my body for $8.50 an hour inside the hub and fully understood that when I left, that was it, I was done with UPS (again fine by me). Fast forward two weeks, and I get a call from the HR manager saying he wants me to come in to "talk" about getting re-hired (the hell?). I thought once you quit UPS you were forever blacklisted? I can only think of two reasons why they would do this;

1. They reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally liked me (this is not likely as I wasn't with them for very long).

2. They are having a hell of a time keeping employees that are willing to destroy their bodies for $8.50 an hour.

Like a maroon, I am actually considering taking it back...STOP ME NOW!

Call back and ask for $15/hr or $20/hr and you'll consider coming back. Nothing to lose, right?