So, So Many Have Bad Backs

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I snow blow and shovel off my decks,etc and can't believe how many people have only been clearing their driveway and not their walkways. I will walk through a few inches of snow but won't walk on icy hills or steps that haven't been cleared off.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I snow blow and shovel off my decks,etc and can't believe how many people have only been clearing their driveway and not their walkways. I will walk through a few inches of snow but won't walk on icy hills or steps that haven't been cleared off.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app
My wife wants to clear off all the decks & steps at my house too, but I won't let her.......until she's finishes cleaning of the cars & shoveling the driveway.

satellitedriver

May God continue to Bless Texas.
Ice and snow are rare enough to be able use emergency conditions.
I was born on the Gulf Coast and I firmly believe that ice only belongs in a glass.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They give us ice cleats where I'm at. I never where then I just walk like a penguin on the ice.

They do the same here. We have a driver out on comp with a rotator cuff injury due to the ice cleats. He was getting back in to the pkg car, misjudged the step by 1/2", slipped and tried to catch himself with his right arm which caused the injury. His right arm is in a sling and he is working the preload (scanning) as part of his light duty.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
For those lazy homes, always put package out of reach of door, so no matter how they try, they must step into the mess in order to reach the package. The farther, the better! Knock loud, ring, and run!

They do the same here. We have a driver out on comp with a rotator cuff injury due to the ice cleats. He was getting back in to the pkg car, misjudged the step by 1/2", slipped and tried to catch himself with his right arm which caused the injury. His right arm is in a sling and he is working the preload (scanning) as part of his light duty.
I can't believe they use them. It's a liability waiting to happen. We've had guys sprain their ankles because of them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't believe they use them. It's a liability waiting to happen. We've had guys sprain their ankles because of them.

I refuse to use them although I do concede that there are some stops where they would come in handy. I deliver to a lot of office buildings and I'm sure they would be thrilled if I walked on their floors wearing ice cleats.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For those lazy homes, always put package out of reach of door, so no matter how they try, they must step into the mess in order to reach the package. The farther, the better! Knock loud, ring, and run!

I thought I was the only one who did this. I put I just far enough from the door where they have to actually go outside to retrieve it.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Clearing snow, and ice from sidewalks and steps is old fashioned.
Only old people make sure it's clean.
Generation X and Millennial's just walk on it, pack it into ice.
I figure they all have bad backs, can't lift a shovel full of snow.
Our backs are just sore from working to pay for your social security, with the full knowledge that we will not be receiving anything when the funds run dry in 2033. Because, as I'm sure you know, SS is funded by the payments made by the current workforce to pay the current retirees. Damn those lazy young people! Paying for my retirement!

By the way, most millennials live in apartments, as the economy which was ruined by members of a certain other generation, places owning a home out of the reach of most. I've certainly never had more than couple inches of ice on the floor of my Kansas apartment building, I don't see what all the noise is about.

Last edited:

Oak

This past peak was the sixth season I have worked as a helper, but the first time with snow. We got two inches of sleet/freezing rain mix with ten inches of snow on top of that back in early December.

I have a new found respect for those that shovel. I don't have a sidewalk and I never shoveled in the past, but have shoveled a path ever since and will from this point on.