So I tried to quit, and it's not working.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
'cause I need advice from people who're within the company. My question is asking how to not step on toes.
Jesus Christ,,,,, it's a 9.50 an hour pt job , your not moving up here, you hate it and if Havnt learned by now, these Sups arnt cool guys or your "friend" , most are lying deceiving little POS who will run you ragged and then tell you you suck !!! They run the place like a nazi camp or Roman slave driving ship ! Take off your panties , man up and walk out !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jesus Christ,,,,, it's a 9.50 an hour pt job , your not moving up here, you hate it and if Havnt learned by now, these Sups arnt cool guys or your "friend" , most are lying deceiving little POS who will run you ragged and then tell you you suck !!! They run the place like a nazi camp or Roman slave driving ship ! Take off your panties , man up and walk out !!

To quote Tom Cruise from "A Few Good Men":

"Wow.....I'm sexually aroused."

TheFigurehead

Just stop coming. Your supervisor is just taking advantage of your kindness/naivety. He's not your friend. He wants you to stay because you show up and try... which is more than 99% of new hires do. He'll string you along as long as you let him. If you want to quit, just quit. You aren't ruining your "career" and no one is ever going to care.

I'd say about 10% of new hires quit after a day or two, 25% of the remaining new hires quit after they get their first check (and I don't blame them, starting pay is way out of line with the amount of work expected of you). 50% of the remaining new hires quit before their probation is over, and 99% of those remaining will quit before their first year is up. It's a terrible job in a terrible environment with very little payoff, especially in the beginning.

There are only a few reasons to work for UPS... you put up with the BS if you 1) want to become a driver, 2) want tuition reimbursement, or most commonly 3) have a family and want the insurance benefits. Most of the people I work with (including myself) are here for the benefits. If you aren't looking for any of these three things, just get out now. It's not worth it. No one (especially anyone who has ever worked for UPS) is ever going to blame you for quitting. Just stop showing up, now, or after your two weeks, and put the nightmare behind you. It's not even worth worrying about.

MrFeeder

My supervisor has always been very nice to me, I've got lots of respect for this man. But recently, I tried to quit. I let him know that it was too much and my family wasn't letting me get the sleep I need and transportation was becoming an issue. I put in my two weeks. What I meant by "I'm putting in my two weeks" is "I don't want to work here anymore, but if you need me— I'm NOT going to leave you hanging... so use me for these two weeks if you need to, but I don't want to work here anymore."
He's having me work during this time (which from this site, I hear is almost unheard of), but he told me today that he's hoping that my schedule will start to work out and that I'll want to stay. He doesn't want me out of the company.
I don't know what to do. I don't want to be rude because when I pursue other jobs, I'd like him to not give negative reviews.

What do you suggest? Also, is UPS desperately low on workers right now? I don't understand why he'd try so hard to keep a worker who doesn't even preform very well.
If you already have a job lined up with as good as the benefits UPS provides then by all means quit. If you don't have anything lined up, quitting UPS will be the biggest fluke you'll make. I myself walked in UPS unloaded 52 footers for a few years with an intention of becoming a driver. I'm now currently in package driving and will be in feeders in a few weeks. This company saved my life and as well as many other people. There's so much room for growth within the company but you just have to know what you want to do. The benefits paid for my surgeries, lawyers, etc. you're walking away from something great that many companies don't offer. I make six figures slinging boxes while a bunch of my friends finished with bachelors degree and years later still don't have a job. Rethink your decision.