So you are out delivering during peak when a reporter approaches you...

brett636

...and they want your take on the years peak season volume and the fact that many won't get their gifts by Christmas. Do you you go ahead and give them your two cents or tell them you are too busy to comment right now?

This got me thinking when I saw the USA today report about the UPS driver saying this year has been the worst ever. I can't imagine UPS condoning or even allowing the interviewing of a package delivery driver like that so it was most likely an on the spot interview where the driver obviously wasn't afraid of any retaliation back at his center incase he said the wrong thing. So I was just curious how many other drivers here would answer their questions considering the tight control corporate likes to have on UPS related news stories.

Marne Vet

No, I don't talk about Peak. I just smile and say "Sorry guys but I'm very busy. Merry Christmas" repeat if necessary until they get tired of asking. NEVER talk to the media in uniform.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not a driver but I see no sense in being a lightning rod!

I was approached twice over the years and I said, I'm busy and no comment and gave them Ken Sternad's name. I don't know who the designated spin-master is now.

phox1515

I wouldn't... I know how to talk to the media while still keeping your company name clean (ish) but it's best to leave that to the people trained by the company.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
UPS had its "thought police" at the PCMS today where it instructed us NOT to say anything other than no comment. UPS seems too afraid to "OWN" its mistakes and foulups.

No surprise there. Look at who they hire to manage this place..

TOS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS had its "thought police" at the PCMS today where it instructed us NOT to say anything other than no comment. UPS seems too afraid to "OWN" its mistakes and foulups.

No surprise there. Look at who they hire to manage this place..

TOS.
They probably did not want to single you out but if they were to pick one center in the US, it would be yours!
Just saying.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I will say whatever I want. Wasnt it YOU that started the first amendment thread in current events? Wasnt it YOU that is the defender of the spoken truth?

Chose your hypocrisy carefully, Your sounding like you cant make up your mind.

TOS

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I will say whatever I want.
1) Wasnt it YOU that started the first amendment thread in current events?
2) Wasnt it YOU that is the defender of the spoken truth?

3) Chose your hypocrisy carefully, Your sounding like you cant make up your mind.

TOS
1) Yes with a question mark at the end.
2) Absolutely not - I was setting a trap for fools who think the First Amendment protects freedom of speech from any entity other than the government.

3) In this case, your inability to understand speaks volume.
I'm sure they repeated the instructions (twice) at the PCM just for you.

Since you did not get the gist of the thread the first time, here is a link to the thread so you can try again. :wink-very:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/phil-duck-dynasty-covered-under-1st-amendment.354041/

I would say something along the lines of:

This is my 28th peak and while it has been a tough one it's been the constant support of our customers large and small that has enabled me to provide for my family all these years. All of us are working long and hard to get those packages to our customers as soon as we can.

onehandsolo

Today we were sent omsg's on how to respond to the media. The first amendment ie freedom of speech only protects you from being arrested. Many companies have fired people for what they say.

oldngray

nowhere special
I would just look all studley as usual give em a grin and say merry Christmas.
info-is-classified-light-sign-sm.png
+
go away.jpg

TUT

To me it is unfair to the driver doing this, this isn't a national crisis. When the Bank fraud went down in '08 were they going to Teller's for "their take?". Talk about a slippery slope that would be. However if us regulars had more of a voice like this, perhaps thing in general would be better.

oldngray

nowhere special
Its pretty much a case of not crossing the "thin brown line" to talk to media I think. Whether employees have the right to speak their own mind (they do of course) isn't the issue as much as concern any comments they make might be taken out of context and used to spin the reporter's own agenda.

TUT

I would say something along the lines of:

This is my 28th peak and while it has been a tough one it's been the constant support of our customers large and small that has enabled me to provide for my family all these years. All of us are working long and hard to get those packages to our customers as soon as we can.

And you know what happens? They won't report your wise words, they will find the person with "Worst Christmas ever" and report that. Everytime. Perhaps we should ask reporters "If you were in a crisis and you could help someone, would you record and report it or actually help the situation out with your assistance? I only ask because so many in your profession wouldn't help.".

Or take what you said and come up with this:

"it has been a tough and hard to get those packages to our customers"