So whats the deal with TNT takeover?

UPS_UK

Brown Brown & more Brown
Yeah that is true but wer are making good inroads in China and we are not that far behind them. I reckon things will happen in the next 6-12 months with both companies.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
UPS bid for TNT could come this weekend, report says

By Steve Goldstein
Last update: 4:19 a.m. EDT Aug. 22, 2008

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- A bid by UPS could come this weekend, The Times (of
London) reported, citing speculation. The report said the speculation was
that UPS will offer between 34 and 38 euros a share. TNT shares rose 7.3% to
26.55 euros.

We'll see if this is fact or just another Silly Season thing..

david cassin

dublinbrown
where are with we this supposedly tnt deal are we going to eat the orange ????????
heard nothing over her in good old ireland only the financial woes of all the greedy banks..:happy-very:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i HOPE we buy TNT. There have been rumors for months, but they keep getting shot down. who knows.

no way in heck we buy DHL - they are too shady and UPS is too ethical to acquire DHL. I think we had an opporuntiy to buy them in 1995 or so, but it was something we walked away from once seeing their practices. That is only a rumor I heard.

But again, I am all for a TNT acquisition/merger and I wanted to bump this for the euro partners and see if they have heard anything else.

UPS_UK

Brown Brown & more Brown
According to a UK Division Manager for the UK South & London area, UPS' bid for TNT in December for just over €10billion was accepeted and the deal is just about done but no annoucement will be made for at least 6-8 months.

This is from the division manager him self.

david cassin

dublinbrown
i'll believe it when i see it.would be interesting though.alot of their drivers are sub contractors here in ireland.
ups uk can you tell me if all uk employess were told that there was a pay freeze for 2008.we were given this info last wednesday..
thanks
david

UPS_UK

Brown Brown & more Brown
David, yes UK pay has been frozen. Not a lot of happy people. There is even talk about cutting down the sales force comission, I for one would not be happy if that was done. It's hard neough try toget new customers on board at the moment!!

The best and quickest way to demotivate your sales team......no comission!!

david cassin

dublinbrown
thanks for that ups uk.i was talking to one of our sales guy and we are abit pricey on some shipping alright i can't see why they don't drop the prices down at least to compete more with dhl in ire/uk.but then ups do want to make money i reckon dhl is losing money head over heals just to get the business .i work in the brokerage section and we actually are putting alot of leads in so hope some come through successful.

Tiny Panda

thanks for that ups uk.i was talking to one of our sales guy and we are abit pricey on some shipping alright i can't see why they don't drop the prices down at least to compete more with dhl in ire/uk.but then ups do want to make money i reckon dhl is losing money head over heals just to get the business .i work in the brokerage section and we actually are putting alot of leads in so hope some come through successful.

I was told by our sales team that UPS are under cutting everyone where there is a decent amount of volume. That said however i put in a lead and the customer told me that UPS had quoted over a £1 less than Interlink and they are bargain basement rates. I guess its all volume at the end of the day

UPSviking

I know this is getting old, but the TNT guys in Scandinavia is starting to talk about us taking them over, some of their higher up´s seem to be confirming this rumor again? anybody have some news on this?

Mr Shifter

I don't know anything from a management perspective but here in texas i noticed a TNT box in our system with a ups label coming "customer service" from their center/shop to an here address locally. I don't see why one of their own drivers couldnt deliver it themselves.

klein

Für Meno :)
Only thing I know about TNT is this : :party:

7983.jpg

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't know anything from a management perspective but here in texas i noticed a TNT box in our system with a ups label coming "customer service" from their center/shop to an here address locally. I don't see why one of their own drivers couldnt deliver it themselves.

shifter, I dont believe tnt has many drivers here in the us. Ups does deliver air from tnt that has been picked up abroad and is inbound to the us, I see these from time to time mostly letters. Some people dont realize how large of a player tnt is in many other countries, just like exel was before dhl bought them. They have a mail division and package division among other interests. This would be a big deal if ups did buy them since it would put ups toe to toe with dhl internationally, and leave fedex in the dust....it is huge.

Mr Shifter

Well I sure am glad we are tnt's "customer service" strong arms and not fedex.
Does anyone know if fedex gets this privelage at other centers or station?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
anything on this, Euro partners?

TNT announces every few months they are a takeover target so their stock goes up.

I want their asia>europe ground network, and that would really make us a player...

UPSviking

anything on this, Euro partners?
TNT announces every few months they are a takeover target so their stock goes up.

I want their asia>europe ground network, and that would really make us a player...

Nope nothing.....

You are right about their Ground network, we really need it. We are getting steamrolled over here by our competitors on ground EUR pallet goods......

I think that UPS is in the market for TNT ground network, only thing is that it seems to be bundled with the MUCH less attractive LOSS MAKING Express business that TNT have.

If UPS where to take it all over, we would be left with an GIGANTIC surplus of workers from TNT, they have an completely different "work attitude" than us and it won't go down well in Europe if we would have to get rid of 35-50,000 TNT employees.

I think that we will take their "ground" if we can get it, but we will have to pass if it involves their Express business unit.