So I work for UPS now

magoo57

Hey, it sounds as if you took all that Peak could throw at you and you came throughlike a champ.
did the personal matter settle up?

LKLND3380

And as I already knew it spoke with the manager today and she asked me if I had any plans on staying past the New Years and I said yes, Well she was pleased and saying she was looking to keeping me on anyways, while peak seemed easy (sometimes a bit boring) just picking stuff off the belt it was not bad just the odd hours started to get to me (as soon as I got home it was always a rush to get some sleep) And everyone calls me a night owl..

Now that the time is normal again it's not so bad start at 5AM and out before 9AM.

5 am start times??? We come in around 4 and get out around 8:45... Did they give you time off to take care of your family matters?

You made it through peak - the rest of the year will be easy but they may pull you from pick off to load package cars...

Welcome to the family...

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Yeah warming up is the key here.. on the second day I did not and I felt it real good the next morning. It seems each center does things different from other it seems.. I filled out the union papers and the two cards I think one was for the health and the other was if something happened to me on the job, as my HR guy said you start with $1,000 if I died and stuff like that.

I don't think a seasonal person would have to do all that would they? I know first thing tomorrow I will be buying some gloves.

Please proofread your posts dude. Most of what you write is unintelligible. Mixing in some Caps and punctuation doesn't hurt either.

Radar
(The Grammar Nazi who is now unknowingly inviting everyone to critique and analyze his own grammar and punctuation)

thebrownbox

5 am start times??? We come in around 4 and get out around 8:45... Did they give you time off to take care of your family matters?

You made it through peak - the rest of the year will be easy but they may pull you from pick off to load package cars...

Welcome to the family...

Yep however I will be taking the last week off of January since the week before a bunch of people will be taking time off.

We start at 5AM and most of the time done around 8:35-8:40 if they make me stay to sort the air then I get out around 9:30am.

As for loading package cars I hear thats the worst of the worst of UPS...

LKLND3380

Yep however I will be taking the last week off of January since the week before a bunch of people will be taking time off.

We start at 5AM and most of the time done around 8:35-8:40 if they make me stay to sort the air then I get out around 9:30am.

As for loading package cars I hear thats the worst of the worst of UPS...

Loading package cars suck.. Anyone can unload a feeder or spa a package... but try not walking into the wrong car... LOL and load irregs that come down mid sort... Bowflex 1 of 6... potterybarn... the fun never ends...

thebrownbox

Ah.. I knew that time was coming.. I got a taste of what it was to load a truck.. and they did it at a time in which I did not have much time (about 25 min to 9AM) I kind of understand and I can see how easy it is to misload I only picked up one wrong box but I saw the label before I got on the truck.

Again I was asked to try it out due to my very fast "jedi powered" reflexes as my supervisor says lol

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I don't see where loading trucks is very difficult, especially compared to earlier days. Only starting my 7th year, but I'm sure most anyone who was aruond way before PAS (including myself) will admit it was more difficult to LEARN how to load trucks when you just went by the raggedy street sheets instead of the PAL label. It was very challenging to walk into a area where you hadn't worked and start loading cars that you didn't know the streets! Now it's just look at the truck #, and the 0-8999 designation and you're good. The only challenge is having trucks reversed #'s.
Regardless, it's nice to have been out of part-time preload the past few years. :D

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
I was not as fortunate as some of you veterans that have been around b4 PAS but from working on both sides of PAS (Loading and SPAing) I personally think it has way too many flaws for the most part it does ASSIST as advertised but it also limits the flexablity of the loader for example if you have a 20 piece bulk stop of lets say 2 foot long boxes and PAS assigns it to the 2000 shelf of the car that pretty much occupies the entire shelf and God forbid you have multiple bulk stops on the car and make the adjustments on your own your p/t sup is now on your case during his/her "load quality" audit its lose/lose.
Now from the SPA aspect of it, you are expected to scan 1500 pph while grabbing a 3 inch label then apply it to the proper box in a specific area of the box. Am I the only person that sees where these are errors waiting to happen?:angry:

truckjmpr

Safety Last!
I did the seasonal helper thing and spoke to a few people about getting on afterwards as a regular. I have my app online as well as my resume, so we will see what happens. If I do get in, I know pay will suck and I will only be pt, but I am in the navy reserves :tank:and have to do something. I was deployed right before I switched over from temp to perm at my previous job so they werent required to hire me back. So if anything this will get me some benefits...again...if they ever get back to me. I did make a good impression with the powers that be, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I spoke to a couple of friends that have been with the company for years and they both say that a lot of the pt package handlers are a waste and either dont show up or get canned. So being older and a hard worker may be beneficial. Never thought I would be in this boat at this stage of the game!:speechless2:

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
I did the seasonal helper thing and spoke to a few people about getting on afterwards as a regular. I have my app online as well as my resume, so we will see what happens. If I do get in, I know pay will suck and I will only be pt, but I am in the navy reserves :tank:and have to do something. I was deployed right before I switched over from temp to perm at my previous job so they werent required to hire me back. So if anything this will get me some benefits...again...if they ever get back to me. I did make a good impression with the powers that be, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I spoke to a couple of friends that have been with the company for years and they both say that a lot of the pt package handlers are a waste and either dont show up or get canned. So being older and a hard worker may be beneficial. Never thought I would be in this boat at this stage of the game!:speechless2:
At first the pay will suck! but if you enjoy hard work you will be right at home, as for the benefits hopefully you get on before this new contract kicks in or you're in for a bit of a longer wait for bennies to start but the benefits are second to none in the part time world. Good luck and if you are hired remember "Whiteboard" is just for illustrative purposes only it's no where near that easy.:sick:

thebrownbox

Also yo update everyone I will be driving on the weekends soon you have King of the peload above pushing me to get that spot only 2 more spots open!

truckjmpr

Safety Last!
At first the pay will suck! but if you enjoy hard work you will be right at home, as for the benefits hopefully you get on before this new contract kicks in or you're in for a bit of a longer wait for bennies to start but the benefits are second to none in the part time world. Good luck and if you are hired remember "Whiteboard" is just for illustrative purposes only it's no where near that easy.:sick:

Thanks for the input...appreciate it! Now I just have to play the waiting game to see if they will hire me!:anxious:

thebrownbox

Question I've been with UPS now for 5 months I've asked another worker but I should be getting my benefits next month right? Or do I have to wait a bit longer the few days after peak when they asked if I was staying on after the New years as the start of the 6 month period?

thebrownbox

A little update.. amazing how UPS tries to ease you into doing something..

So yeah I'm loading two trucks now they never told me why they moved me over to the belt. (I thought it would be a day and thats it) well turns out the other guy who was loading cars moved on to a FT position at another job.. I was not told until about the 4th day in.

No misloads as of yet, but it's a pain having to split the belt and find time to load the trucks as well before it's time to head out, like this morning 21 large boxes of friken shoes we decided to load them last so the Supervisor puts them on the floor in the way of a truck that had to back out.

I've heard things like Oh your doing so good they want you to drive for Sat. air (Already tried for that) and what a friken mess that was.. Why road test in a P100?? From what I heard they only use up to a P600 on weekends.. nevetheless It's Ok but it must be hell during peak.