So...what does management hate about US?

tieguy

Banned
I don't like kiss buts. Though I do enjoy watching some of the creative ways thaat some people will come up with to work me for something they want.

I don't like snakes. Always have a few that stand in the back row and try to push others into fighting battles they would not take on theirselves.

Don't like grandstanders that try to put on a show in front of a crowd.

Do like most people I deal with at ups because I believe most are basically sincere and trying to get the job done.

Fnix

I don't like kiss buts. Though I do enjoy watching some of the creative ways thaat some people will come up with to work me for something they want.

I don't like snakes. Always have a few that stand in the back row and try to push others into fighting battles they would not take on theirselves.

Do like most people I deal with at ups because I believe most are basically sincere and trying to get the job done.

Why do I feel that management looks down on P/T hourlies because they think they are poor uneducated scum?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Why do I feel that management looks down on P/T hourlies because they think they are poor uneducated scum?
Because you let them make you feel that way, same could be said of anyone. The truly good ft mgmt, started PART TIME also, and learned the whole business. In my opinion, that is what makes good management.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

another example of a thread getting hijacked. not sure why he would respond with such a question to my post. less work don't put words in my mouth I started out part time.

"Don't get too comfy.

I said I would be here a lot less not leaving."

Like many management employees, not good on their own word.

Enjoy!

:peaceful:

dillweed

awesome :happy2:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Like the P/T's are?
Showing up for work would be a nice start.
Most new hires around here do not last for three days and don't even bother to call in that they have quit.

Yeah. So, let's take a look at who's hiring these people (in some instances drug pushers and unabashed criminals). It isn't part timers unloading a trailer. Who's fault is it? someone wearing a Tie, I bet you! :)

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
I don't think mgmt likes it when you know your rights..ie once I asked for an 8hr req only to have my dr sup say " sorry only 1 driver per loop" which isn't true where I work but I think is true in different locals. I didn't get my req granted that day. I had to have our union guy show it to him in blck and white before he believed it. He treated me worse after that. Now I've lost some respect for him.

bugman74

They probably dislike us the same way we dislike them, when they need something and we don't help out. They have things that need to get done as well as us and think about how you feel when they are gone the second you need them. Now that the new GPS system is up, will now help them with OCA, so they say.

I'm sure management hates many things we do or don't do. I bet they really hate it when we echo their "instructions" to us when they ask the question, " Why the heck did you do that?"

M

Mud for Blood No Lonver

Let me preface this by pointing out a few things: I was a supervisor of union employees. My workgroup and I worked IN the hub but not FOR the hub. I always tried to treat all employees fairly, and I only had to do "formal" discipline (warning letters, suspensions) during the beginning of my assignment with them (to clean up obvious behavioral issues the previous supervisor let slide - coming in an hour late, walking off the job, taking funeral leave after the union employee's grandmother died for the tenth time, etc.). I tried to be a good supervisor for them, since I came from a union family (my dad is the steward for his union in the AFL-CIO) and could see their side of things. In short, I tried to be the model supervisor, not the ego-driven maniacs you see running around the operation, swearing and breaking down spirits. Those types of supervisors don't understand that unloading a trailer in 100 degree weather can slow down performance, and they don't grasp that some IE pencil-pusher in Atlanta (who has never worked in an operation) has given the districts virtually unattainable numbers, and that all the screaming and berating in the world isn't going to turn a sorter into Superman. But I digress.

98% of my union people were great, and if you gave them respect, they'd return it. There were a few pukes though. Firstly, there was the employee who'd expect ME to follow the contract to the letter of the law (if a lower seniority employee got a minute more work, they'd grieve; if I breathed on a package, they'd grieve), but they wanted me to bend contract rules for THEIR benefit. The one lady in my group had a grievance on management at least once a week, but when she wanted both of her vacations scheduled in the summer and couldn't (she didn't have much seniority, and all the summer weeks had already been picked). She tried to get me to coerce another union person to move their weeks, and then she wanted to schedule all five personal days (which I denied). I told her she could take all five sick days (which I couldn't deny), but she grieved that as well. :-)

The second type of union puke is the one who literally wants the world. My group didn't have a lot of physical work (revenue recovery). It didn't take much brain-power either (scanning labels). They get a good wage, free tuition, better benefits than management, and a plenty of days off, the work wasn't strenuous, and they STILL complained about how much their job sucked. They wanted pizza for showing up to work, donuts for staying the whole shift, and a presidential medal of honor for making their goals.

But all in all, I liked my union folk. Mostly I was just jealous that they got free tuition and better benefits than me. :-)

rocket man

The sups are not bad, They dont hate anyone at all. They are marriage counslers when you need off for family problems, They are doctors when you get sick on the route and need to go in. They are even travel agents they will tell you if its a good travel day when you need a option day off. I have a sup thats the smartest person in the entire division Tthats what he says. So there is no question bussiness or pleasure that can not or will not be answered How CAN THEY DISLIKE ANYONE. You ask me and i know you didnt you should be sorry to make a statment,about sups there yor buddy.For life or untlll they transfer.:wink2:

Channahon

Yeah. So, let's take a look at who's hiring these people (in some instances drug pushers and unabashed criminals). It isn't part timers unloading a trailer. Who's fault is it? someone wearing a Tie, I bet you! :)

Just so you know, there are hiring guidelines at UPS which include demographics and student hiring for part timers. I'm guessing you have heard of "Earn to Learn" or "Tuition Reimbursement".

There are also tours of the operation so the prospective employee can see first hand the working conditions and the physical labor involved with the job.

The applicant is then interviewed and asked if they want the position, understanding they can pass a background check.

So don't throw the blame on an employee who cannot or won't commit to a job at UPS at a person with a "Tie"

I speak from experience and the "other side" of UPS.