So what's it really take...

TxRoadDawg

aight y'all whats it take to move up. I keep hearing a four year degree in basket weaving or some other meaningless major is required. funny part is outside the center I get told its just a center manager to sign off on driving school to drive awhile as any SMART fulltime sup should do first. After that going full time is 90% center manager wanting you to, and the dm signing off and a willingness to relocate if necessary as long as you dont blow the mapp.

By the way I already know in dreamland you bust your ass, prove you worth in a variety of circumstances, and get promoted strictly by merit. I also know more sups with no or irrelevant degrees like english and philosophy than I've met with industrial engineering or business management degrees. So what does it really take?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
aight y'all whats it take to move up. I keep hearing a four year degree in basket weaving or some other meaningless major is required. funny part is outside the center I get told its just a center manager to sign off on driving school to drive awhile as any SMART fulltime sup should do first. After that going full time is 90% center manager wanting you to, and the dm signing off and a willingness to relocate if necessary as long as you dont blow the mapp.

By the way I already know in dreamland you bust your ass, prove you worth in a variety of circumstances, and get promoted strictly by merit. I also know more sups with no or irrelevant degrees like english and philosophy than I've met with industrial engineering or business management degrees. So what does it really take?
That's because people with 'industrial engineering or business management degrees' have options.
A 4 year degree is a must except for operations but then you are stuck in operations for your career most likely.
A 4 year degree use to be required for operations (~10 years ago) but now UPS is having problems hiring/promoting into full-time operations management positions.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
ANOTHER disparaging remark about the feeder department! reminds me of an incident one time. I was sitting on the inbound phone, which is right by the path of people leaving the building. All the package car drivers walking out, looking like they took a shower with their uniforms on. I had to go by the shop. My a/c was so cold, it was causing frost to form on the inside of my windows. They had to let some Freon out so I wouldn't get frostbite.:biggrin:

TxRoadDawg

Hell I keep my office 68 in the heat and 74 in the cold. Still trade it for a few years of those fat onroad checks. Kmew I shoulda checked other on the eoc form....

Sent using BrownCafe App

TxRoadDawg

cozy up to your manager- meaning suck him off
cozy up to dm means suck him off, act like ur really interested in the job, because nobody likes that job,they do it for a full-time salary
be white in a hub full of blacks
be black in a hub full of whites
where neat clothes ie slacks, shoes
dont have visible tats, and have military or clean haircut
show off in front of manager even if it means doing union work
undermine and oneup coworkers to make urslef appear more competent than reality
degree helps, but its mostly a plus after they "Like" you
So basically your better off being average, not bad enough to piss the center manager off, not good enough he decides your too good to replace. be in the DM's home center to bring him coffee and donuts everyday. And if you hapen to be a black hispanic indian asain lesbian female the job is yours. Gee all these years I thought it was performance based lmao

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That's because people with 'industrial engineering or business management degrees' have options.
A 4 year degree is a must except for operations but then you are stuck in operations for your career most likely.
A 4 year degree use to be required for operations (~10 years ago) but now UPS is having problems hiring/promoting into full-time operations management positions.
Lets see...pay freeze, no pension, inferior benefits, zero job security and bonuses based upon unattainable/impossible numbers. Why would anyone in their right mind take a full time operations management position in today's UPS?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lets see...pay freeze, no pension, inferior benefits, zero job security and bonuses based upon unattainable/impossible numbers. Why would anyone in their right mind take a full time operations management position in today's UPS?
Hire from the outside, they don't know any better! LOL

TxRoadDawg

hope and change hope and change. oh yea where have I heard that line of crap before

BrownChoice

Some want it because of injuries, and having no other options outside of ups id imagine.

Most on-roads do have some kind of ailment.....or brain impediment...lol

bagpipes

Your original post had some assumptions, which aren't necessary to answer the first sentence.

1) same function
2) same geo area
3) same business unit

Remove these restrictions and the game can change dramatically.

If moving up is important, do some research and make some calls, knock on some doors on your own time... Networking is important everywhere you go.

Sent using BrownCafe App