So... I'm getting an offer

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I don't think part timers who are already cover drivers will take a pay cut. I also think its BS we are even talking about us taking a pay cut in general. Two thirds of UPS employees are part timers there is no reason that you can reward someone for waiting 8-10 years with a good paying salary
I think if it got voted in, you wouldn't have a choice.

moldsporh

If that's their plan idk why we keep hiring cover drivers, we have a ridiculous amount of cover drivers and only the top 4 drive enough to make a living.

They need to give you work if you request it, the problem is all the burners keep running and skipping lunch and running 220 stops and if they did it by the methods everybody would have a job

How solid is the railroad company? I wonder what happened to the dispatchers at New York Central, Pennsylvania Railroad, Baltimore and Ohio, Nickel Plate, ect. ect. ect.

DOK

At the railroad as a dispatcher
Top rate is $43/hr

I really like UPS... i want to be a driver so bad im that close.

I just got my year in

but $43/hr is too much to pass up on and the railroad benefits are top notch.

I have no idea what to do this is overwhelming.

Railroad, don't look back...

DOK

You think they will reduce the $36/hr after 2018? If so i may leave lol

But nope im still a pt handler and actually won a bid for a full time permanent driver but i was disqualified.

A two tier wage scale is not out of the question in the future IMO.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Top rate $43 an hour, this might not apply to you, but at BNSF, the problem for the people I see, is they aren't employed by the railroad. They are a contract company that does the legwork. When you go to the BNSF railyard, the vast majority of people working, work for the subcontractor. And you can bet they aren't being paid railroad wages.

bbsam

Staff member
I have a former driver looking to come back for a while.
BNSF has been laying off; Apparently ever since Berkshire Hathaway started investing, management has been tightening up on labor.

barnyard

KTM rider
One of my daughter's lives near a BNSF crew change point and says the same thing. She also knows of recent hires that have been furloughed.

P

pickup

I have a former driver looking to come back for a while.
BNSF has been laying off; Apparently ever since Berkshire Hathaway started investing, management has been tightening up on labor.

With the price of oil so low, domestic oil production has declined . BNSF transports oil and so it would make sense to conclude that BNSF isn't as busy as it used to be.

bbsam

Staff member
With the price of oil so low, domestic oil production has declined . BNSF transports oil and so it would make sense to conclude that BNSF isn't as busy as it used to be.
I thought possibly the same thing, but when I asked him, he said they have plenty to move but the new policies with labor are cutting staff. He did have some pretty crazy stories about how little they would so on certain days.