So Sick Of German Shepherds

vantexan

Once out in the desert I pulled up to a house but parking was about 30 yards from door. About halfway to door an about 90lb pitbull female came running from side building with teeth bared. This is back when we still had clipboards. Used it to fend her off over and over. Lady comes to door, watches us for about 30 seconds, then tells me to stop teasing her dog! Told her if she wanted pkg she'd better call the dog off.

As for German Shepherds, saw one in Texas that was 140 lbs. Owner had him shipped from a breeder in Germany, said they're bigger over there. He recommended I stay several feet from gate. No problem!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Knew a courier who was chased back to his truck by a German Shepherd. Fell in the process of leaping back into his truck and broke his collarbone. Management found him at fault/preventable accident. Said he shouldn't have run/unsafe act. Go figure.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Knew a courier who was chased back to his truck by a German Shepherd. Fell in the process of leaping back into his truck and broke his collarbone. Management found him at fault/preventable accident. Said he shouldn't have run/unsafe act. Go figure.
What a bunch of A$$holz.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Once out in the desert I pulled up to a house but parking was about 30 yards from door. About halfway to door an about 90lb pitbull female came running from side building with teeth bared. This is back when we still had clipboards. Used it to fend her off over and over. Lady comes to door, watches us for about 30 seconds, then tells me to stop teasing her dog! Told her if she wanted pkg she'd better call the dog off.

As for German Shepherds, saw one in Texas that was 140 lbs. Owner had him shipped from a breeder in Germany, said they're bigger over there. He recommended I stay several feet from gate. No problem!

I've had a few try to bite me none have succeeded yet. I've only had two owners tell me not to get out of the truck. Both German Shepard owners.

bacha29

During the years I was a contractor' I was bitten twice. Both time I did what the law required. I went to the hospital emergency room for treatment. Once there I filed the report. The dog catcher went out got the dog and quarantined for ten days. As for the bill , I did not turn it into my accident insurance and pay the $500 deductible. I simply handed it to the dog owner and said " Pay it or we go to court". They did because neither one had a nickel's worth of liability insurance. As for the "Beware Of The Dog Sign" remember all they're doing is announcing to the public that they have a dog with a proven history of aggressive behavior and poses a danger . That tells you that they have no liability insurance but think that sign protects them but all it does is defer to you the right to decide what to due in response to the existance of that dog which includes not entering the property Other times when I ran into an aggressive dog I told the people right to their face. " Get some liability insurance on it or get rid of it"P.S. A dog's saliva is loaded with bacteria in all forms. The wound often becomes infected. One of the best antiseptics is right there in your truck......... Windshield Washer Fluid. All it is is alcohol.The very attractive ER doctor was very impressed when I told her what I used on my wound.

whenIgetthere

During the years I was a contractor' I was bitten twice. Both time I did what the law required. I went to the hospital emergency room for treatment. Once there I filed the report. The dog catcher went out got the dog and quarantined for ten days. As for the bill , I did not turn it into my accident insurance and pay the $500 deductible. I simply handed it to the dog owner and said " Pay it or we go to court". They did because neither one had a nickel's worth of liability insurance. As for the "Beware Of The Dog Sign" remember all they're doing is announcing to the public that they have a dog with a proven history of aggressive behavior and poses a danger . That tells you that they have no liability insurance but think that sign protects them but all it does is defer to you the right to decide what to due in response to the existance of that dog which includes not entering the property Other times when I ran into an aggressive dog I told the people right to their face. " Get some liability insurance on it or get rid of it"P.S. A dog's saliva is loaded with bacteria in all forms. The wound often becomes infected. One of the best antiseptics is right there in your truck......... Windshield Washer Fluid. All it is is alcohol.The very attractive ER doctor was very impressed when I told her what I used on my wound.[/QUOTE

When I was mauled by pitbulls many years ago, I told the owner it's the doc and vet bills or your house, you decide. He chose the bills.

fedex_rtd

Stories like this make me happy to be an RTD, you just don't see dogs at shipping docks.

Now back when I was a DGO driver I was at a residential stop, my passenger door was open and I had opened the bulkhead door to get the package, as soon as I turned around a dog had jumped in and was staring me down.

I reached over and waived a dog treat at him ant tossed it out the door. Glad that trick worked.

So you saw the dog, and STILL decided to go into their yard?

You should have had dispatch call the recipient or just door tag it.

A package isnt worth your life.

bacha29

I too had a lot of very nice dogs on my route. When I headed in with the box they would jump in the truck and choose among two or three diffent types of dog treats. Getting them to leave sometimes was bit of a problem so on occasion I would close the door and take them with me on a few stops . The dog owners loved it . But the hostitle dogs and their owners I had no accommodation whatsoever. There was this one place that had this duck. When she was signing for the box I felt something down at my feet. Here was this damn duck picking away at my shoes laces. The lady said, "he tries to untie your shoes" . I let him go ahead an do it. That damn duck thought it was the funniest thing in the world.

fatboy33

Must be corporate policy to place the blame on the courier, regardless how unjust. I could picture it. A courier trying to remove a large box from the rear bumper side of the truck. A car crashes into him, crushing his legs. Management, "You should have used the loading dock, preventable". Courier backs into loading dock and, in the process of backing, a car bumps his truck. Management, "You shouldn't have been backing, Preventable". Jerks.

FedGT

About a year ago I was delivering to an extremely high end neighborhood on a mountain that I never had been to before. Pull up to a steep stamped concrete driveway that is on a bend 20 feet away, so I grab the 30# pkg and start walking. I turn the bend only to find about 40 yards up a 15 degree slope there is another bend.........son of a......eventually turn that corner and I can barely see the glimpse of the roof of this mansion once again barely eclipsing another bend 40-50 yards away, you have got to be kidding me. Finally I get about 35' from the steps of the house and I catch some movement in the corner of my eye, sure enough here comes a 50 or so pound brown mut running straight at me. I have some speed but know there's no way I am outrunning a dog while sprinting down 1.5 football fields without falling on my face and getting bit in the ass while in the fetal position.
Decided to pull the old bear tactic and flexed up with box over head (mainly to smash it if it kept running) and it stopped, holy crap it worked....took another couple steps to the door and the damn thing came right for the ankles, that's it go with the toss of fear to the front door and had to walk backwards watching the dog the entire way back down to the truck.
Good times, have another story too but that one took to long to write.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
German shepherds and Australian shepherds are the two I will never trust. Side note: I am amazed at how many people bring these and other territorial dogs to their offices. Seems like a huge liability.

Same! Delivered a box to a nice house, dog was fine. I talked to him the whole way to the door, "good boy! Hey buddy!" He was fine. Dropped the box, turned around to leave and he chomped my calf. Kicked him as hard as I could and he left.

Ever since that day, whenever there's a dog outside, it gets thrown at the mail box and released "other: under mail box due to dog" then one of the regular houses with a mean dog filed a no show delivery.

So after that, dog outside ge

whenIgetthere

If they have a dog more than likely they have a gated yard.. Stick the door tag outside of the gate.

Had one this week, locked gate, dogs in the yard. Blow horn, no response. Tag gate. Come back second day, I can see signed tag on front door, gate still locked with dogs in the yard again, tag gate again. Repeat third day after writing on tag to please leave on gate, nope, repeat of first two days. Oh well.

MaineGroundDriver

So you saw the dog, and STILL decided to go into their yard?

You should have had dispatch call the recipient or just door tag it.

A package isnt worth your life.

If I did that at every recipient's house that had a loose dog, I'd be on the phone half of the day and/or not delivering half my load! You wouldn't believe some of these rural towns and the amounts of large, unchained, ungated dogs!