So you come in early in the AM and think it's no big deal...

JL 0513

A lot of guys do that. The problem is when you start doing someone else's job without getting paid for it.

I'm not talking about doing someone else's job, although during my first couple of months I actually helped my preloader load all my bulk at the end just because I'm like that. Learned to stop doing that.

I'm talking about required work related to your job. They want you to get out of the building immediately after PCM yet there's DIAD tasks to do. And how about checking to see if you have all of your NDA's? This takes time and if you're PC isn't moving right away you hear the Sups yelling, "Come on, let's go, let's go!!!!"

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I walked in this morning to my load looking like this. Almost every stop was set up piece by piece. Barely any looking for stuff. No need for sorting my truck out when I get in when the preloader does their job right. How dare they!!!!!

Dude you have a good loader. Good for you. With loads that look like that everyday if its like that consistently, you better hook your loader up at xmas with a little sumptin sumptin lol. Our loaders blow :censored2: big time dude, freakin ridiculous everyday the whole entire center.

JL 0513

I also remember during driving school the instructor talking about getting in early. He said this is part of being a "successful driver".

It just seems expected.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just keep doing your thing JL. Some people in society will only do enough to get by and no more. You like me my man aint scared of having to do extra if you have to, to achieve the goal your tring to attain. All boils down to work ethic plain and simple. Can not be denied. I don't like struggling or being stressed. Lets face it UPS will never fix the problem of the loads and dispatch. We all know that and if we are stupid enough to think that well those people are idiots.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When I was trying to make seniority I came in 40 minutes early and did anything I could. Now I sit in my car until 10 minutes before start then hang out and talk until right before PCM when I grab my board. After PCM if my truck isn't ready I go to the bathroom or go looking for totes. I used to help load after PCM until the preload sup got cocky. Once my truck is ready I move things around to make as much of a path as possible if not bricked out and find my air.

JL 0513

Just keep doing your thing JL. Some people in society will only do enough to get by and no more. You like me my man aint scared of having to do extra if you have to, to achieve the goal your tring to attain. All boils down to work ethic plain and simple. Can not be denied. I don't like struggling or being stressed. Lets face it UPS will never fix the problem of the loads and dispatch. We all know that and if we are stupid enough to think that well those people are idiots.

:wink2:

jaker

trolling
I get to work about an hour early ( parking at our hub sucks really bad ) plus it takes me 45 mins to get to work

i take my stuff out my car put it in my truck say hi to my loader and go up front and BS until start time say good bye to my loader leave the hub and finish my air stops , then throw everything on the floor and load the truck like it should be

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I also remember during driving school the instructor talking about getting in early. He said this is part of being a "successful driver".

It just seems expected.
. I laugh when my on car talks about making sure I'm successful. I made seniority so I am successful. The rest is just your fantasyland numbers. I do usually scratch by the way.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't come in and fix preloads problems, driver sups problems, or OMS's problems. I come in 10 minutes before start time, grab my board, take a leak or whatever, don't speak to management, report to PCM, then start my day. The more my load sucks, the more I make. The more misloads they do, the more I make. The more they send me out to fix someone else's problems, the more I make. I could come in and never speak to anyone and I'd be good with that. Call it what you want but I simply come to work to work, I don't care about anything else besides doing what's required of me, that's it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
It is if you pay close enough attention to it. Most people don't pay close enough attention to everything in their surroundings around them. They see half the picture not the whole picture. Im not saying your like that but I see it everyday how people are unaware of many obvious things in their surroundings. Nothing wrong with being an over thinker, keeps ya ahead of the next person and that's exactly where you wanna be.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We'
View attachment 10283 Great work ethic vs View attachment 10284poor ethic. Enough said. Granted theres plenty of guys that have bulk routes that cant do jack crap to their load we get that, but life to the left is a lot easier and stress free than life to the right. You could be heavy as balls on stops but if its organized no stress cruise control all day. Pix to left is 146 stops and 151 miles. Pix to right is 135 stops and 141 miles. Yes we know pieces come into play. Just an example go ahead and hate on it if you like no biggins as we all drink out of that same brown poopy cup lol.
between non existant training and no accountability, you wonder why trucks look like helen keller loaded them with her ass cheeks! All sups ride us about is right packages in the right trucks as fast as possible...no custom loads...don't double touch packages! No, because that might make sense, and logic plays no part in the screwed up dispatch everyday. The good loaders, at least in my center, are those of us who were here before PAL, when we had to know the routes and load by address. And despite the fact that i can jam 400 pieces into a 1200 and make it look so good you'd think the Virgin Mary flew in there and :censored2: the packages on the shelves, we're targets for management cuz we make too much money, and screw up their preload numbers.

Last edited:

mixyo

Dispatcher
I am a preloader. I typically come in about 20 mins early every day. Mainly because I leave my house at the same time every day regardless of start time. When I'm there early I get my trucks/work area set up and help out with other tasks that need to be done.

I couldn't care less about "donating" time to UPS. I don't do anything outside of work anyway.

mixyo

Dispatcher
We' between non existant training and no accountability, you wonder why trucks look like helen keller loaded them with her ass cheeks! All sups ride us about is right packages in the right trucks as fast as possible...no custom loads...don't double touch packages! No, because that might make sense, and logic plays no part in the screwed up dispatch everyday. The good loaders, at least in my center, are those of us who were here before PAL, when we had to know the routes and load by address. And despite the fact that i can jam 400 pieces into a 1200 and make it look so good you'd think the Virgin Mary flew in there and :censored2: the packages on the shelves, we're targets for management cuz we make too much money, and screw up their preload numbers.

Not to mention the poor planning by dispatch, and having to cram 20 pounds of **** into a 10 pound sack because they can't plan accordingly.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
We have guys and girls here an hour or more before there start times. The problem is that UPS make them feel responsible for not making there SPHR or Over/under numbers. The OJS are either hurry up rides or blame it on you ride for not being perfect and working like a robot. When ever they go out on an OJS the focus isn't on the load or the problem on route like traffic and other delays BUT ON YOU.

The union has pretty much gone along with this and the company wins these terminations due to "method errors" nearly 100% of the time. They actual don't win. the driver mostly get there jobs back but NO back pay. Yet, the example is used to scare every other drivers. Mission accomplished.

I don't think that an hour is necessary but 10 minutes early in your truck to talk and help your preloader about this or that and the other ways the load is and the way you like or need it to be isn't the end of the world or a rump hump give away to UPS. At 90k, fully paid healthcare, pension, and only qualifying by being healthy and having an operators license, a little humility will go along way to making your work environment slightly more pleasant.

Just saying.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I don't think that an hour is necessary but 10 minutes early in your truck to talk and help your preloader about this or that and the other ways the load is and the way you like or need it to be isn't the end of the world or a rump hump give away to UPS. At 90k, fully paid healthcare, pension, and only qualifying by being healthy and having an operators license, a little humility will go along way to making your work environment slightly more pleasant.

Just saying.

Is 10 minutes extra going to kill the average driver? Probably not, but why should I have to do a damn thing related to the job when I'm on my time? UPS fires drivers for stealing time, but they'll never say a thing if you are up loading your truck stop for stop an hour before the start, even though I'm stealing, not only my time, but the pre-loaders as well.

I don't work off the clock, as others have said to try to fix managements MANY screw ups. If they screw up, I'll fix it out on the road. They may not like how long it takes me to fix it, but I'll take care of it.

I've been covering a few routes lately that share one loader, and this guy is a rock star. Everything isn't PERFECT, but it's damn close, and as such I've had a few 8 hour days in the last few weeks solely because of his loading (dispatch was crap every day). I told him how great of a job he's doing the other day, and he felt good that I told him that. Hey management, take a page from that book. Thanks and recognition go a lot farther than demoralizing and berating..... my .02

A

anonymous6

you are not including a lot of legal non paid hours associated with any job. average time is probably an hour a day showering, shaving, etc and then commute time and then time when you get off. I figure that is about 300 hours a year.

and how about job related expenses like gas, wear and tear on car, grooming ( which I dont do on vaca ) washing uniforms, lunches , etc. with my 45 min commute , gas alone is 3000 dollars a year. I figure I am gonna save 5 grand a year when I retire.

so I don't start early for no pay.