So... I'm getting an offer

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Dont walk away from ups RUN !!! This job only gets harder as you age and the production standards are ridiculous..RUN!!!!

moldsporh

Weigh out the retirement and health care.

Then if the RR job pays equal and as low as $5 per hour LESS than UPS, take the RR job. 10 to 15 grand a year is worth quality of life in my opinion.

I do feel for the new drivers at UPS, it isn't what it was but if you have the correct mindset you can make it.

Factor in the time to reach top pay, working in rain, heat with no AC, cold, body aches, no vacations from Thanksgiving to christmas, 9 years to get 3 weeks of vacation, 15 years to get 4 weeks.

This is your life, do you have kids?

UPS isn't a terrible place to work, just know what your getting into.

Box Ox

If the long-term job security with the railroad looks good, absolutely do it. Young drivers are/will be getting hammered year round for their entire careers (if their bodies last) in hopes of getting a pension they might never be able to collect. And job security isn't looking so great in the coming years.

Go be happy year round right now and live comfortably in a body that won't be hurting all the time because of work.

MassWineGuy

A friend who works for the railroads told me that railroad employees pay into a different, more independent retirement system than Social Security. Safer because Congress has no authority over it and can't gut it.

I'd take the job.

Box Ox

You think they will reduce the $36/hr after 2018? If so i may leave lol

I think the company will try to lure away the long-term veterans who are tired of their dumb ORION loads and constantly dreaming of retiring. Offer them an appealing payout, offer full timers in progression as of August 1, 2018 wage protection and establish a second tier, lower-paying wage progression for those who are not full time yet (because ORION 2.8 almost runs the route for you and it's USPS/FEDEX wage competitive anyway, right?!). But maybe lower the number of years to second tier top rate to 1-3 years so part timers wanting to get behind the wheel and see it as relatively big money will still vote for it. If they're unhappy with the pay down the road given their dumb ORION loads and quit, no problem. Bring on the base raters.

Seriously though, I don't envision a situation where you'd be better off going with UPS.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Do it. My wife's cousin works for the railroad. The hours can be sucky (remind you of some place else?) but the work is far less demanding according to him.

barnyard

KTM rider
If I was not FT already, I would do the RR. Dispatching is very easy on the body. The money is better, the retirement is better, the vacation is better. The only sucky thing is having to be available 24/7/365.

At the railroad as a dispatcher
Top rate is $43/hr

I really like UPS... i want to be a driver so bad im that close.

I just got my year in

but $43/hr is too much to pass up on and the railroad benefits are top notch.

I have no idea what to do this is overwhelming.
Take it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I used to know a lot of ARTC's. We had a bar near the airport, and a bunch of those guys were serious drinkers. A very difficult job. One of them told me you can only survive in the job if you thought about moving blips around a screen. If you stopped and thought about having 500 souls under your complete control and 1 mistake would be catastrophic, it would eat you up. I would say about 50% of those guys had heart attacks by age 45. I had a chance at a SP job out of high school, and I wish I'd have taken it now.
ATC's are stressed out big time. I would not do that job unless it was as a civil servant at an army base. Helicopters can be told to hold position.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I used to know a lot of ARTC's. We had a bar near the airport, and a bunch of those guys were serious drinkers. A very difficult job. One of them told me you can only survive in the job if you thought about moving blips around a screen. If you stopped and thought about having 500 souls under your complete control and 1 mistake would be catastrophic, it would eat you up. I would say about 50% of those guys had heart attacks by age 45. I had a chance at a SP job out of high school, and I wish I'd have taken it now.
The hours are insane but the benefits are incredible. If you start at 21 you can retire by 45 with an amazing pension. You can't work past 50. Half of the ATC professors at my school were 50-55 and loaded because they get a nice check from the school and another nice one from the government.

Scratchy

Top rate is $43/hr

I just got my year in

Congrats on the RR offer.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Not sure of the hours the rail is 24 hours so i may be doing nights.

The rail job is a union job

I think i can work around it while training to see if i like it.

I have too much experience with delivery.. i love it lol

Money doesn't mean anything if i do not like it even if im getting $43/hour

Ill start off at 80% of top rate.

Ill rather get paid $18.75 doing something i like then to make $34/hr doing something i dislike

If you love package car, you haven't been doing it very long...

Johney

I think the company will try to lure away the long-term veterans who are tired of their dumb ORION loads and constantly dreaming of retiring. Offer them an appealing payout, offer full timers in progression as of August 1, 2018 wage protection and establish a second tier, lower-paying wage progression for those who are not full time yet (because ORION 2.8 almost runs the route for you and it's USPS/FEDEX wage competitive anyway, right?!). But maybe lower the number of years to second tier top rate to 1-3 years so part timers wanting to get behind the wheel and see it as relatively big money will still vote for it. If they're unhappy with the pay down the road given their dumb ORION loads and quit, no problem. Bring on the base raters.

Seriously though, I don't envision a situation where you'd be better off going with UPS.
This will never happen. No reason to. They will leave on their own due to excessive workloads.

Re-Raise

Top rate is $43/hr

I just got my year in

So does the railroad have a hard time filling positions like this?

Are they just waiting for you to decide because you are the only person, with no experience at all with the railroad, that can do this $43/hr job?

For some reason I keep thinking the hot dog cart is coming next for you too.

rod

Retired 22 years
RR's around the country are hiring big time. I am also pretty sure that a new employ would be stuck with the worst hours at the worst terminal. That being said it appears to still be a healthier choice for a job than the meat grinder UPS has turned into. Yes they have their own social security program and yes it is way more solvent than any SS the government has. In their hay days (30's and 40's) their employees got some off the chart perks. When a friend of mines dad retired from the RR he was getting 12 weeks paid vacation a year. He also for some strange reason didn't EVER have to buy a fishing license in Minnesota. Just another perk for work the RR during one particular contract back in the 40's. He used to love getting in arguments with young game wardens who didn't know about this perk. He always got the last laugh.

Box Ox

Physical Requirements

• Sedentary - No lifting over 10 pounds
  • Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity and ability to recognize colors

LOL

e6fea896cac0c47d842509af713c5f34720dd73f414f56d144ea6037d8a4464a.jpg

O

OLDMAN3

Make an informed decision.
Railroad pension information...

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n2/v68n2p41.html
The Future Funding Outlook
According to RRB reports to Congress, the financial outlook for RRB remains stable for the next 25 years. However, the decline in railroad employment is a potential concern. The number of individuals in RRB-covered employment fell from 640,000 in 1970 to 236,000 in 2007, a shift that presents a sizable demographic obstacle for a pay-as-you-go system. The current beneficiary-to-worker ratio for those covered under the Railroad Retirement Act is about 2.4 to 1. However, between 2000 and 2007, railroad employment has held fairly constant in the low- to mid-two hundred thousands (RRB 2008c).

Current projections make it reasonable to expect that RRB will remain solvent, at least in the near term. Nevertheless, RRB notes "under the current financing structure, actual levels of railroad employment and investment returns over the coming years will largely determine whether corrective action is necessary" (RRB 2008c).

Browndriver5

I don't think part timers who are already cover drivers will take a pay cut. I also think its BS we are even talking about us taking a pay cut in general. Two thirds of UPS employees are part timers there is no reason that you can reward someone for waiting 8-10 years with a good paying salary