So I tried to quit, and it's not working.

km3

Maybe... but I don't have any other experience.

Then seriously, for your own sake, try to make it work. Withdraw your 2 weeks notice if your FT sup will still let you.

Employers want stability and experience. You haven't worked here long enough to get any useful experience yet, and leaving after a few weeks is way too unstable. Nobody will take you seriously unless you've been here for at least 6 months.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

'cause I need advice from people who're within the company. My question is asking how to not step on toes.

Sounds to me like the sup sees potential in you that you may not see.

UPS is not allowed to give anything other than "rehire" or "no rehire". Anything beyond that opens them up to potential litigation.

The choice is clearly yours to make but if you are looking for advice I think you should try to make it work.

davidix

If you're not a driver or hold a position of high seniority then yes ups is in full blown desperation mode. Obviously depends on your center but in mine it's laughable seeing it. They are even offering new hires a weekly bonus for attendance. Nobody really wants to work hard for what they pay you. We have guys on their termination letters for over a year here. Zero accountability.

Why don't you just stay and make your own schedule. I promise you they will let you ad long as you show up to work.

Holydriver

My supervisor has always been very nice to me, I've got lots of respect for this man. But recently, I tried to quit. I let him know that it was too much and my family wasn't letting me get the sleep I need and transportation was becoming an issue. I put in my two weeks. What I meant by "I'm putting in my two weeks" is "I don't want to work here anymore, but if you need me— I'm NOT going to leave you hanging... so use me for these two weeks if you need to, but I don't want to work here anymore."
He's having me work during this time (which from this site, I hear is almost unheard of), but he told me today that he's hoping that my schedule will start to work out and that I'll want to stay. He doesn't want me out of the company.
I don't know what to do. I don't want to be rude because when I pursue other jobs, I'd like him to not give negative reviews.

What do you suggest? Also, is UPS desperately low on workers right now? I don't understand why he'd try so hard to keep a worker who doesn't even preform very well.
damn dude, you mean your sup has so much power over you that he can even manipulate you into not quitting? i cannot imagine how much bullspit he gets you to do throughout the day. furthermore, that manipulation never ends. its a constant part of life at UPS. leave that place. start your own dog pooper scooper company or something

Gear

Parts on Order
Then seriously, for your own sake, try to make it work. Withdraw your 2 weeks notice if your FT sup will still let you.

Employers want stability and experience. You haven't worked here long enough to get any useful experience yet, and leaving after a few weeks is way too unstable. Nobody will take you seriously unless you've been here for at least 6 months.

When his next employer asks why he quit and he says, "$10 an hour, part time, no payed holidays or benefits for a year", my guess is the employer will say, "I can understand that". Plus if he is applying to a non union job, he can say he didnt like being union. His short time at UPS will not make any difference in his next employment.

Finish your 2 weeks because its the right thing to do. You will not get a negative review.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS is just a "rung" on your resume "ladder".
Employers look for experience and work ethic.
You can tell future employers why you left if asked. UPS doesn't care.
Unless you put your supervisor as a reference, you will only be thought of as a number anyways.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
all ups can ever say about your employment is you quit or you were fired period. now if yu give one for a personal reference, thats your judgement.

Storm_Cloud

New Hire.
When his next employer asks why he quit and he says, "$10 an hour, part time, no payed holidays or benefits for a year", my guess is the employer will say, "I can understand that". Plus if he is applying to a non union job, he can say he didnt like being union. His short time at UPS will not make any difference in his next employment.

Finish your 2 weeks because its the right thing to do. You will not get a negative review.
This is probably the route I'll go. I always planned on doing the two weeks... just expected different circumstances. I wish he'd understand that the reason for me doing this is out of courtesy, NOT indecision to work there or not.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This is probably the route I'll go. I always planned on doing the two weeks... just expected different circumstances. I wish he'd understand that the reason for me doing this is out of courtesy, NOT indecision to work there or not.
@UpstateNYUPSer probably gave the best advice in the thread. But with that I will say this.

You truly care more about leaving than he does. I can 100% guarantee it. He'll get over it in about 30 seconds and go onto the next guy

Maybe... but I don't have any other experience.
Hi Storm_Cloud,

Pay no mind to the few snarky jackasses here. They don't know your whole story. (I) guessed you were much older, maybe a father. Just smart asses, with the emphasis on "asses." No hate toward them though.:D

Possibly Bastiatian gave you the best advice: Don't use UPS as a reference. BUT, if you want to, as "work experience," maybe a "white lie," such as "I had a serious transportation problem" that (think of good reason) you supposedly don't have now will show some experience at least.

I don't like lying overall, but sometimes in this real world a so-called white lie can move something forward without you being a truly bad person. My personal, subjective thoughts.

Good luck young man.

--John
South Jersey