So when do all the seasonal drivers start pouring into the yards?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by thatsmypackage, Oct 27, 2013.

1. thatsmypackage

thatsmypackage New Member

Basically waiting to hear from HR to let me know when I'll be coming in to start driving. Anybody have an idea when the seasonal drivers start working?

Last year I was called in last minute around 7am from the manager to be in by 9am... then from there I was working everyday 'til December 24th... but I started late, around the end of November.
  2. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Already started. Our first ones were here Oct 1st.
  3. MDupsernj

MDupsernj New Member

I started late November last year also...they called me back in May and made book in July. We've had a couple all summer and now a bunch more I see lately.
  4. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

5. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

It will be a couple weeks in my building.
  6. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

7. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

We have several that have started already. It won't be long for you. Hang in there.
  8. thatsmypackage

Well, I'm at the point where if they call me good, if not good... I still have most of my uniforms in the box ready to turn back in. Part of me doesn't even want to work for them this year... IDK ... I just don't have a good vibe about UPS for some reason. The manager at my local yard is kind of a prick anyway. :)
  9. HomeDelivery

HomeDelivery Well-Known Member

yikes, why do they leave you in the dark like that?

i've had 2 former temp drivers from brown switch to the temp purple uniforms for similar reasons

they'd give them some work on mon, tues, then call them to not come in on wed, thurs & fri will be 50:50 shot of coming in to drive... of course, this varies from hub-to-hub based on "operational needs"

either they couldn't cut it & were on a "b" list to be called upon when only needed as a last resort or they're not giving me the "big picture"

at least on the purple side, they'll make you work up to 40 hours until the peak volume hits the belts... then it's up to 70 hours per week as a temp purple driver~
  10. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Huh. They are training a temp this week and we have 4 extra drivers, so unpaid days for those that want them.
  11. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

We started some earlier this month and they were doing more road tests today.
  12. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Active Member

It's been three weeks since my week long UPS training. The phone rang at around 7 this morning but I let the machine get it. It was the center calling me in for work for the first time. Later I spoke to the center manager who told me not to sweat it and come in tomorrow at 9.
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Was there a reason you didn't feel like working today?
  14. thatsmypackage

I don't blame you... This is the kind of methodology I don't like about UPS. They expect us to drop everything and go to work, with absolutely zero notice. I'm going on 3 weeks since I took the tests and still no calls... I'm afraid to make any plans beyond day to day in case they call me in. The mentality being, "If you really want the job, you will bend over backwards for it." ... Sorry, not for me. Soon as I am good and ready I'm turning in my uniforms... I'll find a driving job somewhere else that doesn't require jumping through hoops just to make a few bucks.
  15. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

​It was Tuesday.
  16. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

BSWALKS Easily Amused

When a manager or supe says don't sweat it, it actually means the opposite.
  18. HomeDelivery

HomeDelivery Well-Known Member

try FedEx Home Delivery:peaceful: #sarcasm... but it'll take ~ 2 weeks for the background checks & DOT screen to go through
  19. thatsmypackage

LOL... Fedex is probably worse. If I didn't need money for the holidays, I'd wait until I was brown in the face for brown to call.
  20. thatsmypackage

Well, They finally called me in. Gonna go in a 9am and see how it goes. This should be very interesting. lol