So.....WHY R We discussing 2013 Healthcare Concessions...with THIS NEWS

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If they continue to report "record profits" and are still making money with the plans we already had, why should be have to "downgrade"? They don't have to magically increase anything that was already in place for previous retirees but we simply shouldn't have anything less than what was there before, unless the company wasn't making as much money. Otherwise, there should be no concessions made on our behalf.

​I'm sure UPS would agree to provide the same amount of funding they did before ... is that what you meant?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ups has always said that either fedex or the post office was taking "our" volume...this was even said in the 80's when ups had record growth and were hiring people left and right. Its just numbers and ups knows how to manipulate them better than anyone..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
ups has always said that either fedex or the post office was taking "our" volume...this was even said in the 80's when ups had record growth and were hiring people left and right. Its just numbers and ups knows how to manipulate them better than anyone..

One consideration ... FedEx Ground and Home did not exist then.

​Yes, UPS has some of the sharpest pens around.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I just re-read the Central States C6 plan again it still sucks !!!

Stewie, from what I have gathered there are no concessions for us in 623, or for any of the 140,000 being moved into TeamCare, as UPS picks up the balance of whatever TeamCare doesn't cover. Was speaking to one of our hall officers and he said UPS might end up paying more now, as there was a $2 mil cap on a fee of some kind that won't be there now that they aren't fully funding our plan, although I'll be honest I didnt get the full gist of what he was saying because I don't think UPS would do something that would cost them more, unless there is something bigger afoot, down the road.

Now, when it comes to what is being done to retirees in regards to concessions, that's another story ...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One consideration ... FedEx Ground and Home did not exist then.

​Yes, UPS has some of the sharpest pens around.

Is it true that before the 97 strike ups knew that FedEx was looking to acquire RPS...even though only a year or so earlier Fred S was quoted many times that there was no money to be made on ground delivery and they were not going to get into that segment of the market??

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is it true that before the 97 strike ups knew that FedEx was looking to acquire RPS...even though only a year or so earlier Fred S was quoted many times that there was no money to be made on ground delivery and they were not going to get into that segment of the market??

I don't know but I do know I would never believe anything Fred S made in regards to competition and the transportation market ... or most anything for that matter.

The mid to late 90's appears to have been a period where UPS misread a lot of things.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't know but I do know I would never believe anything Fred S made in regards to competition and the transportation market ... or most anything for that matter.

The mid to late 90's appears to have been a period where UPS misread a lot of things.

Just wondering if seeing customers BEGGING RPS drivers to take packages and the flood of new ground accounts being started changed his mind. Just curious what examples could you give on ups misreading things??

From Cheryl's News Post -

“The fastest growing marketplace in the U.S. and in many markets around the world is e-commerce,” Subramaniam said. “More shopping is going online, and the services required are different. Our service is a very customer-centric offering.”

The number of U.S. online shoppers is expected to increase to 192 million in 2016 from 167 million last year, Subramaniam said. FedEx Delivery Manager and UPS My Choice may help both shippers capture more online retail business, which is forecast by Forrester Research Inc. to grow 13 percent to $262 billion this year."

Personally, my vote on this contract will center around our healthcare benefit package. Most non-economic issues are basically meaningless at UPS. Any reduction in healthcare benefits is not acceptable. I will not be mislead by issues or statements such as Obamacare, "everyone is paying for benefits", our healthcare package is showing up as a liability for the company's balance sheet, etc....

UPS is a PHYSICAL job which requires excellent top of the line healthcare. You certainly can not count on Workers Comp to resolve injury claims at UPS. I have witnessed many times where a worker will turn the injury in as a disability claim rather than fight for Workers Comp. UPS hires lawyers that specialize in fighting Comp claims....

UPS, Hoffa, Hall......... Please know that I will VOTE NO on ANY reduction of healthcare benefits from what I am currently receiving. And yes, I will evaluate co-pays, deductibles, prescription benefits, vision, etc...... considering that I am retiring in 8 months.... I will also be looking at what we retirees will be paying also.... I am NOT interested in having Central States cover my healthcare....retiree or otherwise...
Like I said. Ups will triple in value in five to ten years. But some say that this contract is good. You say don't burn the hand that feeds you. Well it is slapping us in the face.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
IMHO there are a few jobs, not all, that wear and tear on the body as ours does.
My body is breaking, I have salon pas all over my back to make it through the week. I have no injury but the constant wear and tear, while good in the exercise area, those of us who have/had the high step for yrs, are paying the price, and now they want me to pay? For helping them make record profits?
I have to vote no, if central states couldn't handle my pension, why would I want them to handle my healthcare?
I can just go out and get food stamps, Medicaid, help with utilities and see how the other half lives. Voting yes is like asking to get kicked a little harder. Keep the raises. Keep my healthcare the exact same, for active and retirees. Maybe when I retire I can actually use it.

Fullhouse

Thats when the thrift plan was disolved and stock was made public!

A

anonymous6

they say that when you have your health you have everything. that is so true. so everybody should take care of themselves while you are working. you don't want to retire after 35 years and be a cripple ...... and broke.

get my meaning????

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Like I said. Ups will triple in value in five to ten years. But some say that this contract is good. You say don't burn the hand that feeds you. Well it is slapping us in the face.
UPS will be incredibly lucky to double in value in the next ten years. I don't see any means to do that. Probably lucky to increase around 70% if everything goes perfectly.

UPS has gone up less than 35% in value in the last 10 years and 25% of that has not come from UPS operations staffed with US Teamsters.

twoweeled

Its time for HOFFA and HALL to come through for us Atleast ONCE!!!!! Just be prepared to vote NO even though they will claim its a historic win for teamsters and END part time poverty !

of course you are correct, but I think it's obvious there is no intention by our leaders to do that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS will be incredibly lucky to double in value in the next ten years. I don't see any means to do that. Probably lucky to increase around 70% if everything goes perfectly.

UPS has gone up less than 35% in value in the last 10 years and 25% of that has not come from UPS operations staffed with US Teamsters.

​To be fair hoax many of ups operations overseas are also union..are they not??

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Whats the difference between teamsters union in the us and joe blow union in Germany or England??

Different contractual agreements with UPS is what I was talking about.

There are probably other differences but I honestly don't know.

I do know In​ternational UPS is much more profitable as a percent of revenue than US Ground is.