So lower gas is helping fedex fight higher wages

vantexan

"For them, lower fuel costs are helping offset higher wages stemming from a driver shortage."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/cheaper-oil-lifts-airlines-other-u-s-industries-1415394476

It's a article for subscribers; however, I believe if you google the title you can click the link and read for free. I have quoted the relevant sentence.
Not sure where you got it's helping them fight higher wages. It's helping them offset higher wages. Means lower fuel costs help them to maintain profits even though they're having to pay more in labor costs.

Not sure where you got it's helping them fight higher wages. It's helping them offset higher wages. Means lower fuel costs help them to maintain profits even though they're having to pay more in labor costs.

Maybe "fight" was a poor choice of words. My point was that they are already fighting against higher wages my implementing minimal raises. I read the article as though it was implying that FedEx was still competitive in annual increases in pay, and that the lower cost was helping absorb the higher cost of increased wages.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm interested to see the winter profits for ups and fedex. Should be pretty high with fuel prices where they are.

Although fuel surcharges have helped offset the higher costs in the past.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Didn't you get a raise last month?
You call THAT a raise?

Figure in the higher cost of insurance and inflation, we're still in the red.

I see your buddy Fred gave himself a 12% raise. Now that's a genuine increase. Too bad nobody outside of Memphis will ever see a suitable increase like that.