So now what happens?

SpoolEmUp

I got brought on in late May/Early June as a casual. Just recently (maybe 2 weeks ago) I "made book" and got entry into the Union. I have asked my super and manager but haven't gotten many answers (perhaps they don't want me to know?) and my shop steward has been on vacation. The super/manager didn't even tell me about the union, I just noticed all of a sudden on my paycheck union dues were being taken after I passed both my on road evaluations. So, I asked a driver and he said I'm unionized now.

So my question is now what? What's that mean? Do I now have benefits? Do I now get a pay raise? What does all this mean to me? To give a better idea on what our union agreement might be, I'm in NY.

Everyone's explanation on this has been foggy; to a point I get a feeling that the don't want me to fully recognize/use the rights I have earned. Obviously, a talk with the steward is the best idea, but I can't at the moment.

Also, other drivers are warning of a lay-off in october, what happens here? how long? Again, when talking to the manager/super they don't really tell me anything. What's up with that?:angry:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't specify which part of NY you are from so the answers I am going to give will be based upon my experiences in upstate NY. You are a casual/cover driver without a bid route--this means you have to call in each morning unless you are notified the day before that you will be working. You have to work 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter. There is a very good possiblity that you will be laid off in October as you are the low man on the totem pole. Since you are not a FT seniority driver you do not have the 8 hour guarantee nor do you have the right to bump in to the metro/preload to get your hours. The best way for you to work as much as possible is to get trained on as many routes as possible. You can also offer to go blind on a route. Most of the drivers will have already taken their vacations and used up most if not all of their personal and sick days by now, which is to your disadvantage. If you are laid off it will be on a day to day basis.

There is one thing that you can do, although your center team may discourage this--show up each and every day ready to work, whether you are scheduled to work or not. Chances are if one of the old-timers sees you they will take the day so that you can work. I did this when I was a casual and it worked most of the time. As I said, your mgt team may not let you do this.

Johney

By the sound of it this person was an off the street hire. I could be wrong. But did you do anything else for UPS but drive? If so then here you would become lowest senior driver but hire than a cover driver. Were you hired off the street or hired to drive from inside, that will help somewhat. NY does things a lot different than here so I may be off base.

Johney

Are you sure you "made book?" You do know union dues get taken out even as a casual right?
Here lies the question. Here you must gain seniority then sign up to be in the union before dues are taken out. Do you guys take dues from casual(off the street) drivers before seniority?

Indecisi0n

Here lies the question. Here you must gain seniority then sign up to be in the union before dues are taken out. Do you guys take dues from casual(off the street) drivers before seniority?

Yes, casual drivers that have 0 seniority get union dues taken out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Good grief!!! Talk about UPS and the Government being greedy.

The Teamsters charge Union dues even when you aren't working ?

Your management probably don't know anything about the Teamsters and your dues - Payroll handles that.
That's between you and the Teamsters ... I'd suggest contacting the Local. BTW ... I'm sure they will thank you for the dues.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
WOW! No bennies yet they take dues? I think I'd have a problem with that. But I suppose if that's the way it's always been done then oh well.
'Closed Shop' versus 'Right-to-Work'.
Say, how about instead of having to pay dues, casual drivers get a wage of $9.50 instead of $16.10? Deal?

SpoolEmUp

Sorry for the delayed response, anyways, I'm an off-the-street hire. I've never had a job with UPS before this casual driving job.

I just figured if the union was taking dues, then there would be a 'product' for that price. Maybe it's a glitch?

I'm just wondering what exactly I get out of those dues since they're about $160/month. Maybe something like a pay increase, benefits, etc. But, I guess not. No big deal, I'm just lucky to have a job; that's good enough.

A far as bid routes, etc- I don't have one that I've bid on, but I do have one that is 'mine.' I don't call every morning either, I show up and get in my truck. Sometimes, once in a while, I'll get a random day off when there aren't enough pieces for my full route so they'l collapse it and the 2 closest drivers split it.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
$160/month is waaaaay above even the highest monthly dues of even top scale drivers. You're also paying the initiation fee (it might not be itemized separately); and/or back dues if you didn't pay any as a casual, possibly; or a requirement to pay in advance a few months.
Check with your steward and/or union Business Agent to make sure your official company seniority date is correct. Contact your local union's dues department to verify why you're paying so much, and how long it will take to get to a 'normal' dues payment rate.
Most contract supplements provide for a (modest) pay raise upon attaining seniority, check with your steward.
Getting health insurance varies widely; if you're in a Teamster plan you may have to work a certain # of hours.

whiskey

sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Before you know it, you'll be making 80 large a year and you can look back at this time in your life and laugh about it. But it ain't funny right now.

moreluck

golden ticket member
sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Before you know it, you'll be making 80 large a year and you can look back at this time in your life and laugh about it. But it ain't funny right now.
According to sleeve, no one at UPS makes over $75,000.